SASS Wire Forum

First aid question

Alpo

In boy scout first aid they taught us about direct pressure on a wound to stop the bleeding. Now I can see how that would help on an arm or a leg, or the upper chest - pushing on muscle. But how about a wound in the lower torso? If someone got shot in the belly, for example, would direct pressure do any good?

That's the theory behind direct pressure on muscle. But if you were to stop the blood from leaking out of the belly, seems like it would just fill up all the empty spot.

Yes, direct pressure is applied anywhere on the body where a wound has occurred.  However, your question specifically mentioned a gun shot wound.  Unfortunately a gun shot wound is far more severe than direct pressure alone can solve.  There are a lot of other things that need to happen with that one.

:ph34r:   Before QwikClot came along, we carried cayenne pepper for bleeding control.  I know, not pharmaceutical grade, but it worked.

My brother once sliced his palm open fully across and DEEP.  Gushing.  Poured wound full of pepper and bound tightly.  Presto!

Now QC is available in gauze or sponge form, and the 2nd generation avoids the exothermic distress experienced with 1st gen QC and the pepper.

Ain't technology wonderful?

Theoretically, consume more vitamin K....ahem.

5 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

Theoretically, consume more vitamin K....ahem.

But that prevents the anticoagulants from saving your life.

Tough choices.

Lots of choices while your lying there bleeding to death.

22 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

But that prevents the anticoagulants from saving your life.

Tough choices.

I thought vitamin K caused the blood to clot. So taking more vitamin K would make it quite sooner. Wouldn't it?

58 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I thought vitamin K caused the blood to clot. So taking more vitamin K would make it quite sooner. Wouldn't it?

An injection of Vitamin K is the FDA approved method of reversing the effects of Warfarin/Coumadin. If you Ingested a large dose of vitamin K it would take to long to reach your blood stream to be effective in an emergency.

Vitamin K has little to no effect on other anti-coagulants like Pradaxa, Xarelto, Eliquis, and Savaysa . Initally Pradaxa was the only one with an approved drug for reversing its effects. However, all 4 now have an approved reversal drug for use in an emergency..

The direct pressure used on extremities (arms/legs) is pressure against the underlying bone.  Lacking bone in the abdomen makes direct pressure there less effective.  Yet it's still slightly better than nothing at all.  Try to direct that pressure towards the spine for a little more effect.  The bleeding will continue internally.  QuikClot sponge is very good, avoid the QC that is a loose granule as that has to be cleaned out later in the OR when the patient already has a lot to deal with.  I have not seen the granule version is a long time.

It's like your leaking garden hose, compress it against the sand and not much happens, compress it against a board and you can stop/reduce it.  Or stuff enough sponge in it.

If you damages the major blood vessels you need a surgeon now.  Sever the artery and there is no effective medical help.

Archived