SASS Wire Forum

SASS Florida State Championship History Question

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

As 2022 marks the 16th year that we have been traveling down to Florida for winter/spring matches and, at the conclusion of the Ides of March, will mark 27 major matches that we have attended in the state, 14 State Matches, 10 Regional/Territorial Matches, and 3 Club Annual Matches.  Man, that's a lot of driving, 34,200 miles according to google maps :o, just from home to the ranges, discounting the distances when the Darkness matches and the Ides were back to back weekends.  No wonder I had to replace my truck!  :P

So, as I sit here preparing for the incoming snow storm this coming weekend, I got to thinking about the history of the SASS Florida State Championships before our time coming down which started in 2007.  We would have probably started earlier but we had to wait for our kids to get out of grade school so we could travel during their winter college break.  Below is what I know of the Florida State Championships.  From 2007 until the present, I think I have it right, and I seem to recall that the Last Stand started in 2000, but it may have been before that.  I have also heard that prior to The Last Stand, the Florida State Match was held in Titusville, but I have no confirming information regarding that.

Below is the list of SASS Florida State Championship Matches, to the best of my knowledge.  Can anyone fill in the gaps or provide corrections?

Thanks,

Dogmeat

2091657964_FloridaSASSChampionshipHistory.JPG.e91551a1e5873a0ce9f8669f986e774c.JPG

1 hour ago, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

2018 was hosted by Red Hills Rangers in Tallahassee (Midway).

Thanks Pard, all fixed.  Must not have had enough coffee when I started the spreadsheet.  Time to go back for another round...

450d086cb25393047e0a2af22da883bf.jpg

See you at Darkness Falls & Dark Day (and maybe the OK Corral),

Dogmeat

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

If I remember correctly, there was a match called "The Reckoning" prior the advent of "The Last Stand".

I am wondering if that was the match in Titusville?  When I asked Chuckaroo, he said that was where the State Match was held before last stand, but he was fuzzy on the details.  I am guessing that the Last Stand was all the way back to 2000, it may have been earlier or later than that.  The internet has sparse information from those days.

3 minutes ago, Dutch Coroner said:

2012 was in Saint Augustine and that was the Last, Last Stand. I remember because that was my first trip to FL and my Dad made the trip with me. 

Thanks.  I didn't remember that they held it there for 5 years, but I excavated my digital records and found the following email from Santa Fe River Stan which confirms your statement.    Bolded RED parts are my highlights!  :lol:

I have amended the list yet again... :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Dogmeat

P.S. I have the computer churning the latest Microsoft January Update at the moment, then I will get it to Thurmont before the snow flies on Sunday.

The following was emailed to me way back on May 31st, 2012....

As a past participant of the Last Stand, the TLS Committee wanted to make sure you received the news…..we’re RETIRED!!!!..... A NEW crew has taken over and there is a new name for the SASS Florida State Championship……Siege at St. Ausgustine. They have a new website www.siegeatstaugustine.com  that looks fantastic and has all the pertinent information on it. The dates for 2013 are January 9th thru the 13th. We urge you to check out the new website and get the attached application in early.   Copenhagen , Lil Mis, Von Zipper, Bill Bonney, Deadly Sharpshooter and their entire Posse are going to put on a GREAT match!

Remember…..if you have any questions contact the following folks….NOT US…..WE’RE RETIRED!!!!!...LOL.

Copenhagen - acsr3@bellsouth.net

Bill Bonney - woodmann@bellsouth.net

Deadly Sharpshooter - sharp@ufl.edu

Santa Fe River Stan

P.S. Thanks for all the support over the years! It has been an awesome ….I hope to see you at the Siege in 2013!!!!!

As this year marks the 25th year of operation for the Damascus Wildlife Rangers, located in Damascus, MD and the 22nd year of hosting the Maryland State Championship, Thunder Valley Days, it just got me to thinking about some other states, how long they have had a SASS State Championship, and which clubs have hosted it.  Since Florida is my unofficial 2nd home, I figure I would start there.  Thought it would be a little bit of fun SASS History.

Thanks to the contributors so far, and please keep letting me know, especially about the early days!

Dogmeat

1 hour ago, Dutch Coroner said:

2012 was in Saint Augustine and that was the Last, Last Stand. I remember because that was my first trip to FL and my Dad made the trip with me. 

That's when we met.

It was my first State match.

That was an awesome posse!

Larry Earp, TN Tombstone, Whiskey Creek, Iron Maiden, Copperhead Joe, YOU!

Wow!

44 minutes ago, Waimea said:

That's when we met.

It was my first State match.

That was an awesome posse!

Larry Earp, TN Tombstone, Whiskey Creek, Iron Maiden, Copperhead Joe, YOU!

Wow!

And Sidekick!  And I didn’t even know who he was. Duh. 

4 minutes ago, Dutch Coroner said:

And Sidekick!  And I didn’t even know who he was. Duh. 

Ha, I forgot he was on that posse.

I have a fuzzy memory of attending the state match down there early in the 20 oughts.  I think it was 2002.  That was likely where I met Santa Fe River Stand, but I really can't recall.  That TBI really mucked up my memory.

If my failing memory serves, there were three State Championship matches in the late 90’s; ‘97, ‘98, & ‘99.  I believe two  were in Malabar  and one was in Titusville (Mims).

Also The Last Stand wasn’t t in Kissimmee.  It was held in Orlando at the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club.  Weewahootee (Robert Leath) was Match Director up until about 2010 (?), when he was incapacitated with a stroke.

Before that in the mid and early ‘90’s, there was an annual match in Orlando called “The End of the Trail” that was not SASS affiliated.  That match ran afoul of SASS and The End od Trail because of the obvious name similarity.  I remember going to a meeting with Weewahootee presiding where we were discussing the match name and the legal ramifications whether we should make a “last stand” and hold one more “End of the Trail” matches or not.  Then someone, I don’t remember who, said “Why don’t we just call it The Last Stand” and avoid a lawsuit?” And the rest is history.

That’s the way I remember it.  If it wasn’t that way, it should have been!

39 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

If my failing memory serves, there were three State Championship matches in the late 90’s; ‘97, ‘98, & ‘99.  I believe two  were in Malabar  and one was in Titusville (Mims).

Also The Last Stand wasn’t t in Kissimmee.  It was held in Orlando at the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club.  Weewahootee (Robert Leath) was Match Director up until about 2010 (?), when he was incapacitated with a stroke.

Before that in the mid and early ‘90’s, there was an annual match in Orlando called “The End of the Trail” that was not SASS affiliated.  That match ran afoul of SASS and The End od Trail because of the obvious name similarity.  I remember going to a meeting with Weewahootee presiding where we were discussing the match name and the legal ramifications whether we should make a “last stand” and hold one more “End of the Trail” matches or not.  Then someone, I don’t remember who, said “Why don’t we just call it The Last Stand” and avoid a lawsuit?” And the rest is history.

That’s the way I remember it.  If it wasn’t that way, it should have been!

Thank you for that piece of Florida SASS History!  There is so much history out there in the minds of some of our "More Experienced" shooters that I would hate to see lost.

I remember the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club well.  It was the first match we ever attended that required us to travel and stay in a hotel somewhere.  The props and stage settings that you guys had down there have inspired me to this day.  You had an awesome groups of folks putting it all together!

I remember Weewahootee well, having been introduced to him through Chuckaroo my travel buddy to the Florida State Matches from 2007 through 2016.  He was certainly a force to be reckoned with.  I'm surprised he didn't make SASS change the name of their match! :P

For some reason (probably after getting lost in the Florida Jungle a time or two) I always thought of the range as being in Kissimmee, but you are definitely correct about it being in Orlando.  Coffee, I need more coffee....

Do you recall if the matches at Malabar were at the Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol club and the match in Titusville at the Titusville Rifle & Pistol Club?  Neither of those are listed in the SASS Club listing, but that listing is notoriously incorrect, and those clubs may never have been SASS affiliated.  Also, was it still Weewahootee Vigilance Committee running those matches?  Just trying to make the record as accurate as possible.

Thank you for sharing your memories and I have corrected the chart above.  Stay well and I hope to see you at the Ides!

1 hour ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Thank you for that piece of Florida SASS History!  There is so much history out there in the minds of some of our "More Experienced" shooters that I would hate to see lost.

I remember the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club well.  It was the first match we ever attended that required us to travel and stay in a hotel somewhere.  The props and stage settings that you guys had down there have inspired me to this day.  You had an awesome groups of folks putting it all together!

I remember Weewahootee well, having been introduced to him through Chuckaroo my travel buddy to the Florida State Matches from 2007 through 2016.  He was certainly a force to be reckoned with.  I'm surprised he didn't make SASS change the name of their match! :P

For some reason (probably after getting lost in the Florida Jungle a time or two) I always thought of the range as being in Kissimmee, but you are definitely correct about it being in Orlando.  Coffee, I need more coffee....

Do you recall if the matches at Malabar were at the Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol club and the match in Titusville at the Titusville Rifle & Pistol Club?  Neither of those are listed in the SASS Club listing, but that listing is notoriously incorrect, and those clubs may never have been SASS affiliated.  Also, was it still Weewahootee Vigilance Committee running those matches?  Just trying to make the record as accurate as possible.

Thank you for sharing your memories and I have corrected the chart above.  Stay well and I hope to see you at the Ides!

You are correct about the names of the clubs in Malabar and Titusville.  Neither of those clubs were officially associated with SASS back then and as far as I know still aren’t.  Back before The Last Stand started the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club wasn’t SASS affiliated either.  

The Weewahootee Vigilance Committee srarted with the planning for the first Last Stand.  Before that I don’t think there was a name for the group.  Weewahootee is the name of a long gone Indian village and the name of the road on which the CFRPC is located.  People started calling Robert Leath “Weewahootee” because as Executive Officer of the CFRPC, he ran the club.

A shooter named Poppy wanted to have a match but didn’t get along with Weewahootee all that good to be able to have the match in Orlando at the CFRPC.  So he found other venues for the match.  After The Last Stand started. Poppy quit CAS and took up mounted shooting.  I lost track of him after hat.

See you at the Ides.

There was not a "The Last Stand" in 2002. In 2001 it was held in October and the "Last Stand Committee" decided to change the date to January so they skipped 2002. If I recall correctly the cowboy match at the SunShine State Games in 2002 was the "State Championship". 

"The Last Stand Committee" is the group that "organized" the match. They were separate from the Weewahootee Vigilance Committee in later years for sure. 

Stan

2 hours ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

There was not a "The Last Stand" in 2002. In 2001 it was held in October and the "Last Stand Committee" decided to change the date to January so they skipped 2002. If I recall correctly the cowboy match at the SunShine State Games in 2002 was the "State Championship". 

"The Last Stand Committee" is the group that "organized" the match. They were separate from the Weewahootee Vigilance Committee in later years for sure. 

Stan

If I remember right, the first (and maybe the second) "The Last Stand" match featured stages that were written and staffed by the different clubs from around Florida. I still have a pin on Polk County Cracker/The Last Stand medallion hanging around. 

I remember the Sunshine game State Match. Didn't that feature a berm fire and a mini tornado? At least that's what I recall.

Boy, that seems like a long time ago now.

Edit- 2001 or 02 medallion and 2001 name badge.

20220113_122556.jpg

20220113_123316.jpg

18 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

If I remember right, the first (and maybe the second) "The Last Stand" match featured stages that were written and staffed by the different clubs from around Florida. I still have a pin on Polk County Cracker/The Last Stand medallion hanging around. 

I remember the Sunshine game State Match. Didn't that feature a berm fire and a mini tornado? At least that's what I recall.

Boy, that seems like a long time ago now.

Edit- 2001 or 02 medallion and 2001 name badge.

Dang, I miss all the fun! :lol:  Although I do remember the SNOW in ORLANDO at the Last Stand (the year escapes me) but I distinctly remember standing at the loading table and watching sleet bounce off my rifle while I was trying to load it.  All I could think at the time was... "We drove 950 miles for THIS!?

We thought we had left winter behind in Maryland and had not brought enough winter gear.  Ended up going to Walgreens and buying a bunch of those cheap 4' square roll-up blankets and cutting holes in them to make instant ponchos. :P  Oh, the things we do for FUN!

21 hours ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

Stan

Thank you for the information.  I have made some adjustments to the chart to reflect that new information, although there are now a few new holes to fill.  If you see any other errors, please let me know.

We joined SASS in 2002 and our first match was in November of that year, cold, wet, sleet flying, and I was not sure that Lil would ever come back as she hates cold weather, but she did.  I think I remember the name the SunShine State Games from the Chronicle, but I could be confusing it with something else as a lot of events in Florida get tagged the SunShine something-or-other.  I wonder if I still have that old Chronicle laying around somewhere.  I was saving them for a while back when they were the Newspaper to hand out to folks who were interested in the game.  I will have to look, someday. :rolleyes:

See you in Florida!

Dogmeat

It was in Titusville and Poppy (not the full name) ran the match with his better half. It off the West side of 95 and I think it was around exit 50.  why I remember that I have no idea. It was fun though but in all my 26 years of SASS, the Last Stand was my favorite. I really miss it and the great folks in Florida that we met each year. Shot the Florida State match 17 years straight.  Best place on earth to be in January!!  Chuckaroo

On 1/14/2022 at 7:19 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Dang, I miss all the fun! :lol:  Although I do remember the SNOW in ORLANDO at the Last Stand (the year escapes me) but I distinctly remember standing at the loading table and watching sleet bounce off my rifle while I was trying to load it.  All I could think at the time was... "We drove 950 miles for THIS!?

We thought we had left winter behind in Maryland and had not brought enough winter gear.  Ended up going to Walgreens and buying a bunch of those cheap 4' square roll-up blankets and cutting holes in them to make instant ponchos. :P  Oh, the things we do for FUN!

As I remember, different clubs ran the stage the created. It was a bit of an issue as some had different safety rules. One stage it was a minor safety if you levered the rifle before it was on the shoulder, others it was not.

1 hour ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

As I remember, different clubs ran the stage the created. It was a bit of an issue as some had different safety rules. One stage it was a minor safety if you levered the rifle before it was on the shoulder, others it was not.

2001 I believe was the last time individual clubs ran stages. There was a bit of controversy with one club's interpretation of the 170 on their stage.

Levering the rifle before shouldering was a range rule.....didn't care too much for that one.

2010 was the Snow and Ice year. Most definitely the coldest I've ever been on a range and quite honestly one of my favorite events. That Saturday afternoon was hell....rain, dropping temps and then sleet. One of timers failed on a posse's last stage because of the sleet. We couldn't determine when it had failed and we couldn't ask those folks to stay and reshoot it. We were running out of daylight and the temp was falling still. We had to make one of the hardest decisions a match official can make...Throw out a stage. It had an impact on the outcome of the match but was unavoidable.

As I recall, Delta Glen and I were dragging ass to the banquet (we just got done setting up the shoot-off) that night which happened to be the first year we held it in a big tent at the range. I was thinking what a disaster and no one is going to be in that cold tent freezing their butts off. As we walked up we heard voices and laughter...to our great surprise the tent was FULL of Cowboys and Cowgirls having a good time. I believe Salsa had made arrangements had been made for portable heaters and tent walls. It was actually quite pleasant in there. To be honest seeing all those folks there having a good time in spite of the conditions.....seeing them come out and support us.....it got to me. Validated that all the hard work from the Last Stand Committee Members was not in vain.....I will forever remember those folks on the committee who worked their butts off to put on a world class event and all the wonderful folks that attended it.....all those smiles, laughs and the comradery. Cherished times and memories with great people. 

2010 Last Stand Committee (some where there before and after)

Weewahootee  (Match Director)

Ol-Glor-E (Quiet Muscle)

Shiloh Jasper Green (Prop Master)

Jesse Toothpick (Score Master)

Salsa Sure Shot (Weewahootee Handler and Get it Done Girl)

Black Diamond Doug (Stage Writer and Salsa Keeper)

Dang It Dan (Steel Master and Pain in my Butt)

Delta Glen (Steel Master and Pain in my Butt)

Saltillo Jane (Vendors and Shiloh Keeper)

Lady Robin (Props and Shooter Satisfaction)

Feathers Ryan (Props and Shooter Satisfaction)

Stumpy Ryan (Prop Master)

Hawkeye Gin (Weewahootee Softener.....she made him bearable when he didn't want to be)

Stan (Glad to have been a part of it)

Stan

Well Stan, it's good to see you were shooting a double barrel back them, with two pains in the butt going off at the same time I know you had a blast!  :D

I happen to shoot at the 2010 match, first FL state match I ever shot.....was on the same posse with Slick McClade and the Slick Clan from GA.  Fun time but loading and shooting your guns in the sleet was no fun.

I'll see ya'll at the Ides and at Dark Days.

Kajun

2 hours ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

2001 I believe was the last time individual clubs ran stages. There was a bit of controversy with one club's interpretation of the 170 on their stage.

Levering the rifle before shouldering was a range rule.....didn't care too much for that one.

2010 was the Snow and Ice year. Most definitely the coldest I've ever been on a range and quite honestly one of my favorite events. That Saturday afternoon was hell....rain, dropping temps and then sleet. One of timers failed on a posse's last stage because of the sleet. We couldn't determine when it had failed and we couldn't ask those folks to stay and reshoot it. We were running out of daylight and the temp was falling still. We had to make one of the hardest decisions a match official can make...Throw out a stage. It had an impact on the outcome of the match but was unavoidable.

As I recall, Delta Glen and I were dragging ass to the banquet (we just got done setting up the shoot-off) that night which happened to be the first year we held it in a big tent at the range. I was thinking what a disaster and no one is going to be in that cold tent freezing their butts off. As we walked up we heard voices and laughter...to our great surprise the tent was FULL of Cowboys and Cowgirls having a good time. I believe Salsa had made arrangements had been made for portable heaters and tent walls. It was actually quite pleasant in there. To be honest seeing all those folks there having a good time in spite of the conditions.....seeing them come out and support us.....it got to me. Validated that all the hard work from the Last Stand Committee Members was not in vain.....I will forever remember those folks on the committee who worked their butts off to put on a world class event and all the wonderful folks that attended it.....all those smiles, laughs and the comradery. Cherished times and memories with great people. 

2010 Last Stand Committee (some where there before and after)

Weewahootee  (Match Director)

Ol-Glor-E (Quiet Muscle)

Shiloh Jasper Green (Prop Master)

Jesse Toothpick (Score Master)

Salsa Sure Shot (Weewahootee Handler and Get it Done Girl)

Black Diamond Doug (Stage Writer and Salsa Keeper)

Dang It Dan (Steel Master and Pain in my Butt)

Delta Glen (Steel Master and Pain in my Butt)

Saltillo Jane (Vendors and Shiloh Keeper)

Lady Robin (Props and Shooter Satisfaction)

Feathers Ryan (Props and Shooter Satisfaction)

Stumpy Ryan (Prop Master)

Hawkeye Gin (Weewahootee Softener.....she made him bearable when he didn't want to be)

Stan (Glad to have been a part of it)

Stan

Thanks for the Memories.  I remember almost everyone on the list.  Couldn't ask for a better team.

2010 definitely sounds right for the snow and ice.  It was the last year that both our kids went with us to the match.  Our Grand-Daughter (to our oldest son) was born in May of that year and life has kept him far too busy to come out an play Cowboy.  Our youngest made one more trip with us to St. Augustine, I'm thinking 2015, but Lil and I have been empty nesters on the range since then.  Love to get our grandkids out to play, but life has put other demands on their time.

Thought some of you might remember this souvenir from 2007 that I came across while packing for our Florida Trifecta trip.  As mentioned above, it was our first trip to a Florida match and our first Last Stand.  Well used, and in need of a "bath" :rolleyes:, but a fond memory none the less.

323275223_LastStand2007CanvasBag.thumb.jpg.8d36397d247402e2e47fc52fb17b5416.jpg

Archived