SASS Wire Forum

Metallurgy question

A friend purchased an ingot at a flea market, thinking it was lead. He gave it to me for bullet casting. However it is not lead. It is 12 inches long and is divided into 3 parts. 1 part is 2x as long as the other 2. It bears the letters BHC. the 2 smaller sections each have a 3 on them. The local scrap yard doesn't know and they did not have a "gun" to test it, the nearest gun is in downtown St. Louis. Anybody have any ideas?

What's your reason for thinking it is not lead?

Does it seem soft?

What color is it when scratched?

If it seems light, it may be zinc or aluminum.

Test with a magnet to see if it's ferrous

edit:

Maybe it's silver? :-) Then, lucky you.

Take it to a (real) jeweler and ask him (if he has the simple equipment) to perform a streak test for silver.

Briefly, the test piece is dragged hard, across a hard black stone, then the resulting streak mark is flooded with a specific acid. The resulting reaction indicates or contraindicates the presence of the metal being tested tor. This process is often used to provide a quick and dirty test for various grades of gold and for silver.

that volume of lead should weight about 19 lbs, silver about 16 lbs, aluminum about 4.5 lbs.

if I did the math right and if they are pure. your block is about twice as heavy as aluminum, iron 8.8, Maybe nickle, or steel?

if the block is a mix of elements, it can be almost anything.

Just guessing really.

Just a possibility.

Since the ingot is marked "BHC"

http://www.barkenshardchrome.com/index.html

Bhc Industries Inc Bhc Industries Inc B H C Industries Inc

239 East Greenleaf Boulevard
Compton, CA 90220
Phone: (310) 632-6807
Web: Bhcindustries.com

Categorized under Chromium Plating of Metals or Formed Products.

You might give them a call.

LL

Just a possibility.

239 East Greenleaf BoulevardCompton, CA 90220Phone: (310) 632-6807 Web: Bhcindustries.com

LL

This, I believe, sounds very plausible. When large machinery bearing surfaces wear out, they are very often metal-sprayed or plated, then machined back down to specification, rather than replacing a shaft, or cylinder, barrel, etc. Compton and that area of LA still has, or used to have, industrial operations that support heavy and light industrial, automotive and other industries. Your ingot may also be a sacrificial anode, however I believe that to be less likely, because the metals typically used for cathodic protection would, I think, be lighter in weight than what you have. Also, I suggest that, as a precautionary measure, you not handle the ingot too much with your bare hands until you identify it and rule out any toxic possibilities.

It is an interesting little mystery.

Just a possibility.

239 East Greenleaf Boulevard

Compton, CA 90220

Phone: (310) 632-6807

Web: Bhcindustries.com

LL

Called that number and spoke to a very nice lady who informed me that the person that might know won't bw back tomorrow. She did say that it sounds like something they might have cast. I will keep you informed.

Out of curiosity I found a metal weight calculator on line.

I entered the dimensions of 12" x 2.875" x 1.375"

I selected every metal on the list and none matches the weight of your brick so it must be an alloy of some type.

https://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/Weight-Calculator

Some examples using your dimensions in Pounds:

Steel 13.3

Aluminum 4.8

Nickel 15.2

Zinc 12.2

Cast Iron 12.2

Titanium 7.7

Gold 33.17

This was about the best calculator I could find. I thought it was interesting that Zinc and Cast Iron were almost identical. I only list one decimal place here.

It'll be interesting to find out what it is.

Babbitt?

This is the material that used to be applied to bearing journals (especially in engines) many years ago before technology went to inserted bearings. I have a set or tools that my Grandfather used to use to dress the babbit after is was melted and cast to the journals. I remember my first car (a 50 Chevy) had cast main and rod bearings.

I selected every metal on the list and none matches the weight of your brick so it must be an alloy of some type.

Steel 13.3

Aluminum 4.8

Nickel 15.2

Zinc 12.2

Cast Iron 12.2

Titanium 7.7

Gold 33.17

This was about the best calculator I could find. I thought it was interesting that Zinc and Cast Iron were almost identical. I only list one decimal place here.

Steel 13.3

Aluminum 4.8

Nickel 15.2

Zinc 12.2

Cast Iron 12.2

Titanium 7.7

Gold 33.17

Iron and zinc are very close in the periodic table, they should be close.

One decimal place makes more sense than anything else, the measurements are 12" x 2.875" x 1.375" which is not more than one decimal place.

Iron and zinc are very close in the periodic table, they should be close.

One decimal place makes more sense than anything else, the measurements are 12" x 2.875" x 1.375" which is not more than one decimal place.

Yes, I know. I should have been more clear. I meant the decimal places on the website when they show the weights.

Well it is going to have to wait until I can get to a scrap yard that has the equipment to test the ingot. I called the gentleman at BHC. He advised that his company did not cast the ingot in question, but his vote was babbitt. The problem with determining by weight is that the measurements are estimates because the ingot is not square or uniform in shape. It's a mystery until I can find a tester.

I did a search regarding the use of Babbitt for bullets. It appears that it does have it's uses for making bullets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+babbitt+be+used+for+bullets&rlz=1CASMAI_enUS724US724&oq=can+babbitt+be+us&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57.6232j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The second link down has some interesting information regarding Babbitt. When I clicked the Castboolits link there was some discussion on pure Babbitt bullets.

Archived