SASS Wire Forum

Banished Word List for 2022 takes aim at some Aussie favourites

Buckshot Bear

A US university has released its banished words list for the New Year in an attempt to “protect” language

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/banished-word-list-for-2022-takes-aim-at-some-aussie-favourites/news-story/4cf742db3c8eb9b51f68609fc0d5dd8a

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

A US university has released its banished words list for the New Year in an attempt to “protect” language

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/banished-word-list-for-2022-takes-aim-at-some-aussie-favourites/news-story/4cf742db3c8eb9b51f68609fc0d5dd8a

With a Sir name like Szatmary, I guess trying to ban things is in his blood???!!!

There's one (actually since it's a group it should probably be many words) that I wish would be banned. Verbing a noun

For my daughter's 11th birthday I gave her a 22 rifle. I did not gift her with a 22 rifle, I gave her a 22 rifle as a gift. Gift is a noun. You cannot gift somebody something. You cannot noun something. You verb something. You give somebody something.

When I see young people - 30 or younger - saying things like, "I was gifted with a snowmobile", I just sort of groan to myself, because I expect people that young to be uneducated. Not their fault. They don't teach things like English in school anymore.

But when I see someone around my age say something like, "I gifted my son with a Colt Single Action Army", I want to reach through the screen and bitch slap them. If they're close to my age, they should know better.

42 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There's one (actually since it's a group it should probably be many words) that I wish would be banned. Verbing a noun

For my daughter's 11th birthday I gave her a 22 rifle. I did not gift her with a 22 rifle, I gave her a 22 rifle as a gift. Gift is a noun. You cannot gift somebody something. You cannot noun something. You verb something. You give somebody something.

When I see young people - 30 or younger - saying things like, "I was gifted with a snowmobile", I just sort of groan to myself, because I expect people that young to be uneducated. Not their fault. They don't teach things like English in school anymore.

But when I see someone around my age say something like, "I gifted my son with a Colt Single Action Army", I want to reach through the screen and bitch slap them. If they're close to my age, they should know better.

image.png.aeec35a4b7d44842092e3d17046589f7.png

image.png.b3ab250bfdb79d3fef85f0bf0203274a.png

No worries, at the end of the day asking a friend to circle back and deep dive into the new normal supply chain. But at the end of the day you're on mute.:lol: 

Pleaded. I despise the word in the news. 'The defendant pleaded guilty to...'

Plea. Pleading. Pled. Conjugated like feed. I never feeded anything.

And mentee: non existent word. a mentor has a protege, not a mental. Sounds like a subtropical aquatic mammal. 

Archived