SASS Wire Forum

Is it time to allow on the clock loading of repeating shotguns?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

You've probably never seen it done because it is against SASS safety conventions.

SHB p.13

SHB p.15

Just maybe, it's now time for a change ;)

It was a proven and safe procedure in W3G. 

Respectfully, 

OLG 

14 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

You did not get to see Evil Roy back in the day, or was that him you did see?

That's why Gene switched to a sxs about 2007-2008.

4 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

When Tumbleweed was actively shooting, I think she could take him.

If I shot right handed, I might try it, but I don't think there's any way I could pull that off as a lefty.

Anyone remember a proposal (by a member of the WB) to BAN single loading "over the top" by grabbing 4 or more rounds?

The objection was to use of the hand as a magazine to feed the shotgun.

47 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Anyone remember a proposal (by a member of the WB) to BAN single loading "over the top" by grabbing 4 or more rounds?

Seriously :excl:  :o

First I ever heard of that

OLG

The original poster (OP) was asking about stoking the ‘97 ON THE CLOCK.  Not staging a preloaded ‘97.  There is NO advantage to this, other than the pure fun of blazing off a magazine (four or six rounds according to the stage).  A significant number of responders seem to think he was proposing staging a PRELOADED ‘97 (sort of like we SAFELY do in Wild Bunch competition.  

That’s not what he was suggesting.  As I read the post, he was suggesting that SASS make a rule change to allow “stoking the ‘97 on the clock.  This would mean it would be staged “open and empty” just like we do now.

In my opinion, based on observation, it is NOT possible for a ‘97 to be stoked with 4 to 6 shells on the clock faster than a similarly skilled person can single load and fire the same number of shots.  If someone can stoke 4 shots on the clock and beat the World Record time for 4 shots single loaded, I challenge you to do it and post the video!  CANNOT BE DONE!

If SASS had permitted stoking in the beginning, single loading would most likely never have developed like it did and everyone would be using a double.  (My opinion.)

I would personally like to see such a rule change.  It would not change the game one whit because it would create no advantage (no speed loaders though).  And it would add an element of fun.  

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Yes.  CC wasn't it?

Quite a few years ago,, the late, great Dean of CAS along Colorado's Front Range, Cathouse Bill Blattler and I ran a series of tests pitting sxs, M97 and M87 against each other.  The repeaters were loaded fully under the clock, while the sxs just loaded two at a time, with a total of six shells. Regardless of which one of us shot which, Bill always beat me by a small margin getting off six, but the results were even enough that we concluded it would be about even, which is why I've always advocated for loading the repeaters under the clock and then go to shuckin'.  I shot an '87 for a while, but even with the "Drop Two" mod, I was never as happy as I would have been if allowed to load fully.  So I switched back to a sxs. 

Given it is ALREADY a "legal"  action where the Stage Directions allow... a question for those who "never see it" and/or think it needs to be a "Rule Change"  Have you ever asked the clubs stage writers to include it?  (Or submitted stages including it yourself??) 

Could be those writing stages just haven't thought of it?  

23 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Is this archived anywhere? I'd be interested to read a little deeper on it.

IIRC, it may have been in a "Cowboy Chronicle" editorial many years ago.
My 30+ years of back issues are in a trunk stored somewhere in the darkest recesses of a spare room in the Wolf Den.
There's nothing to "read deeper" into it...he didn't particularly care for that method of loading an 1897 and stated his opinion as such.

16 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

IIRC, it may have been in a "Cowboy Chronicle" editorial many years ago.
My 30+ years of back issues are in a trunk stored somewhere in the darkest recesses of a spare room in the Wolf Den.
There's nothing to "read deeper" into it...he didn't particularly care for that method of loading an 1897 and stated his opinion as such.

Fair enough and thank you. 

Sometimes my inner history geek just has to ask how some things came to be. 

Archived