SASS Wire Forum

Uberti High Wall Reviews

Sedalia Dave

No, but, I really love my .45 Colt Low Wall.  I'm looking for a .32-40 Highwall, Uberti makes their .32-40 in a Low Wall.

Dave, have the Uberti DST Deluxe 38-55.  Probably 2500 reloads down the bore,  Fit to finish - excellent.  Accuracy - Yes! Believe Pedersoli makes the barrels and they are match grade

Example, 2 years ago did a test shooting 50 reloads of 42gr KIK FFg with no patching or blow tubing.  Started at the 500m Rams and worked back to the Chickens @ 200m  ... minor vernier setting changes from my prior year settings.

Just today, I made up a reload to test over the chrono using Allient Power pro 300-MP = 1389fps.  It the 1st time this rifle ever had smokeless down the bore

Here's the wood on the stock

ButtstockFigure.jpg

I've got a Uberti 38-55.

Good fit-n-finish & shoots well -- better than me!

--Dawg

Won a couple of 100 and 200 yard shoots with mine, in .45-70

Nice accurate rifle.

I was able to blood it on a deer a few years ago.

I had two Uberti High Walls. One in 38-55 and one in 45-70. Both were beautiful guns, but I was never able to get the 38-55 to shoot well past 300 yds. The 45-70 did performed pretty well. I also had two Buffalo Classics in 38-55 and 45-70. They both did well on the range, but were ugly as a Mud Fence.  I've never seen a Pedretti Long Range rifle that would shoot worth a hoot and I even had one of the games Staples, a Pedersoli 74 Sharps in 45-70 that would not perform well for me. I was pleased however with one of their Rolling Blocks. None of them performed as well as my Browning BPCR 45-70, and it is not a good as my C-Sharps 40-65. Just my experience with some of the Long guns that I have had. Your result will, I'm sure, vary from mine. Many folks are very well pleased with them.

Snakebite

Hello Dave.  I've got three high walls: a Uberti and a Browning BPCR in 45-70 and a Pedersoli in 38-55.  I've read that Pedersoli uses high wall actions made by Uberti, but uses their own barrels and does their own finish work including heat treating.  Of course I do not know for sure about the finishing/heat treating, but having been through both the Uberti and the Pedersoli branded actions, I do believe they are made by the same manufacturer. 

Both the Uberti and the Pedersoli are nice guns.  My Uberti has the double set triggers, which requires the front trigger be "set" to fire at all.  No problem for target shooting, but not my first choice for hunting.  The Pedersoli has a single set trigger which allows function both "set" and "unset".  The fit and finish and wood quality (figure) of my Pedersoli is much better than the Uberti but I could not say that as a general rule having only one Uberti to compare to one Pedersoli.  One thing I do not like about either Uberti or Pedersoli is that the hammer is lowered to half cock when the action is closed.  Means that it is going to take some extra time to cock the hammer for each shot.  The Brownings and some of the Winchesters leave the hammer at full cock.  I believe Blue Bonnet shoots an original Winchester 1885 38-55 that works like that.

In 38-55 the Uberti has a 1-18 twist while the Pedersoli has a 1-12 twist.  For what we do with lighter (shorter) bullets at moderate Cody Dixon ranges, either is just fine.  However, if you ever wanted to use your 38-55 at longer ranges against heavy targets you might wish to use heaver (longer) bullets and the faster twist would likely be better.

My Pedersoli has a .379" bore and the long chamber.  The chamber is sized nicely for use with .381" bullets loaded in Starline brass.  So there was no need to work on the chamber of the Pedersoli as we had to do on your H&R.  I would imagine a Uberti 38-55 also has an appropriately matched barrel and chamber, but I do not know for sure.  By the way, my Pedersoli shoots very, very well accuracy wise.

I really do not think you would go wrong with either brand of high wall in 38-55.  However, I purchased my high wall 38-55 about 6 weeks ago and my choice was the Pedersoli.  I believe I would make the same decision if I had it to do over again (ever though I think I could have almost purchased two Ubertis for the price of the single Pedersoli).

But, in my opinion, if you want the "ultimate" high wall and it does not have to be a 38-55, then go for a Browning BPCR in 45-70 or 40-65.But then, that is just me - to each his own.

I plan on shooting my Pedersoli high wall 38-55 at our Cody Dixon match on the 25th.  You are welcome to give it a try then if you wish.  Last month I had the hammer spring too light and the many failures to fire drove me nuts.  I think I've got that fixed!!  We will see!!!

TR

I'm enjoying my Uberti 38-55. I've only had it a couple if months, but every time  I've shot it (furthest so far out to 200 yds) it's been extreamly accurate.  I'll be shooting it further next month.  I shoot a 260grn .380 bullet. Starline long brass.

as important as the rifle are your sights.  Don't scrimp.  The MVA and Kelley are tops (in my opinion!) I went with the Kelley, just because it looks so darn good!  I also got the Kelley globe front sight with level.  

I shoot a Unique load at 1250 FPS. Works for me! I'll report back after the match at Trailhead next week, shoot out to 500 meters there.  

I shoot a 260grn .380 bullet. Starline long brass.

Hoss, a 260gr bullet will give you troubles at 500m, especially if there is any wind - holding a group on the plates.  My 38-55 bullets for silhouettes to 500m are: Ideal 37584, 310gr and the Ideal 375166, 320gr that Accurate Molds has a clone of it

375084-37584_156g-176g-197g-218g-238g-25

37584. This is a popular series of bullets for both short and long range. The shape of point is standard. They seat all right in the regular tools.

375165_250g.gif

375166 This is the factory .38-330 grooved bullet. It is used with a shell full of powder for target work.

I'm not casting, so have to buy.  I've heard the 300+ are better for the longer distances. I haven't been able to find any yet.  Been keeping my eye open! 

I have an "Uberti" highwall in .40-65 that gets used for all serious longrange shooting ....

I use bullets weighing between 370 - 425 grains , they shoot flat, hit hard all the way out to and beyond 1,300 yards ...

The .40-65 is a far better longrange cartridge than the .38-55 ...  The .38-55 is a fun low recoil cartridge that really best serves at 400 yards or less...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived