SASS Wire Forum

Anyone have any experience with a "tactical pen"?

Alpo

Book I'm reading a girl stopped a rape with one. Through the rapist's temple.

This got me intrigued.

Best as I can tell, their purpose is to allow you to have a weapon where you are not supposed to have a weapon.

It seems you are to grasp it tightly in your hand, in an "icepick grip", put your thumb on the back of it (to prevent its sliding through your grip), and stab.

Cons: 

First, every one I've seen is five inches long. The palm of my hand is four. In my grasp I would have a whole ONE INCH available to stab with. What kind of damage will one inch of penetration do? Except piss him off?

Second, most have a tungsten carbide point on the back end. This is a glass breaker, for getting untrapped in the car. Wonderful idea (maybe), but that point prevents holding it with your thumb.

If they made one 7 or 8 inches long, with a flat back end that you could push against, it might be a fine doodad. 

But from what I can see, it's pretty useless.

So - does anyone have one, used one, played with one? Actual experience to say yea or nay to my opinion?

I'm willing to be convinced.

they are can be inexpensive and as yet are not banned by most travel. I got them for my kids as they are kind of cool. they are heavy and the ones I got are length of normal pen but a lot heavier as any of the small defense items short of firearms effectiveness may be just enough to get away but not necessarily true a pen scissors letter opener might work might not.  

They are awesome!

29 minutes ago, Alpo said:

First, every one I've seen is five inches long. The palm of my hand is four. In my grasp I would have a whole ONE INCH available to stab with. What kind of damage will one inch of penetration do? Except piss him off?

Alpo y'all are correct! A hand is 4 inches, my horse is 15 hands..do the math...just joshin' with ya.

the one i have used has the metal point beside the writing part that retracts giving the pointed part unobstructed use.  the point does get in the way of the writing part if the pen is angled with the point on the paper and not the ink.  no one notices it and it reminds me of the gadgets we used to get as policemen designed to be used on pressure points, i imagine it could be used as an icepick

Just how many books a year do you read?

;)

Some companies, like Cold Steel, make a small push knife, that can attach to a keychain.

I put that on a small pepper spray bottle and gave to my daughter when she started college.

The advantage of the push knife is it's really hard to take away from you. One can use it if held from behind, or you can just keep it in your fist and jab/cross until the attacker is no longer a threat. 

Regarding a pen, any relatively strong device can be used as a force mulitplier (metal pen, small flash light, short stick, etc). If there is a sharpened end, is it easy to get to and easy to stab into a moving target? This pen likely won't work well as a slashing tool. Depending on what you are stabbing, you may need to push the back of the pen with the heel of your palm, if an ice pick grip is not practical because of the length of the weapon. 

After doing martial arts since 1985, including kali stick and knife fighting, my opinion is that they are of limited use, but any weapon is better than no weapon. 

pushknife_pepperspray.jpg

A tactical pen is really just a kubaton in disguise properly used it’s a good tool for pain compliance situations. It can go where weapons aren’t allowed. A round sharp #2 pencil with proper training can be deadly but will pass TSA inspection every time especially if you carry a puzzle book to “use it with”

I had a “tactical pen” made by Benchmake or Kershaw. Can’t remember which. The TSA took it. Then I remembered these:

https://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Sharp-Drafting-Pencil-0.9-mm-Yellow-Body/pd/8460?gclid=Cj0KCQjw95vPBRDVARIsAKvPd3KSvGV77gKpDVZ1-1jQO3iv4ei3r5Is79X7RwIRFcbanTWynjuTWy8aAoFsEALw_wcB

Drafting pencils. I can drive one right into a 2x4 pull it out and do it again. I have carried them for years and they are a darn fine pencil too.

TSA never gives them a second look. Invest in one, you’ll see.

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Sixty dollars for a five-inch piece of three eighths stainless rod with a point on it?

Wow.

If it’s “Tactical” it demands big bucks. Like RV and boat parts. :lol:

I've seen the ones that are ceramic and used to break out car windows...... As far as personal defense I'm no "John Wick" - I personally carry lexan knuckles "brass is inferior when compared" and either the Beretta m9 in a shoulder harness or my glock 21 converted over to 10mm

The cheapest and most efficient way to end hostilities sometimes is a smile and an offer to but them a drink...:lol:

As a person that is pretty street savvy and has traveled all over the world and worked in some of the most high crime areas of the USA I have found that a  smile and a nod will get you out of most bad situations. In those situations where the smile and the nod will not work that nifty tactical pen will make for a good small pylon or marker for where at least one of your wounds are...also, pulling that pen out might be a  good idea depending upon the mood of your assailants. Making funny faces and gestures might help too. Humor is also a good self defense tool.

No, I am not a cop. No offense to cops, but I do not walk around with a police officer's mindset therefore I do not appear to be an officer of the law, which most dirtbags detect quite easily.

When I travel or am in an unfamiliar area I act / operate much in the way that some might call a "gray man". I blend yet I am on the defensive. I am nice to folks and talk to folks. I always make eye contact and banter with little kids and I acknowledge teenagers with a nod or a look but not one of judgment or challenge. I  treat people the way I like to be treated.

I don't carry "tacticool" crap because I do not want the staff at the ME's office snickering about where they found it on, or in, me when they wheeled me in. My weapons are not weapons to most folks. I carry a sensible knife, a small Swiss Army knife, a stiff pen / pencil, a  heavier than normal leather belt with a non-descript heavier buckle...oh, and a gun or 2 if I can.

I  also carry a small backpack with all kinds of inane doodads. 20' of paracord, lighter(s), charging cables - did you know an iPhone lightning cable is on hell of a wrist binding? I  keep some inane papers in a pencil pouch. Mulitple pens / pencils, odds and ends....odds and ends that look like nothing tactical but all have a use.

I have blathered on enough...besides, as bad a shape as I am in all this crap is probably worthless these days anyway. I should just carry 3 or 4 guns and be done with it...

Archived