SASS Wire Forum

9mm reloads

With other threads about 9mm, availability and pricing didn’t want to hijack so here is the question. 
I went out with a couple friends over the last week to practice with their new S&W Shields and mine (that they had purchased on my recommendation). We used some of my fairly old handloads to the tune of about 600 rounds. Haven’t reloaded 9mm since 2005 and the load was fairly light with a 124gr. jacketed hp bullet, 3.3 gr. clays, federal sp primer at 1.080 oal though I don’t remember where the load came from. Checked what I had to reload with and all that is left is 115 fmj (plenty) and would prefer to save the clays for shotgun. Have plenty of titegroup, clay dot, trail boss and 231. Suggestions?

will be used in Ruger pcc and my shield. 
need to change the oal? Lyman 48-50 do not show the fmj only hp. 
Thanks in advance 

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Thanks just checking to see what others like or if they have a pet load. Have plenty of load manuals and prefer to use them but circumstances are currently crazy. One thing in short supply is time to check out multiple configurations and we are now under stage two fire ban which has limited our ranges as to being open and the discharging of firearms on public property ( BLM, NFS) is currently prohibited. Heck right now not even allowed charcoal grills in your back yard :(  .
Simply trying to get a head start. 
Regards

Gateway Kid

22 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Thanks just checking to see what others like or if they have a pet load. Have plenty of load manuals and prefer to use them but circumstances are currently crazy. One thing in short supply is time to check out multiple configurations and we are now under stage two fire ban which has limited our ranges as to being open and the discharging of firearms on public property ( BLM, NFS) is currently prohibited. Heck right now not even allowed charcoal grills in your back yard :(  .
Simply trying to get a head start. 
Regards

Gateway Kid

I think we’re under a stage nine fire ban. Dried peppers are illegal to sell. Not allowed to pet your dawg’s head too fast. Baseball bats have to be sprayed with fire retardant.  No rapid walking in corduroy pants. No steel taps on your shoes without spark arrestors.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Check the powder maker's load data.

I for one like Blue Dot for 9mm & 40 S&W.

OLG 

I’ve also always liked bd for 9mm , I’ve always used Hercules . Have you ever tried the other brands ? I’ve been told they don’t preform the same 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’ve also always liked bd for 9mm , I’ve always used Hercules . Have you ever tried the other brands ? I’ve been told they don’t preform the same 

They don't, that's why I use BD.

My 9mm load is 7.5 gn Blue Dot w/125gn FMJ.

Equals the NATO load. DO NOT USE IN PO-8 LUGER!

My load has worked well in every gun I have tried it in, including several select-fire full auto guns.

OLG

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

They don't, that's why I use BD.

My 9mm load is 7.5 gn Blue Dot w/125gn FMJ.

Equals the NATO load. DO NOT USE IN PO-8 LUGER!

My load has worked well in every gun I have tried it in, including several select-fire full auto guns.

OLG

WHAT??? not Unique??? :)

Thanks again to all appreciate your experience.

my Lyman 50 has load data for blue dot. It appears that 7.5 grains will be a compressed load in the 9 mm case. Many years ago blue dot was my go to powder for 357 mag and 44 magnum had not really thought of it in a non magnum cartridge.

will give it a try with 50 x 6.5 grains, (minimum) 50 x 7.0 grains, (middle) 50 x 7.5 grains (maximum). Book shows 1.100 for oal with a jhp. will start with that though it may turn out a bit long. See how the two guns like it.

Regards

Gateway Kid

p.s. Never would have dreamed of OLG using something besides unique.:D

Thanks again

KID,

Here is some of my personal load data with the 9mm.

124 gr. Gold Dot     7.3 Blue Dot     OAL:  1.130     Avg Vel:  1182

124 gr. Scarlett's    3.5 Clean Shot   OAL:  1.085    AV:   977   (lead bullet)

124 gr. Scarlett's    4.0 Clean Shot   OAL:   1.085     AV:  1025   (lead bullet)

115 gr. Berry's       4.4  Clean Shot    OAL:  1.125     AV:  1154

115 gr. Berry's       6.1  Power Pistol     OAL:  1.125     AV:  1138

Check out my 124 Scarlett's bullet using 3.5 Clean Shot,  10 shot string:

971,   971,   973,   976,   976,   978,   978,   982,   982,   983.       This 10 shot string only had a 12 fps variation from slowest to fastest.

I consider this excellent for ANY cartridge.

The above results were from a 4.7" barrel SIG P320  and the SIG PPQ 5" barrel pistols.

The ONLY accuracy results I made were with the 124 GD with 7.3 Blue Dot, of which the results were VERY GOOD.

Hope this helps.

..........Widder

1 minute ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

KID,

Here is some of my personal load data with the 9mm.

124 gr. Gold Dot     7.3 Blue Dot     OAL:  1.130     Avg Vel:  1182

124 gr. Scarlett's    3.5 Clean Shot   OAL:  1.085    AV:   977   (lead bullet)

124 gr. Scarlett's    4.0 Clean Shot   OAL:   1.085     AV:  1025   (lead bullet)

115 gr. Berry's       4.4  Clean Shot    OAL:  1.125     AV:  1154

115 gr. Berry's       6.1  Power Pistol     OAL:  1.125     AV:  1138

Check out my 124 Scarlett's bullet using 3.5 Clean Shot,  10 shot string:

971,   971,   973,   976,   976,   978,   978,   982,   982,   983.       This 10 shot string only had a 12 fps variation from slowest to fastest.

I consider this excellent for ANY cartridge.

The above results were from a 4.7" barrel SIG P320  and the SIG PPQ 5" barrel pistols.

The ONLY accuracy results I made were with the 124 GD with 7.3 Blue Dot, of which the results were VERY GOOD.

Hope this helps.

..........Widder

Thank you Widder.

My Bullets are Remington FMC 115 grain. I have about 5,000 of them and one mostly full can of Blue Dot. 8# of Titegroup, 8# of ClayDot, 4# of Clays, some trail boss, 231, maybe 2# of unique as well as several rifle powders. Nothing for powders to be had around here for the time being so will have to work with what I have.

Thanks for your experience and suggestions, will keep them in mind.

BTW you still have a 357 sig? Have some correct head stamp mixed I picked up as part of a lot at a yard sale. Yours if you want it about 200 or so. Just let me know.

Regards

Gateway Kid

Thanks for the .357 SIG brass offer but I actually got more than I'll ever need now.

I was able to pick up a few hundred pieces recently and will probably never use it up..... but I'll sure try.  ;)

I also do A LOT of 10mm,  .460 Rowland and 'hot' .45 Colt reloading, chronograph and accuracy testing.

I love shooting the high performance stuff with the exception of the S&W monsters.

Those powders you have are great powders for the 9mm and other cartridges.   No need to buy more.

Good luck working up a good 9mm load for yourself.

..........Widder

At the IDPA  and USPSA Championship matches they list the most popular powders in use. For 9mm Titegroup is used more than ALL other powders combined. I think the reason we don't see it a lot on this forum is it isn't listed in the lyman pistol reloading book. But every other reloading manual except VV lists it.

15 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Thanks again to all appreciate your experience.

my Lyman 50 has load data for blue dot. It appears that 7.5 grains will be a compressed load in the 9 mm case. Many years ago blue dot was my go to powder for 357 mag and 44 magnum had not really thought of it in a non magnum cartridge.

will give it a try with 50 x 6.5 grains, (minimum) 50 x 7.0 grains, (middle) 50 x 7.5 grains (maximum). Book shows 1.100 for oal with a jhp. will start with that though it may turn out a bit long. See how the two guns like it.

Regards

Gateway Kid

p.s. Never would have dreamed of OLG using something besides unique.:D

Thanks again

:lol:

Set your COAL at 1.155 for FMJ, and you'll be fine.

OLG

Archived