SASS Wire Forum

Wild bunch in North Texas

thespaniard

Any club in the North Texas área have Wild Bunch matches , would love to participate in one and shoot my grandpas service 1911 who fought in the Pacific , that ultimately landed to me as inheritance :) 

BDA66E16-0857-4333-98D9-242AAC4915B3.jpeg

Yes, the Texas Doughboys shoot the 3rd Saturday each month outside Bowie, TX @ Gunrunner's Gun range..

37 minutes ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Pard That's a WWI 1911. Please have it looked at by someone who knows their Colts and values. that gun if it is all matching is worth serious $$$$$$$$

It’s not for sale it’s a family inheritance belonged to my grandfather and now I have inherited it :) I have another series 80 which I shoot more but this shoots like a champ as well , got it sonic cleaned by a gun shop in Plano.

At CVV & LSFSC in Cleburne on our regular monthly matches you can shoot along with a regular CAS Posse a category we call "PIKE"

It's not Wild Bunch.... It's CAS with a 1911 & it's FUN!!!

I've shot it there a couple of times.

Below is a PDF copy of the Rules

PIKE Rules PDF.... 6:21.pdf

2 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

At CVV & LSFSC in Cleburne on our regular monthly matches you can shoot along with a regular CAS Posse a category we call "PIKE"

It's not Wild Bunch.... It's CAS with a 1911 & it's FUN!!!

I've shot it there a couple of times.

Below is a PDF copy of the Rules

PIKE Rules PDF.... 6:21.pdf 32.79 kB · 4 downloads

This sounds like fun where are y’all located and which weekends y’all shoot , I may swing by soon :)

2 hours ago, thespaniard said:

This sounds like fun where are y’all located and which weekends y’all shoot , I may swing by soon :)

http://www.lsfsc.com/

http://www.comanchevalley.org/

Both clubs are located on the Ormsby Ranch on FM 1434 just west of Cleburne Tx

And we shoot on the 2nd and 4th weekends............. CU There !!!!!!

10 hours ago, Dusty Boddems said:

Thespaniard, we shoot real honest to gosh wild bunch and  always have a large time! After lunch we break out the BAMM Rifles and shoot a couple of stages of that. Come on out and shoot with us! Dusty Boddams

10-4

I wasnt thinking you would sell it. Were it mine I’d get it appraised and get it insured as I doubt your standard firearms policy will cover it.

your 1911 was manufactured in 1915 !!!

Wahoo!!!!

Here ya go. It’s an old Spanish design pistol  that didn’t do anything remarkable. I think Mussolini had a engraved gold plated one. The main unique feature was you could rack the slide one handed because of this lever mounted on the slide. 

3DC9DA35-F4F2-4536-9F50-176A4F13F109.png

3 hours ago, Dusty Boddems said:

Howdy Goody! How are you doing? About this pistol, I have to agree! It also had a tip up barrel to remove a loaded round because it didn’t have an extractor. 

So it's a single shot? What good is the magazine? And finally, those grass fires come anywhere close to you?

On 2/14/2022 at 1:05 PM, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

I wasnt thinking you would sell it. Were it mine I’d get it appraised and get it insured as I doubt your standard firearms policy will cover it.

your 1911 was manufactured in 1915 !!!

Wahoo!!!!

Thanks Dutch for the valuable advice and information. I really appreciate it.

Fellas the Sistema Argentina is one great of a gun , was made under Colt Supervisión and exactly like a Colt 1911 and price is literally 1/4 of a Colt original.

It is an excellent gun, but after many years since I had one, my recollection is that there are a couple of variations and everything may not be interchangeable.  Not certain, what have you found?  I had that same experience with a Remington 1911 which I bought and sold unused when I couldn't build it up.  

Spaniard, I have a 1917 built Colt. I put Wolff springs and a Wilson Shock-buff in mine. Still shoots beautifully even with the horrible sights.

On 2/13/2022 at 11:44 PM, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

http://www.lsfsc.com/

http://www.comanchevalley.org/

Both clubs are located on the Ormsby Ranch on FM 1434 just west of Cleburne Tx

And we shoot on the 2nd and 4th weekends............. CU There !!!!!!

Do they allow to shoot the 1911 with 2 hands more like a modern style or I have to shoot it with one hand ?

Page 18 of the Wild Bunch Handbook:

CATEGORIES
SASS Wild Bunch™ Matches recognize two basic shooting categories based on the
1911 pistol. The two categories are Modern and Traditional. Requirements are as
follows:

MODERN
Modern and Traditional style pistols are allowed.
May be shot in any shooting style.
Any legal rifle or shotgun may be used.
TRADITIONAL
Only traditional style pistols are allowed.
Must be shot one handed unsupported (duelist style). Weak hand may be used for
loading, racking slide, and in case of malfunctions.

Any legal rifle or shotgun may be used

13 hours ago, thespaniard said:

Do they allow to shoot the 1911 with 2 hands more like a modern style or I have to shoot it with one hand ?

If you are asking about their local Pike category, the rules Silver Sam posted didn't specify but I am positive you can do it one-handed or two.  

Now, if you happen to be down around Fredericksburg or San Antonio on a second weekend, you might check out the Texican Rangers.  Most months they shoot both Saturday and Sunday.  There were separate Wild bunch and CAS matches on Sunday last year, but there weren't enough WB shooters to run a posse properly, so this year on Sundays there will be Cowboy 1911 category that shoots with the CAS posses.  They do 4 5-round mags per stage, shooting the regular pistol instructions, then using the 1911 to shoot the rifle targets with rifle instructions, then using their rifle to shoot 6 shots at the Cody Dixon targets which are 50-70 yards out.

That club also has a 4 (I think?) stage Wild Bunch side match at their annual Comancheria Days match, coming up in April.

Archived