SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 question

J. Frank Norfleet

Being new to Marlins I have a question for you Marlin shooters. I think for every caliber of 1894 there is a shorter version of that round available; e.g. for 357 Mag there is 38 special; for 45 Colt - 45 Schofield (or 45 Cowboy); 44 Mag - 44 Special; 41 Mag - 41 special; 32 Mag - 32 S&W Long and etc. Is there any advantage in shooting a shorter case over the longer? Especially after you have Widderized your rifle does the case length really matter?

Edited by J. Frank Norfleet

NO :D

The only advantage to going shorter is if that's what you use for your pistols and you just want to load one one case size, one bullet size for everything. This way if you load Schofields for you pistol, you can load Schofields for your rifle too, etc.

J.Frank,

in reference to your last question, case length does not matter. BUT, OAL of your ammo does matter because your initial timing is critical when loading shorter ammo.

Hope this helps.

..........Widder

Overall length affects how it feeds. One can play around with different cast bullets. There is an article by Glen Fryxell that discusses the Model 94. My experience with the 357 and an old H&G 158 gr. cast bullet will not feed in 357 while it feeds very well in 38 sp. Where as a more modern 158 gr. feeds. I can look up the bullet mold numbers if you want.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin1894.htm

Yes, the short C45S case has the same case volume as the 45ACP and that's significantly less than the 45 Colt. The smaller volume burns light loads of smokeless powder more efficiently. Also, the smaller volume case holds plenty of black powder to produce smoke and power without fillers.

But the lever stroke is the same regardless.

I have a Marlin 1894c that won't hold 10 357 Magnum rounds but will hold 10 38 Special. So the shorter case is a necessity.

Yes, the short C45S case has the same case volume as the 45ACP and that's significantly less than the 45 Colt. The smaller volume burns light loads of smokeless powder more efficiently. Also, the smaller volume case holds plenty of black powder to produce smoke and power without fillers.

But the lever stroke is the same regardless.

I have a Marlin 1894c that won't hold 10 357 Magnum rounds but will hold 10 38 Special. So the shorter case is a necessity.

This, unless your rifle is modified and short stroked to handle the .45 CS. When you do that to a Marlin, you MUST shoot the shorter bullet unless you change the carrier back to the original profile.

The main advantage is the more efficient burn in a case size designed for smokeless powder.

BTW - I have seen folks shoot .44 Russian in a 44-40 with the modified carrier.

CR

This, unless your rifle is modified and short stroked to handle the .45 CS. When you do that to a Marlin, you MUST shoot the shorter bullet unless you change the carrier back to the original profile.

The main advantage is the more efficient burn in a case size designed for smokeless powder.

BTW - I have seen folks shoot .44 Russian in a 44-40 with the modified carrier.

CR

.44 Russian in a 44-40 or 44 special? Seems like the case and rim would be too small for a 44-40.

The Marlin 1894 does not have to be short stroked in order to handle the C45S cartridge, nor does a separate carrier need to be utilized.

The 'impossible' function of the Widdermajik (not Widdermatic) allows the rifle to function with the C45S, 45 Schofield and the .45 Colt cartridge lengths interchangeably.

p.s. - I have been told by a couple gunsmiths and numerous Marlin owners that the function of the WIddermajik is suppose to be impossible..... until those same folks actually operate one.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

Widder, I sure wish Marlin would hire you to straighten out their 1894 production problems.

Remington contacted me about my 1894 work but so far, the communications have been limited.

One of their employees have one of my Widdermatics, which I modified on a new 1894 in .38/.357.

When I returned that rifle back to their employee (fully modified), I documented 9 QA issues in that rifle.

They are aware of this rifle and of those QA issues I found.

As for any other communications, they have indicated a desire to talk with me again.

This contact was initiated by Remington, not me.

I did express my willingness to help them, basically with problems they seem to have with feeding and timing issues.

Quite frankly, I doubt anything will become of it.

..........Widder

Just the saving of powder :-)