SASS Wire Forum

Lemme Out!!

McCandless

13419273_1789163024628582_3538296681084105043_n.jpg.dc150a445157474340ddf09f17397ee1.jpg

She never liked me anyway, always telling me to turn onto a one-way street the wrong direction, make a U turn on a four lane highway,

or the worst just when I have to have a decision on which way to turn...... I get....RECAUCULATING, SIGNAL LOST.....GOOD GRIEF!!! 

My Garmen is old and it works well most of the time, however I make it do the “recalculating” routine too many times it gets even by randomly sending my on a wild goose chase. 

I have been doing something lately I haven’t done in a while. I go out on motorcycle rides to places I have never been and I do not use my navigation. I look at a map beforehand and go by memory. I have not gotten lost but have taken longer than I should have to get to places.

Technology is good but we mustn’t forget how to live without it.

I have "ON STAR" in my Chevy Silverado, asked for nearest TEXACO gas station in Wichita Falls TEXAS.....it told me to go South 6 miles and exit, go under bridge and it's on the Right.  I looked at a TEXAS ROADHOUSE BBQ restaurant....... Just sayin'

Big Jake 1001

I use Google Maps and find it very useful and accurate.   Sawmill Mary rides "shotgun" and uses some really stupid thing on her iPhone.  It's hardly better than a WAG.  She'll have it on and the stupid woman's voice will give turn by turn.  But we'll be above Des Moines,  Iowa on I35 heading to Minneapolis and every intersection the stupid woman's voice will say, "continue on I35 another 296 miles.",  then the next intersection...  TURN IT OFF! I THINK I CAN DRIVE THE NEXT 4 HOURS WITHOUT IT!

Sawmill Mary can't get information like how far to the next town. And it takes us on some real screwy, convoluted directions - often wrong.   I'll have to pull over and get out my Samsung android phone to get us back on track.  (She can't work my phone.)

We were riding with son Chris last Tuesday in his Toyota that has a navigation system built in.  I knew where we were going and we needed to go on another 5 miles.   But Sawmill Mary was backseat driving with her stupid phone with the dumb woman's voice and was convicted we had past our location.  We took the next exit and Chris poked in the address into the Toyota navigation.   It took us the "scenic route" and eventually came back out on the highway we were on going in the direction we were heading before. Then he overshot the right exit and had to turn around and go back. "You have arrived at your destination.".  Yeah,  10 minutes later than we would have.

Warden, her phone is probably set up for “the scenic route” it may also be set for taking back roads and / or steering clear of major highways. Also, it may be set to give you updates every so often.

She probably downloaded the app. If it’s Map Quest, tell her to dump it. Map Quest gets more people list in this area than any other.

I use Google Maps when I need navigation.

Google Maps on the desktop/laptop for pre-trip preview, including estimated distance, nearby restaurants and hotels. Up-to-date Rand-McNally large edition road atlas close at hand in the vehicle. No navigation systems wanted, needed, or allowed...and yes, I still use a flip phone, so no "apps" there either.

CS

On 4/28/2018 at 1:47 AM, Big Jake1001 said:

I have "ON STAR" in my Chevy Silverado, asked for nearest TEXACO gas station in Wichita Falls TEXAS.....it told me to go South 6 miles and exit, go under bridge and it's on the Right.  I looked at a TEXAS ROADHOUSE BBQ restaurant....... Just sayin'

Big Jake 1001

There used to be a Texaco station across the street. Now it's a Cain's Chicken.

The Texas Roadhouse is on the left btw.

Archived