SASS Wire Forum

Steel from Bicycle Tires

Subdeacon Joe

What a process! Pretty cool, thanks for posting.

That is a neat process. Very interesting. 

I sent the video to my SIL and Grandson. They’ll get a kick out of this. My Grandson goes through bicycle tires like crazy. 

Thanks Joe. :D

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I knew a man not all that long ago (Longline Charley Glackman maybe.  I don't remember for sure.) who made Damascus-looking knife blades from elevator cable.  Not as pretty as these but spectacular anyway and stronger than any I've seen.  I wish I'd have kept the three I got from him.

Did you notice this Ukranian doesn't wear gloves while handling the hot steel?  He tougher than I am.  And braver.

18 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Did you notice this Ukranian doesn't wear gloves while handling the hot steel?

I did notice.  Was amazed at how long he could grind/sand just holding the blade like that against the power tool.  But then I thought back to my days as an assistant in the Palomar JC art department loading, firing, and unloading kilns.  Could easily handle things that were just below the "ping" stage (when they are hot they will ping if there is too much temperature difference when you take them out of the kiln, if they don't ping it is safe to bring them out).  People would grab their wares and instantly set them down as too hot to hold.

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It only looks like Damascus steel

Hmm..that sent me scrambling for more information.  Seems that the "real" Damascus formula and process is lost; so nobody makes "real Damascus" anymore.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

LL

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:
12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I knew a man not all that long ago (Longline Charley Glackman maybe.  I don't remember for sure.) who made Damascus-looking knife blades from elevator cable.  Not as pretty as these but spectacular anyway and stronger than any I've seen.  I wish I'd have kept the three I got from him

This one was made from cable.

625995503_CustomcableDamascus2.jpg.9075cfa06488d6ecc6fca15c90efdc64.jpg

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Hmm..that sent me scrambling for more information.  Seems that the "real" Damascus formula and process is lost; so nobody makes "real Damascus" anymore.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

LL

There's a guy up in Minnesota who figured out the process and made a beautiful Viking sword from it. It was the subject a documentary I saw (PBS?).  I posted it a year or two ago, but can't find it on this forum.

15 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

There's a guy up in Minnesota who figured out the process and made a beautiful Viking sword from it. It was the subject a documentary I saw (PBS?).  I posted it a year or two ago, but can't find it on this forum.

Food seasoning is for show. I would be very surprised it it was left in the can as it could cause an oclusion in the metal.

The Zinc Oxide in the white out makes it easier to seperate the can from the contents.

Archived