SASS Wire Forum

20 Mule Team

Subdeacon Joe

If you are a mule team and history fan, try reading "The Oregon Trail" by Rinker Buck.

https://www.npr.org/2015/06/28/418211092/2-brothers-and-a-team-of-mules-tackle-the-historic-oregon-trail

I knew nothing about mules or the Trail before I read this book, and after I felt as if I had been along for the ride.

Great writing, great characters, and it's all true.

LL

Decades ago, from the late 70s, Borax had a special limited premium of the famous 20 Mule Team painting on linen. Almost 3' by 2', its a large picture. But have it hanging in my den proudly. For a premium offer, it still had a high price, but cherish the depiction of the work that these teams encountered.  MT

Wonder if anyone else was lucky enough to get a copy also?

SDC17849.JPG.f2dd57a1735f6863a15f12f4b89336a1.JPG

20 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Terrific maneuver.

I had never before thought of the mechanics of making a sharp turn with a team like that.  I watched it and thought "AH!  That makes a lot of sense!"

MT-I have the same from about 35+yrs ago. Bough it when I first toured the mine.

Boron is not that far from my home, and have toured the mine and visitor center several times over the yrs.

Until you see the size of the 'train'. Only then does one appreciate the skills needed to handle/control it.

OLG

14 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

MT-I have the same from about 35+yrs ago. Bough it when I first toured the mine.

Boron is not that far from my home, and have toured the mine and visitor center several times over the yrs.

Until you see the size of the 'train'. Only then does one appreciate the skills needed to handle/control it.

OLG

I toured the mine in the early 60s with parents. Wonder how much it has changed. Still have the original wagons in front, along with the water wagon?  They are huge wagons. MT

Takes a master at handling the jerkline!  Got a Charlie Russell print on my wall showing a mule team with a wagon master cracking his whip over the head of the leaders. They are coming up from a river (The Missouri???) and the leaders are off the trail to the wagon's right.  When the rider cracks his whip, they will swing back to the left!  Rinker Buck's book is a real treat!

The coolest thing about the 20 Mule Team is that the driver on the wagon doesn't have any reigns. All the mules take their cues from the mule ahead or from one of the other muleskinners spaced out along the team.

Once a mule learns its place in the team it can remember what to do for years later.

Also if the team decided to run away there is nothing the wagon drivers could do except go along for the ride. Even fully loaded the mules could drag both wagons and the water tank with the brakes set for a long ways over flat terrain before they would tire out and stop of their own accord.

I learnt a lot of interesting trivia from some of the muleskinners at the festival. Wife and I happened to run into them at one of the local watering holes. They loved my wife's regalia and struck up a conversation with us.

Archived