SASS Wire Forum

Queen Elizabeth visited San Fran

In March 1983, Queen Elizabeth II came to California. Her visit was plagued by chilly winds and rain. At a dinner honoring the Queen in San Francisco she said, “I knew before we came that we had exported many of our traditions to the United States. But I had not realized before that weather was one of them.”

My wife and I went there on a coastline drive vacation. Went spent a couple of days in San Francisco. This was June 30 & July 1, 1985. The first morning we there I had to go find somewhere to get us jackets or something warm to wear. I found a souvenir shop that had sweatshirts. It was in the 40’s and foggy. It was beautiful by noon but darn chilly in the morning. :lol:

Back in the late 80's, I had a business trip to SF. I flew out the weekend before, to spend some time with a good buddy (who was best man at our wedding) and his family who lived near Sacramento.  On Sat, his son was in a premier soccer tournament on the fields near The Presidio. From 9-noon I could not have enough clothes with me. From 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., I couldn't see why I had brought all the clothes I did. I think the total temp swing that day was like 30 or 32 degrees. :lol:

I have lived in the SF bay area for 64 years  I worked as a Union Carpenter  so lots of outside work .. yes it was kind of cold 

But I have never shoveled Snow 

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

In March 1983, Queen Elizabeth II came to California. Her visit was plagued by chilly winds and rain. At a dinner honoring the Queen in San Francisco she said, “I knew before we came that we had exported many of our traditions to the United States. But I had not realized before that weather was one of them.”

On that same trip to the U.S., when the Queen was introduced to the actor John Hillerman who played the Brit, Higgins on Magnum PI, she asked him what part of Britain he was from.  His reply was, I am not from Britain, Your Majesty, I'm from Texas.  His Brit accent even had the Queen fooled.

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Wasn't it Mr Clemens who said something like, "The coldest winter I ever spent was one summer in San Francisco"?

Yep...of course and bunch of people now claim he didn't say that.

Witty Quotes About Science, Nature, Time, Reality, Weather, Tech

My wife spent 4 yrs there during the early 70's attending UCSF Medical School.  I worked all week in Fresno and drove to SF every weekend.  There were no definable seasons; just the same daily fluctuating weather patterns all year.   Warm and sunny one day, then cold drizzly rain the next.   She really missed the warm springtime and hot summer, being a kid who from young age grew up picking grapes and packing peaches to make money for her schooling.  She couldn't wait to graduate and leave the SF weather monotony.  

When I worked there my boss had a German husband.  He described the climate "you have blue days and you have grey days and sometimes it rains."  He moved back to Germany.

And I was there when the Queen visited.  Quite the media event; the mayor, one Diane Feinstein, was in her glory.  Was even reported to have danced like a giddy schoolgirl on the dock where the royal yacht, HRH Brittania, was docked.  And of course there was no shortage of protests and demonstrations - it was San Francisco, after all.

The royals got to spend a few days at the Ahwanee Hotel in Yosemite.  Unfortunately, folks with reservations were sent packing.  Sadly, in advance of the motorcade carrying the Queen and her entourage, a car with three Secret Service agents and a Mariposa County Sheriff's patrol car had a head-on collision; the Secret Service car was on the wrong side of the road and the deputy was speeding.  The three agents were killed.  

Otherwise, a good time was had by all.

Queen Elizabeth II's whirlwind West Coast tour lit up SF

I can imagine Her Majesty with that quiet, knowing smile.
A remarkable woman indeed!
She was a mechanic during the Second Disagreement, she has been the very image of a proper Lady, and she does it with that quiet, understated, incisive sense of humor!

When I was a wee boy we lived in Concord, NE of The Bay. The winters were damp, foggy and uncomfortable. After a big quake in 55 my mom had enough. That summer my dad hung a water bag on the bumper of the 48 Pontiac and we piled in, headed to Florida. :lol:

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

When I was a wee boy we lived in Concord, NE of The Bay. The winters were damp, foggy and uncomfortable. After a big quake in 55 my mom had enough. That summer my dad hung a water bag on the bumper of the 48 Pontiac and we piled in, headed to Florida. :lol:

Bob... wuz you born here?  :huh:  Are you a native californian~??  :o  

Did you have a coonskin cap when you were a li'l kid?  :rolleyes:

Archived