Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bisley Joe

1862 Police Conversion?

Recommended Posts

Considering the 1862 Police Conversion for my wife. They're in 380 auto, and I figure I can reload that in black powder.

https://www.ubertireplicas.com/product/1862-police-conversion/

They come in 3.5 to 6.5 inch barrels, so I figure something around 4 or 4.5 would be perfect.

I asked about this a while back, but can't find the thread. Also, in the rules I couldn't find anything precluding their use, even though they are five shooters. Am I missing something?

Are there any worthwhile lever actions in .380?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rules do specify that 5 shooters are legal but must have a safety notch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe, read this thread:

 

Best advice is to let your wife shoot something before buying her anydangthing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See if someone has some .38 open tops she can shoot. It'd be a LOT easier to find a rifle and reloading a common caliber would be easier on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The general consensus of the ROC is that the revolver in question fails to fit the criteria for either a SASS main match firearm, or as a pocket pistol.

Considerations discussed:

(1) Revolver Calibers 

...

- Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers.  Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt. 

SHB p.38

 

(2)- Five-shooter revolvers may load five rounds, but the hammer must rest on a dummy chamber or safety slot/pin in the cylinder to avoid the hammer resting on a live round/cap. 

SHB p.14

(This model has a "Uberti-patented firing pin safety" which would limit it to 4 rounds loaded at the LT)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Are there any worthwhile lever actions in .380?

 

Thanks!

The pistols are one thing to consider, but as far as I'm aware, there are no lever guns chambered for the .380 acp.

Light loaded .38 spl is the way to go. We have had several kids start out with them. And the choices for pistol and rifle are plentiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may want to consider Cimmaron Lightnings or Model P Jr, both 6-guns.  Sexie Sadie has been shooting a pair of .38 Spl Lightnings for maybe 15 years now.  I load light .38 special or more recently .38 long with 125gr bullets for minimal recoil.  The birdhead grips are great for her small hands.  She has tried them with black powder subs, but the close tolerance of these guns make for quick fouling.  If BP is preferred, check out the .36 1862 Sheriff models (Pietta) from Dixie Gun Works.  We have a pair of these and they are my favorites.  You can probably convert them to cartridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PaleWolf already noted those likely going to work.

 

I have a friend who's bride shoots a pair of Vaqueros in .32.  I have not shot them but they seem pretty tame.  Another option, a while back I tried a batch of .38  105gr bullets.  Those didn't hardly buck at all.  I'd maybe give a batch of those a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 12:44 PM, Artie Fly, SASS #25397 said:

You may want to consider Cimmaron Lightnings or Model P Jr, both 6-guns.  Sexie Sadie has been shooting a pair of .38 Spl Lightnings for maybe 15 years now.  I load light .38 special or more recently .38 long with 125gr bullets for minimal recoil.  The birdhead grips are great for her small hands.  She has tried them with black powder subs, but the close tolerance of these guns make for quick fouling.  If BP is preferred, check out the .36 1862 Sheriff models (Pietta) from Dixie Gun Works.  We have a pair of these and they are my favorites.  You can probably convert them to cartridge. 

 

I have a pair of Navy .36s that I have yet to shoot. They were a gift from a friend. I have considered converting them with the cylinders, but have heard conflicting information that I may have to line the barrels or use hollow base bullets, that the cylinders may need a gunsmith to fit them. If that's true, it seems like keeping them cap and ball and getting a pair already in 38 is cheaper, more reliable, and faster.  Am I wrong here?

Also, there are the gated cylinders and the ones you have to remove to reload. Seems like the gated ones are better.

Regardless of conversion or not, I'll likely either cut back the barrels on the 36s to about 4" (or buy a pair pf barrels at that length or 4.75") and remove the ramrod levers.

Ideas and comments welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 1:14 PM, Croc Holiday said:

PaleWolf already noted those likely going to work.

 

I have a friend who's bride shoots a pair of Vaqueros in .32.  I have not shot them but they seem pretty tame.  Another option, a while back I tried a batch of .38  105gr bullets.  Those didn't hardly buck at all.  I'd maybe give a batch of those a try.

I will probably pass on the .32 simply because there don't seem to be many rifle choices in that caliber, and .38 shouldn't be too bad at all, especially using light BP loads.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 10:28 AM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The general consensus of the ROC is that the revolver in question fails to fit the criteria for either a SASS main match firearm, or as a pocket pistol.

Considerations discussed:

(1) Revolver Calibers 

...

- Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers.  Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt. 

SHB p.38

 

 

 

 

I'm not overly familiar with 380 acp, so perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was the same caliber as a 9mm. Isn't the 9mm allowed in SASS? Or am I wrong on that? Caliber stuff gets pretty confusing for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I'm not overly familiar with 380 acp, so perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was the same caliber as a 9mm. Isn't the 9mm allowed in SASS? Or am I wrong on that? Caliber stuff gets pretty confusing for me

 

That is a good point.  The rulebook mentions caliber, then proceeds to list chamberings instead of calibers for examples.  Although that is a moot point regarding this particular conversion, since you could only load 4 and hammer down on empty (hmm, or could you load one on the clock???)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

 

That is a good point.  The rulebook mentions caliber, then proceeds to list chamberings instead of calibers for examples.  Although that is a moot point regarding this particular conversion, since you could only load 4 and hammer down on empty (hmm, or could you load one on the clock???)

That would be my suggestion if one was really inclined to use this particular revolver. Personally, I'd rather keep the police a cap and ball gun and go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 11:43 AM, Bisley Joe said:

Considering the 1862 Police Conversion for my wife. They're in 380 auto, and I figure I can reload that in black powder.

 

I see a lot of women shooting Rugers and standard sized Uberti/Pietta single actions in 38sp.  With all the thinner grip options out there and even the option of changing to a smaller grip frame I would let your wife handle some guns before purchasing anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the best course of action is to go to a match or two and let my wife handle some of those revolvers.

In the meantime, I'll let her mess around with my 45 open tops and the Navy revolvers in 36, once I actually get powder and cap and ball for them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Glossary of Terms definition of "commonly available", I certainly would think it would be legal, but apparently not.

 

Commonly available – obtainable by anyone given ordinary circumstances with ordinary means.

 

They're in 380 auto, and I figure I can reload that in black powder.

 

While you can reload .380 with black powder, it won't be legal for a black powder category because it won't meet the smoke standard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.