SASS Wire Forum

Bearly Escaped Serious Injury

Subdeacon Joe

Bear falls onto Humboldt County sheriff’s deputy’s car

ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 9, 2019, 5:53PM

Updated 7 hours ago
Follow this story

HOOPA — They probably don’t train people for this at the Sheriff’s Academy.

A patrol car was struck by a falling bear in Humboldt County last weekend.

A Humboldt County sheriff’s deputy was driving on State Route 96 on Aug. 3, answering a report of a drug overdose in the community of Orleans, when the bear fell or jumped onto the car, apparently from a steep embankment, authorities said.

The bear smashed the hood and windshield. The patrol car hit an embankment, rolled onto its side and burst into flames.

The deputy managed to escape without serious injury.

The fire was contained to about half an acre but the car was gutted.

“Don’t worry, the bear also fled the scene,” Caltrans said.

Just the "Bear" facts officer!

One of the USDA Food Inspectors whom I supervised was a grandma in her 60s.  She  hit a deer on a back country road; shattered her windshield, necessitating a very slow drive back to her duty station.  I found her covered in windshield fragments but fortunately not obviously injured.  But I transported her to a nearby clinic to be examined by a doctor.  Her car was not drivable with the broken windshield.

On the way to the clinic, just to make conversation and make sure she was still “with me”, I asked her if the deer had jumped out from the right or the left side of the road.  She replied, “I don’t know Doc.  All I saw was this big f...ing eyeball!”

After I stopped laughing, I told her to be sure to include that in her report.  :)

Had a friend killed and his nearly new '63 T-bird destroyed when he hit black angus bull up at Craters of the Moon in Idaho.  The bull didn't survive, either.

I hit a mule deer doe and only got a parking light broken on my '63 Buick Special.   The deer was killed.

Everyone draws a different hand.

I once took a forked-horn blacktail buck with my '74 FIAT 124 Spider....  busted headlight and he was delicious.   :rolleyes:

Archived