SASS Wire Forum

Who Got You Started?

Bronc

R J Law and The Lady introduced my family. Their youngest daughter and mine were best friends and they would stop by after matches to pick her up. Their cowboy clothes enthralled my 10 year old son, Dirt Bag Devon. My wife and I took him up to the next match. R J put pistols in my wife's hands and it was all over. Batwing Betty loved the sound of the lead hitting the steel. All three of us were hooked.

My wife inherited some farm land from her folks and rented it out to a high school friend. We went to visit one weekend to work on landlord/rentor details. He said, "instead of going to church with the ladies, lets go out to the farm and shoot my .45's. So "Farmer Phil" put the hook in my mouth. When I got home I searched the web for a SASS club nearby. Illowa Regulators were closer, but the Shady Creek Shootist were shooting the next Sunday. I called the club president, "Dapper Dan", to find out location. He said to bring $10 for the shooting fee and he would set me up with guns, leather, and ammo. He was a posse leader so he had me follow "Toby Tuesday" around and push the cart. THAT set the hook.

Chancy

For those of you that shoot/have shot in the southwest for quite some time, you may have competed in the annual Yuma Territorial Prison Breakout. In 2004, a founding member of the Yuma CAS club was unfortunately killed, along with his best friend, in the hills north of Phoenix, by a crazy young man who snuck into their camp to steal their belongings. The two people killed were KC & Gimpy. KC, aka, Omer Casey, was Squeaky's uncle. When we attended Omer's funeral, we saw many people dressed in 1890's cowboy clothes?? At the memorial, Omer's gun cart & firearms were on the altar with the preacher. That's the day we found out about SASS! In Jan, 2005, we bought our 1st Rugers from Early Times in Yuma, followed by a set of 3 screw Blackhawks from him in Feb. We jumped in with both feet and in 2006 Squeaky won 5th place, Lady's Modern at the Yuma Breakout, dedicated to her Uncle "KC". We've never looked back since then but WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER Uncle Omer Casey, a true cowboy shooter, and BTW, one helluva 1911 gunsmith, nationally renowned in his day. (And one damn good custom farmer!!)

DC & Squeaky Hare

Edited by Don Coyote, SASS #63736

I blame Hogleg Smith, followed closely by Cherokee Charlie and Robin T. Banks.

I picked up Hogleg Smith's card at a gun show, because I had just moved to the area and you never know when you'll need a gun smith. At that same show, I picked up a used Ruger Super Blackhawk. I wanted a side arm in the same caliber as my "brush gun". The property I was hunting at the time was mainly swamp, so I needed something short range without a scope. The revolver needed a new cylinder base pin spring. As he was fixing it he asked me if I had ever been to a Cowboy match. Just so happened that there was one the next weekend, four miles from my house.

Some of the first two characters I met at the match were Cherokee Charlie and Robin T. Banks. They made me feel right at home and got me right in the middle of the action. I went out and bought a double barrel and another Super Blackhawk. I then bought .44 special dies and started loading .44 special. The month after the wife, Bea Itchin' started shooting. Haven't looked back.

• Like 1

July of 1999. I was on vacation with my family, and stopped in Custom Cowboy Leather in Cheyenne, WY and decided to order a double holester rig when I was approached by another customer. He said I couldn't help overhearing and asked if I was from Michigan?Are you a cowboy shooter? I replied that I wanted to start (been reading about it) I needed a holester set up. He invited me to shoot with him, his wife and others at Williams Gun Sight near Flint, Michigan, as he was match director. Dakota Doc and Cactus Kay got me started. Wonderful people, I am forever indebted. Went to the first Wolverine Rangers Range War the Michigan state shoot, in September, met the "Judge" and joined SASS.

Edited by Three Deuces McKee

I didn't have anyone get me started, just seen some videos and thought it would be fun so I started. I will say that Captain Bill Burt has been a big part of keeping me looking forward to every month. Gives great instruction and makes the match fun, very happy I got started in the sport.

I didn't have anyone get me started, just seen some videos and thought it would be fun so I started. I will say that Captain Bill Burt has been a big part of keeping me looking forward to every month. Gives great instruction and makes the match fun, very happy I got started in the sport.

Thanks Jack! We're glad you joined Doc's!!

• Like 1

Exactly one year ago today friend and I decided to go shoot. Missouri Southern Rangers Marshfield Missouri on a Wednesday. I've been shooting my entire life but cowboy action shooting has become my new addiction. Never have I met a better group of people. All willing to help in any way encouragement / techniques / firearms. Then i discovered two more ranges close by now I shoot every weekend

I read about CAS in some publication or another 'bout 20 years ago, asked around and found a match, and went and watched and asked a bunch of questions. I already had some suitable shotguns, and a pair of 4 5/8" .45 Blackhawks, one blue and one stainless. I went to one of the local toy stores and bought a 24" stainless Rossi '92 .45 Colt, and attended the next match with the new '92, the Blackhawks, and a 12g Rossi Overland hammer coach gun. :)

Edited by J Bar Binks, #47015

I had first shot single actions (Virginia Dragoon and Ruger Blackhawk) and a Marlin 1894 back in the late 1970's. Got a bit sidetracked by life and my ex getting them guns.

In 2005 I saw a copy of Shoot in a used book store and thought that looks like fun, so I did some reading on line and figured I had better git while the gittin was good. I had shot BPCR before so I figured the only thing to shoot was Holy Black from the get go. Found some guns here on the Wire and some duds from Wild West Mercantile. I looked through the Chronicle and found out about the closest club being the Tonto Rim Marauders so I headed their way.

I showed up to my first match, and only put one round over the berm. :o I did hit the mountain though And got the name Coconino Cannon.

I got lots of help from Silverado Cid and Rye Creek Roberts and plenty of other good pards along the way.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Badlands Bob of Bismarck, ND got me fired up about it.

We were both on National Guard state shooting teams and shot against each other a lot of times.

He also sold me my 1st main match rifle too.

He said you can have it for $175 for SASS-use and you have to either sell it of give it to another SASS shooter or sell it back to him.

He got me into the most fun shooting I've ever had.

I've competed seriously in IHMSA, bowling pins, trap, NRA silhouette and High Power and both military pistol, and rifle.

SASS BEATS ALL OF THAT!!

Merry Christmas,

Mustang Gregg

Edited by Mustang Gregg

In my normal introduction of myself to my Basic Blueprints students at Robins AFB I mentioned that one of things I like doing away from work was target shooting and reloading bullets. One student Shorty Butte started talking to me about Cowboy Action shooting during one of our breaks. He talked me into coming to a match in June of 2012 and I liked what I saw and helped picked up brass that month. Decided to come back in July and I decided it was definitely something I wanted to do. Joined up that August and have even tried a few more clubs now in the state of Georgia. My twin brother works in Nevada and he said he knew someone in our sport named Shooting Bull and I have contacted him now and want to go to Las Vegas soon and have more fun!!! Has anyone else said "Addicting"?

Edited by Marshal Ruger