SASS Wire Forum

Sent my Walker off to be Konverted

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Not too long ago, I mentioned how I had obtained an Uberti make Colt Walker for $1.01.   I sent if off yesterday to Kirst to be fitted with Konersion cylinder.   They tell me their turn around is about two weeks.

In that orignal thread, someone asked for pictures.  I promise that when the "konverted" gun returns to post an immage of it.

Before I go any further, let me say this, while I have occasional and for fun dabbled with black powder and some of the subs, I am likely to remain a primarily smokeless shooter.  Any smokeless rounds I run in this gun will remain normal loadings for .45 Colt.  I will not even consider "Ruger only" loads in this gun.  The best I might do is near max .45 loads, but even that is unlikely. 

However, when it comes to using black...

.45 Black Powder Magnum sure looks intriguing, but I don't know if I am that adventuorous.   However, I got to thinking that perhaps a load using the .454 Casul case, which would hold more powder than the .45 Colt, but not as much as the .45 BPM might be in interesting "middle ground" to explore.

Anyone ever try it?

The problem with using .454 Casull brass in a .45 LC is that the brass is much thicker, and designed to obturate (seal) the chamber at much higher pressures than .45 LC.  This can result in blow-by.  It also depends on how tightly the .45 LC chambers are held.  Your conversion cylinder may have tighter chambers than many original Colt's, but I would still stay away from .454 Casull brass.  Another thing is that the Walker still has a design that isn't as rugged as a solid-frame gun.  Using hot loads will probably loosen up the gun.

The other thing is, how are you going to keep your pants up when wearing that gun holstered? :P

No matter how big it is the Walker is still an open top design and is not a suitable platform to be hot rodding.  New Vaqueros will not handle "Ruger only" .45 loads so it is a good thing you are not considering those.  Rechambering the gun to .454 Casull is down right scary.  Does not matter what the present owner may do with the gun.  If in the future the gun is sold and some numb nuts figures out it has been rechambered for the .454 and fires a round the results won't be pleasant.  I doubt any actual gunsmith would rechamber a conversion cylinder for the .454.  If they did they could well spend their retirement years living in a cardboard box under a bridge.

.45 Black Powder Magnum uses the .460 S&W case, which is an elongated .454 Casul, which is an elongated .45 Colt.  Or so I understood.  Did not realize that the Casull had thicker brass.   In any event, IF, and that is a big if, I was gonna look into anything larger than a .45 Colt, it would strictly be using black powder, and not exceeding the 50 grains that Colt recommended not using more than with the originals.  (Even though they could hold 60 grains.)    The .45 BPM is supposed to be able to hold 60 grains of black powder, giving you the same "power" in a cartridge as the gun had in cap and ball form.  

I just figured that if you had the cylinder made capable of .45 BPM, it would obviously be capable of chambring the shorter Casull round.  

But, this is what I like about the Wire.   You can hear from people more knowlegable than yourself in these areas.

For info on the .45 BPM...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Black_Powder_Magnum

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The other thing is, how are you going to keep your pants up when wearing that gun holstered? :P

I am going to have to tighten my belt.   And maybe add suspenders.   The ultimate long turn goal is the Walker on my left hip with a Dragoon on y right.  

And while I'm at it, perhaps a Mare's Leg that is really chambered for .45-70.    I guess you'd have to start out with an 86, not a 92...

Chaos Jumbles shoot a Walker on one side and a Dragoon on the other.  A Uberti 1860 and a double barrel 10 ga make up his battery.  Never a question who's shooting when he turns them loose

Kirst used to only warranty his cylinders for BP.  I would double check before considering smokeless.

I own and hunt with a .460 S&W.  It has been pointed out that this revolver also shoots .45 Colt and .454 Casull.  While the .460 is actually pretty gentle in the big X-frame, the .454 (a much smaller case) can be brutal with heavier bullets.  For heavy bullets both cartridges are insignificantly different, other than felt recoil.  Both run at 65,000 psi, MAP.  The .45 Colt runs 14,000 psi, MAP.  

Draw your our own conclusions but I would not even consider putting a .454 case in a Colt.

Yes, it is the original c&B cylinder bored through, with .45 Colt chambers like the original.

The rear segment with the nipples was  removed except for the ratchet star, and the custom RM method gated conversion ring added.

Plus, of course this unusual ejector housing like in the original. You have to turn its tube - spring visible - to get into the ejection mode.

The barrel did not need to be lined.

The piece is heavy but fun to shoot.

To hit POA with the original front sight 170 grain bullets have to be loaded.

The pistol was proof tested with smokeless at the Vienna proof house after the Smith had completed the conversion Job. It passed the test.

Long Johns Wolf

Archived