SASS Wire Forum

1892 Mares Leg: Best way to convert 44 Mag to 45 Colt?

Wade Butcher

Recently, I bought this beautiful little Chiappa 1892 Puma Mares Leg. It's been a bucket list item for some time now. (One of the older ones with the teardrop lever.) Usually, these cost upwards of $2000 on GB, and they NEVER have such vibrant blues and purples. (Almost always shades of brown and gray.) This particular example is stunning. I love this little gun, and I don't wish to part with it. Ever. However, I'd much rather have it in 45 Colt. So that brings to mind a few questions.

1. Would a new custom barrel made for 45 Colt solve the problem? Would I need to swap anything else?

2. Or would it be better to re-drill the original barrel to 45 Colt specs?

Thanks in advance for all the thoughts.

W.B.

ChiappaMaresLeg2.jpg

ChiappaMaresLeg1.jpg

Good question.  I would replace the barrel since it might be easier and cheaper than reaming out the original barrel.  I am guessing that the tubular magazine could hold 45 Colt cartridges, but I wonder about the receiver and bolt face.  The rim diameter of the cartridges is about the same; 45 at .512 in, 44 Mag at .514 in, but the diameter of the cases is not.  The 45 comes in at .480 in while the 44 Mag is .456.   A gunsmith is the best person to ask.  Nice looking piece, though.

I have one in .44 Magnum.   It's a take down model.   I asked Chiappa about getting a .45 Colt barrel for it, and they basically said it would not work.

I like having it in .44 Mag, as it matches my Large Loop 92 rifle.

I have considered buying another one in .45 Colt, and I think that's a better solution; have one in both calibers.  :)

But man, I wish they still had that lever.   The goofy D shaped one on mine is an eyesore!

Well, I suppose that owning something chambered for 44 Mag / Special would be handy in a SHTF scenario. The more calibers, the better. LOL

Maybe I'll keep looking for one in 45 Colt, then Frankenstein this one with an Apocalyptic theme. New stainless barrel, threaded for a suppressor. :D

W.B.

You can do pretty much anything if you want to spend the $$$. I started in SASS shooting a '94 Trapper .45 LC. Of course it held 1 too few rounds. I looked into converting it to a 20" carbine, Winchester would not sell a barrel. I found some outfit in Montana that would do it for $750 like 20 years ago. I figured out pretty quickly that I was much better off to buy a new '73 than trying to convert to something I probably wouldn't be satisfied with anyway. It's a lovely little gun, but trying to change it to a .45 is probably gonna cost 2-3 times what it's worth.

My 2 cents,

JHC

2 hours ago, Wade Butcher said:

Well, I suppose that owning something chambered for 44 Mag / Special would be handy in a SHTF scenario. The more calibers, the better. LOL

Maybe I'll keep looking for one in 45 Colt, then Frankenstein this one with an Apocalyptic theme. New stainless barrel, threaded for a suppressor. :D

W.B.

44 mag is always a useful gun to have around.  I think you answered your own question. :D And it ain't never a problem to have a second around in another caliber.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

And it ain't never a problem to have a second around in another caliber.

Until you end up at the range with gun number one but ammo for gun number two.

Good excuse to buy another gun lol :rolleyes:

Howdy,

Conversions  always sound great until the price and waiting time etc.

And how do you know you will like the action of the piece afterwards?

What you have looks very nice to me.

Best

CR

I have looked t get one and then send it to Nate Kiowa Jones to have him to make it the same size as the model on Wanted Dead or Alive he did to one of his, and I would rather the “D” shape as that was the first model, and in .44 mag. But now I can’t find them!  

Archived