SASS Wire Forum

Reloading on the road

South Pass Kid

Walked in the door after work today and there was my cowboy chronicle sitting on the table. First thing was an article about RVing and Cowboy Action Shooting, something we have been doing for years. Now there is a question I have for the full time RVers out there and thats how do you handle transporting your press and reloading on the road????? we are less then 10yrs from retirement and we plan to hit the road full time.

Thanks

SPK 

That's a darn good question this tender foot would like to know about. Less than 10 years to retirement. Not planning full time RV, but one never knows.

Capt George Baylor has put lots of pictures of his "towed garage and loading room" trailer in the past few years of Chronicles.  Really a very nice setup.  All in about a 25 foot dual axle car hauler trailer.

Maybe you can look through the on-line copies of last 5 years of Chronicles.  <_<

Good luck, GJ

22 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Capt George Baylor has put lots of pictures of his "towed garage and loading room" trailer in the past few years of Chronicles.  Really a very nice setup.  All in about a 25 foot dual axle car hauler trailer.

Maybe you can look through the on-line copies of last 5 years of Chronicles.  <_<

Good luck, GJ

I believe this is the one they have in the new Chronicle and its nice but not sure I want to pull around that big of a trailer, looking to see if anyone has any other ideas. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/629993/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-reloading-stand

Stores in a small area even with the press mounted on it. Much stronger than you would think.

With Inline Fabrication mount system you can interchange multiple presses, such as for your pistol caliber and your shotgun.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system

If you shoot at a lot of local clubs on your trip you most likely won't have a problem finding a shooter that will be more than happy to help you out. If you bring all of your reloading components I doubt you'd have any trouble finding more than a couple of shooters that'll help you out.

I have seen loading rooms set-up in "Toy-hauler " 5th. wheel trailers with two Dillon 1050s. on the bench with components stored in drawers in bench ...

They buy Shotshells so they don't need a press for that , they pre-load all their brass , then put the presses to work each time they have 1,000 empty cases in .44 and .38 spl.

Then they spend the Winter Months out of the snow shooting ....

Jabez Cowboy

35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I thought about buying one of these for a tight space in my home  before I put heat in my garage.

This  might be something to consider.

http://leeprecision.com/lee-reloading-stand.html

Those work well but they don't fold up and store away.

6 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Those work well but they don't fold up and store away.

Thanks Ace of Hearts. I wasn't sure about that.

I forgot that I also found that people use "Work-Mate" foldable work benches for portable reloading benches. This link may give some ideas for that: https://www.google.com/search?q=portable+reloading+bench+workmate&rlz=1CASMAI_enUS724US724&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIldG9g_7SAhUUzGMKHYA5ASAQ_AUICSgC&biw=1366&bih=630

The Lee turret press is a useful tool. When first married and lived in small apartment I mounted mine on a 2x6 and would c-clamp it to the coffee table to reload. It can be clamped almost anywhere.  Also I am still using the same one I bought almost 40 years ago.

My at home reload system is a Lee 4 hole turret mounted on a Black and Decker folding work bench like Pat Riot and Jimmy Reb mentioned. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work just fine for you.

I have had portable setups then got my toyhauler that I live out of and the shop is my reload area, I've thought about putting one of my 550s in my trailer that acts as the shop when not full of a ranger and smart car behind my Motorhome but I was always able to load enough before each trip.   My primary load is 38-40 I have makings for everything I load I might need a conversion kit or two but think I bought all the dies I need but I have plenty of factory ammo for the modern stuff I've got bp ammo for plainsman if I decide to play as a match plus enough 22 and 38 s&w for pocket pistol and derringer sidematches.  I need 30-30 ammo for rifle long range lever gun, I've got 38-55 for single shot bp, plus 38 & 45 ammo if needed I'm not into wbas anymore although I did pick up a model 12 last year at the eot swap meet.

Archived