SASS Wire Forum

New Service Revolver

I bought a New Service revolver from a fellow member.  .38-40 71/2 barrel, just my style.  Upon receipt it is a pretty gun for being nearly 100 years old with signs of aging but no signs of abuse.

However, the trigger pull was horrendous with stacking before it broke that made the gun very hard to shoot.  No problem, I can afford to have a smith take it in and do an action job . . .  so I search and find a fellow Frank Glenn out of Arizona and we discuss it by email.  He suggests I put a python spring in it and see how that does before anything else.  So I order a Python spring.

Install it and the trigger doesn't return properly, but it seems to work great otherwise.  Remove the spring, bend the lower leg downward to put pressure on the bar that returns the trigger (and acts as the hand spring) clean the varnish out of the action and reassemble.  I got the trigger out of  its connection with the hammer block initially, and had to figure out what was going on, but it only took a moment to get it all back in place. (Note, don't test the action after changing springs until the side plate is reattached.) 

I didn't smooth anything other than one side of the hand that was given a few strokes on a diamond hone, but the results are incredible.  Pops primers without any issue, but yet has no stacking, a nice clean breaking trigger and a light and smooth double action.  Timing is perfect on all 6 chambers. Colt knew how to make guns back then.  The New Service action is like nothing I have ever worked on before-1 spring does 4 separate jobs.

I really want to thank Frank Glenn for giving me advice instead of just taking my money.  He is a class act.

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

(Note, don't test the action after changing springs until the side plate is reattached.) 

Been there! :lol::lol:

J. Mark, thanks for the report.  I have a local fellow who is my FFL contact and he can do minor gunsmithing jobs.  But I don't have the name a major gunsmith.  I'll keep Frank Glenn in mind.

You didn't post any pictures of your New Service revolver.  We want to see pictures!  It's not real to us until you post pictures!  WE WANT PICTURES OF YOUR REVOLVER---NOW!!!  

Can I get an AMEN from the rest of the Saloon? ^_^

J. Mark, here's a S&W revolver I got from Papa Dave a few years ago.  See I can post pictures!

S&W 4th Model "Pocket Gun" in .32 S&W

dq82tZ.jpg

Dso8Ag.jpg

17 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

J. Mark, thanks for the report.  I have a local fellow who is my FFL contact and he can do minor gunsmithing jobs.  But I don't have the name a major gunsmith.  I'll keep Frank Glenn in mind.

You didn't post any pictures of your New Service revolver.  We want to see pictures!  It's not real to us until you post pictures!  WE WANT PICTURES OF YOUR REVOLVER---NOW!!!  

J. Mark, here's a S&W revolver I got from Papa Dave a few years ago.  See I can post pictures!

AMEN!

16 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

……………..………………………………………. ( someone had to ask …. ;))

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Oh, Good Grief, Alpo.  No.  I don't think I'll trade. 

But, Papa Dave told me my DA32 had been refinished.

Can you tell???

Yeah it looks better than it did right out of the factory. Beautiful. ;)

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Oh, Good Grief, Alpo.  No.  I don't think I'll trade. 

But, Papa Dave told me my DA32 had been refinished.

Can you tell???

There looks to be a little bit of "dishing" around the screw heads.  So it might be.  If Smith & Wesson did the work there should be a star stamped on the grip frame near the serial number. 

Anyway here is a New Service of mine, .45 Colt with factor ivories.  It's a huge gun. 

CIMG3164_zpszvmt3z6t.jpg

3 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

dq82tZ.jpg

Dso8Ag.jpg

AZmen!

9 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hQb56oHd637CGn4n6

Operating the gun with the sideplate off allows parts that are normally held in alignment to separate which requires some further disassembly to put back into position.

And a lot of scrambling around to find the parts. :)

On 1/16/2019 at 4:31 PM, Shotgun Clay said:

There looks to be a little bit of "dishing" around the screw heads.  So it might be.  If Smith & Wesson did the work there should be a star stamped on the grip frame near the serial number. 

Anyway here is a New Service of mine, .45 Colt with factor ivories.  It's a huge gun. 

CIMG3164_zpszvmt3z6t.jpg

Beautiful gun!  As massive as it is, imagine if it were the same size with a .40 caliber hole down the middle instead-Thank goodness they had not started putting the bull barrells and shrouds on these guns, you would need a stout gunbearer.

I'd happily recommend Frank Glenn as well; he rebuilt my tired, rattly old 70's vintage Gold Cup a few years back.  With some CCH magic by Turnbull restoration and mammoth ivory panels, this has become my official barbeque gun.

But don't let the looks confuse you: Frank built this gal to shoot...and she does!  

"Ad"

GC1.JPG

Archived