SASS Wire Forum

You bet your life

Rye Miles #13621

Jay Leno hosts “You Bet Your Life” 

Kevin Eubanks is his sidekick , funny show, :lol: check it out!

it’s on WBNX on my cable. 

The original was a scripted show. Some later on famous comedians appeared on it when they were young. Funny show. 

The old show wasn’t scripted too well!!  Groucho got spanked more than once for his shenanigans!!

”I like my cigar…” comes to mind.

Yeah! I know there are stories that discount the fact that this happened, but my grandparents from New Jersey and my mother from Tennessee both recounted the story.

My mother despised Groucho and said he DID say it and that the TV immediately went blank.

My dad’s parents both thought it was hilarious and told me they saw it when I was still in grade school! That was in the early sixties.

8 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The old show wasn’t scripted too well!!  Groucho got spanked more than once for his shenanigans!!

”I like my cigar…” comes to mind.

Snopes did a lot of research on that and claims it never happened.

I remember Groucho's show, watched it as a kid and it was funny but I like Jay Leno's better. It's more upbeat, faster moving and just as funny.

I'm a big Jay Leno fan so there's that too!;)

I like Jay too.  A lot of what he does is subtle and he has Groucho’s kind of delivery. Plus! He’s a car guy!

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Snopes did a lot of research on that and claims it never happened.

I don’t trust a thing Snopes says without other verification! There have been too many instances where they have just plain lied about things!!

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I like Jay too.  A lot of what he does is subtle and he has Groucho’s kind of delivery. Plus! He’s a car guy!

I don’t trust a thing Snopes says without other verification! There have been too many instances where they have just plain lied about things!!

I also like Kevin Eubanks , one helluva guitar player! Seems like a genuine nice guy!

I loved watching Groucho!  I like Jay Leno, and he is funny, but not in the way Groucho was.  Incidentally, George Fenneman was the voice for the Voice Reporting Signal Assembly (VRSA) for the Minuteman I ICBM system.  When launch officers in the Launch Control Facilities had a red light come on their panels, they would query VRSA to find out what the malfunction was in the system.  Fenneman's voice would come on, such as, "Channel 9, guidance alarm; All channels (there were 40) monitored."  I thought it was him, and once when he was interviewed on a Denver radio station, I called in and he verified it was indeed his voice.  Said he had been paid some small sum to do the recording.

18 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I loved watching Groucho!  I like Jay Leno, and he is funny, but not in the way Groucho was.  Incidentally, George Fenneman was the voice for the Voice Reporting Signal Assembly (VRSA) for the Minuteman I ICBM system.  When launch officers in the Launch Control Facilities had a red light come on their panels, they would query VRSA to find out what the malfunction was in the system.  Fenneman's voice would come on, such as, "Channel 9, guidance alarm; All channels (there were 40) monitored."  I thought it was him, and once when he was interviewed on a Denver radio station, I called in and he verified it was indeed his voice.  Said he had been paid some small sum to do the recording.

Sure Groucho and Jay are different comedians but I like Jay better! I think he’s wittier.

Archived