SASS Wire Forum

Gun inventory software? Suggestions?

If I were keeping a list, I would keep two list. One would have everything on it and the other would have only registered guns on it. The first would be hard to find and the second one would be kept locally.  

I use an excel spreadsheet for mine as well as taking jpg pics of all my guns.  I keep a backup copy on dropbox.com of both the spreadsheet and the photos.  Spreadsheet contains make, model, serial number, caliber/gauge and a comments field.

Gun Log SPC App on my iPhone. 

Brand, model, caliber, type, serial number, accessories, date purchase, from who, purchase price and large comment section.  Maximum of four pictures can be associated with each firearm.  I take one picture of the overall firearm, a close picture of the serial number and one of the purchase receipt.  Pictures are my proof of ownership for my Insurance company.

App is password protected along with my iPhone's password.

If I'm traveling and have a firearm stolen I can email the particulars of the firearm to the investigation Officer.  

I don't store firearms records on my home computer (thief steals my computer) nor do I have a written inventory at home (the possibility of a nosey person) and if I have a house fire all my records would go up with the house.  Store off site is an excellent safe guard, IF you don't postpone updating your records for a later time and end up not updating.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:16 AM, Outrider Outlaw said:

I use an excel spreadsheet for mine as well as taking jpg pics of all my guns.  I keep a backup copy on dropbox.com of both the spreadsheet and the photos.  Spreadsheet contains make, model, serial number, caliber/gauge and a comments field.

I also do this on an Excel spreadsheet that's password protected.  I have another tab for who I sold one too. (I don't usually do it but I have sold a few). Yet another tab has my reloading equipment listed.

Pictures are in a different picture folder.

Mystuff2 Pro. An app for your phone and computer. Does everything you’re asking plus. Easily backup, simply add a catagory of guns. 

I don't use Excel  - I use OpenOffice.  Its freeware and does the same thing without putting any money into Microsoft's coffers.

I use Excel.  I have 1 main tab that has them all listed with the most relevant info, and another sheet with info on research I've done or trips to the gunsmith.  If you're not worried about having it online or in the cloud, then you could use google sheets too.  I use google sheets for a number of things and it sure is handy to be able to pull things like vehicle maintenance records (or my own maintenance records) up on my phone. 

I don't worry about pictures, but I do have a lot of pics of pretty much everything I own.  They're all disorganized in various directories all over the place.  Mixed in with pictures of guns I thought about owning or wished I owned.  Not exactly a good system, I'll admit. 

Archived