SASS Wire Forum

Red River

Trailrider #896

Watched "Red River" for about the fourth time in recent days...they keep showing it on cable.  Of course I saw it when I first came out in a movie theater.  One thing I never could understand was the words being sung in the background at various times.  Something about "bound for Missouri", but that's about all.  The other melody was the one Dean Martin sang in "Rio Bravo".

The other thing about the cowboys in Red River, only one, "Buster" (Noah Beery, Jr.) was dressed like one out of a Charlie Russell painting...the way it really was.  His holster looped up over his belt, instead of a Hollyweird droploop.  Speckled shirt and round-brimmed hat.  Of course, for "1865" the guns were about 8 years too early.  Nevertheless, I always love that film.

My DVD shows the lyrics on closed captioning.  If no one else has the lyrics handy I will transcribe for you.

Agree on Buster’s costume.  Superb!!

I saw Red River at a drive-in theater with dad, mom, and sis in ‘48.  I had nightmares about the stampede for years!!

One of the Duke’s finest.

I always smiled when I saw John Wayne wearing the "Red River D" belt buckle in his later films.  Shows what the Duke thought of "Red River."

"Red River" is a very good movie!  One of the best.  Five Stars out of Five Stars in my humble opinion.

It is one of my favorites as well!! In no particular order, Red River, Stagecoach, and The Searchers!  You’d think that an Academy Award would have been earned for at least one of the three!!

Howdy,

Please note that NOT all RR buckles have the same year.

There is a website about red river belt buckles. Guess what its called....

1946 is the original year as that's the  year filmed.

The buckles were originally made with each persons initials so they

don't all match.  

Best

CR

One thing I never quite figured out: At the end, when Tom Dunston says to add an M to the Red River brand, shouldn't that have been a G for Garth, rather than for M for Matt.  Why?  Just a mistake in the continuity of the movie?  Or was Tom still trying to be the big wheel/Daddy? :unsure:

Google search has the same question asked many times going back at least 12 years.  The song lyrics in Rio Bravo are not the same as in Red River.  Same tune.  Closed caption interpretation may be someone's best guess, if it comes across at all.  I did not search long.

wikipedia:

"The song "Settle Down", by Dimitri Tiomkin (music) and Frederick Herbert (lyric), heard over the credits and at various places throughout the film score, was later adapted by Tiomkin, with a new lyric by Paul Francis Webster, as "My Rifle, My Pony, and Me" for the 1959 film Rio Bravo.[8]"

On 4/7/2020 at 5:05 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I always smiled when I saw John Wayne wearing the "Red River D" belt buckle in his later films.  Shows what the Duke thought of "Red River."

"Red River" is a very good movie!  One of the best.  Five Stars out of Five Stars in my humble opinion.

When I first started shooting End of Trail a Coto De Caza 1985 my alias was Heavy Duty. EoT was 1982-1991 at Coto De Caza (10 years) SASS started in late 1987 and I joined Feb 1988. Changed my alias to Big Jake and asked Judge Roy Bean #1 if I could have #1001, He said YES. After the monthly match a bunch of us went over to Harper's house in Coto de Caza and he showed me his belt Buckle Collection hanging in a shadow box on the wall. He opened it and gave me the Red River D Belt Buckle cuz I reminded him of John Wayne. I asked Mike Soculose about it and he said it was the Prototype for the Cast Bronze buckles he makes and sells. I thanked Harper Creigh very much for the buckle and wore it for 20 End of Trails I shot and all the annual events and monthly shoots.

Red River D.jpg

Howdy,

Now on that buckle there are NO initials inside the little loop.

So the buyer could leave it or put in JW or HWH or even their own??

Maybe CR would look good?

1948 is the year the movie was released.

Its a nice lookin buckle that sure aged well.

Best

CR

Archived