Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Hollywood Super Henry

Recommended Posts

 

In the most generic sense of the term, a "Hollywood Henry" is just a Winchester, any model, with the forestock removed.  

 

The most "accurate" Hollywood Henry, that is to say a gun that might actually fool someone at a quick glance, would be a Winchester 66.

 

The most commonly seen Hollywood Henry is probably a Winchester 92.

 

Which then brings me to this.   The 92, as we all know, is just a scaled down 86.   I therefore propose that an 86 with the forestock removed could be called a "Hollywood Super Henry."

 

Now that this silliness is out of my system, I'll try to think of something more useful.   :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I can see that. So where does the Winchester 76 with forearm removed fit into the line up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The '66 was also a Hollywood Henry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lead Monger said:

OK, I can see that. So where does the Winchester 76 with forearm removed fit into the line up?

 

Uhm....   The "Accurate Looking Super Henry?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one on the bottom is my “Super Henry”.  It has been short-stroked and some other internal mods along with the home-made forend (which only slides over the magazine and is not attached with screws).  I call it my “full-race” Henry.C27873B7-24CF-4571-B173-880C0DED63ED.thumb.jpeg.34087cf686949aab30b04f05ba6f8503.jpeg5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Would a short barreled 86 be an actual Mares Leg?  Could you imagine actually having a gun that could load the bullets from his belt?  Now that would be a special order from Uberti! A 10-11” barrel, probably like shooting the BFR from Magnum Research. 

Edited by Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439
Misspelling and additional comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

The one on the bottom is my “Super Henry”.  It has been short-stroked and some other internal mods along with the home-made forend (which only slides over the magazine and is not attached with screws).  I call it my “full-race” Henry.C27873B7-24CF-4571-B173-880C0DED63ED.thumb.jpeg.34087cf686949aab30b04f05ba6f8503.jpeg5

How does the follower go through  the forearm when shooting?   Thanks Bullett 19707

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmmm , never really thought of this that much , i have noticed the film irregulars without trying to guess , let alone pin down the erroneous item , a whole new reason to re watch some of my favorite films , hollywood often butchered real nice collectors to make them appear real , ive known that as a kid my dad would point such out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Would a short barreled 86 be an actual Mares Leg?  Could you imagine actually having a gun that could load the bullets from his belt?  Now that would be a special order fro Uberti!

 

You mean...

 

IMy86MaresLeg.thumb.jpg.99053bf113867efa302ee46a19c328c7.jpg

 

Obviously not real, but with some cutting and pasting, this is what an 86 Mare's Leg would look like.  

There is an 18" 86 on the market, I think Chiappa.  All you'd have to do is cut the shoulder stock and get the lever modified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

How does the follower go through  the forearm when shooting?   Thanks Bullett 19707

 

I use a wood dowel as a spacer to go on top of the 10 rounds in the mag tube.  I milled a slot in the forend to allow the Henry follower to go into the forend enough to let the dowel to pusher the cartridges onto the lifter.  We are at the beach right now, but when I get back home next week I’ll take some more detailed pictures and post them for those who might be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

 

I use a wood dowel as a spacer to go on top of the 10 rounds in the mag tube.  I milled a slot in the forend to allow the Henry follower to go into the forend enough to let the dowel to pusher the cartridges onto the lifter.  We are at the beach right now, but when I get back home next week I’ll take some more detailed pictures and post them for those who might be interested.

I’m interested and looking forward to your post. I use a dowel as well that allows me to avoid the “Henry hop”. I’ve often wondered about a slip on fore end. 

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

 

I use a wood dowel as a spacer to go on top of the 10 rounds in the mag tube.  I milled a slot in the forend to allow the Henry follower to go into the forend enough to let the dowel to pusher the cartridges onto the lifter.  We are at the beach right now, but when I get back home next week I’ll take some more detailed pictures and post them for those who might be interested.

I wonder if that would be an allowed modification?  I like shooting my Henry every once in a while, but hate the Henry Hop. I use a dowel, but have  to hold the rifle just in front of the receiver, which reduces accuracy. 

Looking forward to pictures! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I wonder if that would be an allowed modification?  I like shooting my Henry every once in a while, but hate the Henry Hop. I use a dowel, but have  to hold the rifle just in front of the receiver, which reduces accuracy. 

Looking forward to pictures! 

I'm guessing it's not because the gun wasn't offered with one back in the day. I've been wrong before, though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 11:30 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

You mean...

 

IMy86MaresLeg.thumb.jpg.99053bf113867efa302ee46a19c328c7.jpg

 

Obviously not real, but with some cutting and pasting, this is what an 86 Mare's Leg would look like.  

There is an 18" 86 on the market, I think Chiappa.  All you'd have to do is cut the shoulder stock and get the lever modified.

Much shorter barrel like on Steve’s version of a Mares Leg. On the 92 he customized. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 8:31 AM, Hoss said:

I wonder if that would be an allowed modification?  I like shooting my Henry every once in a while, but hate the Henry Hop. I use a dowel, but have  to hold the rifle just in front of the receiver, which reduces accuracy. 

Looking forward to pictures! 

Would that actually be considered a modification? I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly would like to know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From The Shooters Handbook:  

Stocks and Grips
- The length or style of stock may be altered or replaced 

 

I don’t think there would any problem, particularly since transitional Henry’s had forends and it appears to me that it falls under altering the length and style of stock as permitted in the SHB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.