SASS Wire Forum

Something I've been wanting to ask

Boomstick Bruce

So I've been waiting to see someone else ask this question but no one has.

In a state level match. You have the overall winner and the state champion. Sometimes it is the same person, sometimes it isn't because of the person's residency. What about individual categories? Say you are a resident of the state the match is held in and you come in second in your category but the guy that wins the category is not a resident of your state. How are the awards handled? Is the resident the "state champion *enter category* " even though he came in second or is the non resident? 

I can't speak for other State matches, but the TN State recognizes the overall in the category AND the highest one from

Tennessee as the 'State Champion' of that category.

..........Widder

Exactly the same way as the overall. I got a buckle for TN State Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter a few years back because I was the only one from Tennessee that year in that category. 

Determining the SASS State Action Shooting Champions:

-         The highest overall placed male and female whose primary US residence is located within the State boundaries will be recognized as the SASS State              Champions and will receive a free entry to their Regional Event.

-         The determination of primary residence may be established by any one of the following means:

• A valid US Driver’s License  
  • Residential status confirmed by most recent County Taxation documents  
  • Current utility bill for the nominated address in the state/region

-         Details

• Shooters from outside the region are encouraged and welcome to compete and may win their nominated shooting category and match overall but are not eligible to win the SASS State/Regional Champion title.
  • Shooters who own multiple residences must declare one as their primary residence and will only be eligible to win the SASS Champion award for that region in which they designated as their primary residence.
  • Shooters may only compete for the recognized SASS State/Regional Champion award in one Region in a Calendar Year period. (NO dual residence competing)  

We ran the 2018 NM State Championship exactly as laid out in the STATE ACTION SHOOTING CHAMPIONSHIP APPLICATION AND AGREEMENT

So we had some folks who were State Champ AND Category First Place.

And we had some out of staters who were Category First Place.   In one case, the State Champion was 3rd in their Category.  Buckles for the State Champs.   Statues for category 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Good luck, GJ 

2 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

So I've been waiting to see someone else ask this question but no one has.

In a state level match. You have the overall winner and the state champion. Sometimes it is the same person, sometimes it isn't because of the person's residency. What about individual categories? Say you are a resident of the state the match is held in and you come in second in your category but the guy that wins the category is not a resident of your state. How are the awards handled? Is the resident the "state champion *enter category* " even though he came in second or is the non resident? 

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I can't speak for other State matches, but the TN State recognizes the overall in the category AND the highest one from

Tennessee as the 'State Champion' of that category.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Exactly the same way as the overall. I got a buckle for TN State Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter a few years back because I was the only one from Tennessee that year in that category. 

At the Tennessee State Championship we recognize all Category State Champions first with a State Champion plaque or buckle depending on what we have decided to use that year. Once all Category State Champions have been recognized we start with Category Awards, then Overall State Champions and end with Overall Champions.

Shown are the State Champion buckles and Category 1st Place Awards from 2018.

Thanks

Randy 

Sorry 2 of these are sideways, they weren't that way in .my files

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_E3858.JPG

Had this happen to me at the Mo state match a few years ago

Finished 2nd. in Silver Senior GF and won the Mo state championship , the 1st. place winner was from Tx.   

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I like this ,the 2nd place shooter in a gunfight gets a winners buckle Sounds like part of the NEW GREEN DEAL.:huh:

Archived