SASS Wire Forum

Butt forward gunfighter

Cimarron Jones

21 minutes ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

I'm thinking so too. I seem to recall that he carried his guns tucked through a sash. Still causes a great wonder. I'm wondering if he learned anything from his encounter with John Wesley Hardin and rolled his pistols upon the draw in similar fashion. Anyway I've had enough discussion it's time for me to go and set some targets up and practice...except not like this. I like holsters. A lot. 

There is considerable doubt as to whether Hickok and Harding ever met, much less Harding doing the Border Roll and getting the drop on JBH.

32 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

There is considerable doubt as to whether Hickok and Harding ever met, much less Harding doing the Border Roll and getting the drop on JBH.

If you've never seen it before...it's likely not something you would consider.

I think you will find JBH had his gun out for most of his shooting fights.  Don't think he did stand up Hollywood gun fights.  He could stand for incoming to get a good sight picture.

So if a competitor wants to harvest the style points for performing a twist draw on his butt-forward revolvers,  is there anything in the rules that would prevent him/her from returning those revolvers to the the holsters in the butt-to-the-rear position?  Seems to me it would be easier to just stuff the muzzles into the holsters and allow them to rest in the holsters with the grips pointing rearward after shooting rather than trying to reverse the cavalry twist maneuver.  There may be some risk of retention in doing so, depending on barrel length, etc., but I am not aware of any rule that requires a revolver to be reholstered with the butt in the same direction from which it was originally drawn.  What say you, PWB?

8 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

So if a competitor wants to harvest the style points for performing a twist draw on his butt-forward revolvers,  is there anything in the rules that would prevent him/her from returning those revolvers to the the holsters in the butt-to-the-rear position?  Seems to me it would be easier to just stuff the muzzles into the holsters and allow them to rest in the holsters with the grips pointing rearward after shooting rather than trying to reverse the cavalry twist maneuver.  There may be some risk of retention in doing so, depending on barrel length, etc., but I am not aware of any rule that requires a revolver to be reholstered with the butt in the same direction from which it was originally drawn.  What say you, PWB?

There is no rule prohibiting that...other than possibly, as you mention, the holster requirement:

- All handguns must be carried in a safe holster capable of retaining the firearm throughout a normal range of motion. 

SHB p.3

(which, BTW, also precludes carrying revolvers tucked into a belt or sash.)

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, Trailrider #896 said:

With a long-barreled gun, it is easier to draw from holsters worn high on the belt!

I fundamentally disagree.  I found that the lower I wear this pistol, Buntline.thumb.jpg.967539f2efd3fde560afb1d2334910f8.jpg

the easier it is to draw.  Wear it too high, and I can't lift my arm up enough to clear leather.

Oddly, when I got a holster for it, I got a cross draw, but I personally found it to be easier to wear it non cross draw.  The angle on the holster made it easier to pull strong side.

Why did I go away from crossdraw?   Well, to be honest, I was too fat at the time to reach around to grab the pistol.

I've lost some weight since then, but still find strong side to be easier.   I suppose twist draw could work okay.

14 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Returning them to holster like that is how I was taught originally when I started doing the butt forward. With my current holsters, I do it that way, but a slight twist of the wrist spins them back in properly. Not only does this probably aid in retention*, it looks really cool when it happens. Or at least I think it does.

*I say probably aids in retention, but I can't confirm. To date, I have only ever dropped one pistol, and it was in a butt forward configuration while running to the bathroom. The gun must have bounced a little too high and popped right out. I reported it as a SDQ, but the MD denied it since I was not on the stage, nor the match for that matter. Now I keep my hands on the guns while running just in case.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, John Henry Quick said:

Not to be annoying, but what exactly is the point of butt forward?  I know people think it looks cool, but both methods above look like they could not possibly save you time and for most of us would actually add time...?

I've used butt forward for my long-barreled revolvers over the last several years, and once the muscle memory was developed, I've found it to be faster and more comfortable.  Certainly is smoother and faster when pulling my 1860s.

The cool factor is just a bonus. . . :D

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

• 1 month later...

I carry my 7 1/2" Colt 45 butt forward on the left side. I am right handed. Draw and re-holster the pistol with the left hand, transfer it to the right hand for shooting, return to the left hand to re-holster. Safe and smooth.  May confuse a few observers until they realize it was not a cross-draw.  AND - I don't dance!   

1 minute ago, Harry II Late said:

I carry my 7 1/2" Colt 45 butt forward on the left side. I am right handed. Draw and re-holster the pistol with the left hand, transfer it to the right hand for shooting, return to the left hand to re-holster. Safe and smooth.  May confuse a few observers until they realize it was not a cross-draw.  AND - I don't dance!   

That’s not gunfighter though.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, Red Eye Jim said:

I'm not sure you would *WANT* to use a Calvary draw with a forward cant.  I think that would put your wrist at a really awkward position on the draw, unless you've got a really short barrel.

Calvary is a hill outside of Jerusalem.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:25 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Maybe use an original winchester 87' lever shotgun?

Nah, that Greener is sweet!!!!

Archived