SASS Wire Forum

CZ's statement on Colt

DeaconKC

Sounds like they don't paln on slacking off on Colts.

From the article:

"Colt is an important step in realising our vision of getting to 1 billion (euros) in revenue by the end of 2025," CZG's Chairman Jan Drahota told Reuters in an interview at the company's Prague headquarters.

"We ... will be thinking how to make sure the brand is even bigger than it is now and introduce it to wider (markets).

I spoke to a local gun store employee about the new Colt Python.  In his opinion the quality of the new Python has improved since CZ acquired Colt.  Coincidence maybe, or maybe not.  Either way improved quality is a good thing.

Just having Colt run by "gun people" versus previous management should be a major step forward.  Reading between the lines it sounds like Colt will be getting a lot of new machinery which should increase production and reduce cost.

I just wonder how long CZ will keep Colt or at least most of Colt's manufacturing in Connecticut.  Most of the other gun companies in CT have added production facilities outside of CT or left CT altogether due to the high cost of living, taxes and a state government not particularly friendly to gun makers.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

I just wonder how long CZ will keep Colt or at least most of Colt's manufacturing in Connecticut.  Most of the other gun companies in CT have added production facilities outside of CT or left CT altogether due to the high cost of living, taxes and a state government not particularly friendly to gun makers.

CZ has had operations in Kansas City and New York for a long time.  Two years ago CZ announced plans for another manufacturing plant in Little Rock, Arkansas.  I do not know where that project stands.  If CZ-Colt moves out of Connecticut, they have several options already.

Somehow, Colts being made in Texas just seems right.

5 hours ago, Chantry said:

Just having Colt run by "gun people" versus previous management should be a major step forward.  Reading between the lines it sounds like Colt will be getting a lot of new machinery which should increase production and reduce cost

I'm with you.  

I have a few Dan Wesson 1911s and one of their CZ .22 rifles. All excellent in quality and I am sure they will do well with Colt. I would love to see the SAA revolvers become easier to get a hold of new. 

I would not mind owning another Colt single action...BUT...I am going to have to wait and see, not only if they resume production, but will the revolver match the quality of the existing ones. 

The same is true for the Marlin. I am waiting on that one, as well as the model 700 Remington. 

Manufacturers have a multi-level problem. Produce a quality product, that matches, or exceeds, the original models, and also how to keep the retail prices from making the customer sick.

Another problem is the customer is not really interested in any new designs, or add-ons, especially the Colt single action, and also the Marlin, or the model 700. These were/are classic designs. Can you imagine a "barrel warning" on a Colt single action, or a transfer bar?? (the Colt Cowboy had a transfer bar, and that went over like a lead zeppelin)

I am very glad I bought a few Colt single actions, back in the day. 

When USFA went under Colt had a golden opportunity to hire all of those experienced people who know how to build an SAA. Instead they continued to let their production line degrade to the point where a year or two ago they only had one guy left who was assembling them. Had he quit Colt would've been forced to discontinue the SAA. I hope CZ has the common sense to hire some more people and expand the line, and make SAAs affordable to the average working man again.

Many a good company has been ruined by bone-head management decisions. 

The rank-and-file employees, as well as the customers, have to suffer the consequences.

We are all pulling for CZ to do the right thing, and produce a second-to-none quality product. 

The only thing they need to change is: making the product top/higher quality; putting the single action back in the product line; and making more of them, so perhaps the insane prices, they are presently asking, will go down.

Hopefully, they will still make the Colt Single Action here in the U.S.A. :FlagAm: 

If it is made overseas, I won't buy one. 

Like it or not, agree with it or not...the Colt Single Action is more than just a revolver. It is an American icon, and the new owners need to be painfully aware of that. 

If it says Czechoslovakia, or CZ, or B.F. Egypt, anywhere on it, I won't buy one...period! :angry:

36 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

When USFA went under Colt had a golden opportunity to hire all of those experienced people who know how to build an SAA. Instead they continued to let their production line degrade to the point where a year or two ago they only had one guy left who was assembling them. Had he quit Colt would've been forced to discontinue the SAA. I hope CZ has the common sense to hire some more people and expand the line, and make SAAs affordable to the average working man again.

That is a key phrase.  Most if not all the components have been outsourced the past several years.  Witness the desaster with cracked frames from Colt's vendor a couple of years ago.  Cylinders and barrels have been outsourced for at least the past 15 years.

Archived