SASS Wire Forum

Cylinder rusty

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

I have a Colt cylinder, which had the bluing removed.  Apparently, it was stored without being oiled and the chambers as well as the press fit bushing have rust spots.  It appears to be surface rust for the most part.  I have it soaking in CLP for the moment.  Any suggestions on how to remove the rust?

Thanks,

Tex

If it's just surface rust, Scotchbrite or bronze wool after the CLP soak should do the trick. And of course, oil it afterwards. For the chambers, try scrubbing with a bore brush and then patches. If that doesn't get it, wrap some bronze wool around the brush and try again.

I know people who soak old rusty tools in white vinegar to remove rust, but that will ruin any bluing (which is pretty much just fancy rust anyway) it comes in contact with.

What a great alias, Rusty Cylinder.

40 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

What a great alias, Rusty Cylinder.

In your case Rusty Old Cylinder....

Texas Lizard

But I think 'm in the same area...Of age....I tell kids 39...They seem to stop believing me....

Someone said very fine steel wool...I would start with even finer...Be slow...A little at a time....

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

A 50:50 mix of Acetone and ATF.  Shake well.

With that mix you're halfway to Ed's Red. Just need some mineral spirits and lanolin.

23 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

In your case Rusty Old Cylinder....

Texas Lizard

But I think 'm in the same area...Of age....I tell kids 39...They seem to stop believing me....

Someone said very fine steel wool...I would start with even finer...Be slow...A little at a time....

Change your alias to Buck Benny?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032289/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032289/mediaviewer/rm681909504

22 hours ago, John Boy said:

A 50:50 mix of Acetone and ATF.  Shake well.

With Acetone you have to use a covered metal container. If you want to use plastic try soaking in ATF and Kerosene, 50/50 for a few weeks. It will lift blueing, if left soaking for to long, which should not be a problem as you describe.

15 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

I saw an ad in a motorcycle mag recently for Metal Restore? which claimed to remove rust and not harm paint or finish underneath.

Charlie,

The product is called Metal Rescue.   I couldn't find any locally, but Ace had another, similar product called Evaporust.  I bought a half gallon and poured some into a container covering the cylinder completely.  I removed the cylinder after 3 hours and the rust was gone.  I have run a brush through the chambers a couple of times and carbon residue is still coming out.  There was no pitting, but there are some dark spots where the rust started eating into the  metal.  

Interestingly, the cylinder, which was in the white, is now a sort of French Grey.  As the cylinder will be blued, the color is not important.  Thanks to all for the help.

Tex

Archived