SASS Wire Forum

The Free State of Jones

Saw this thread (http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=251420), figured this would be of general interest.

The forthcoming Matthew McConaughey drama “Free State of Jones” lays claim to being the first Hollywood film in decades to depict Reconstruction, the still controversial post-Civil War period that attempted to rebuild the South along racially egalitarian lines.

But the movie, written and directed by Gary Ross, might also lay claim to a more unusual title: the first Hollywood drama to come with footnotes.

The film recounts the true story of Newton Knight (Mr. McConaughey), a Confederate deserter who led a ragtag dissident army from the swamps of Jones County, Miss., and continued to fight for the rights of African-Americans after the Civil War ended.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/16/movies/free-state-of-jones-a-film-with-footnotes.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

More hair shirt, self hate, revisionism, would be my first thought.

The Civil War had so many diverse groups fighting for many different reasons.

The movie seems to add another twist to an amazing and terrible part of our history.

When I get back from EOT, I'll go see it.

See, I am superior to all of you folks in the racial department. My Great Great Great Grandfather freed his slaves before the civil war so there is nothing on my conscious.

I guess your kin folks were doing purdy goot being hows y'all was in the 4% of whites that owned slaves. I guess us poor white trash have the jump on even your forefathers.

Yup. He even bought his own "Company" of cavalry. Company G, 15th Missouri. Furnished the uniforms and horses.

Yup. He even bought his own "Company" of cavalry. Company G, 15th Missouri. Furnished the uniforms and horses.

That's pretty cool. Do you have any memorabilia from that? Where'd you get the history? Passed down in the family or are you lucky enough to have it in a book?

Just being nosey, but it's neat family history. Pictures? That would be exceptionally cool to have.

Angus

See, I am superior to all of you folks in the racial department. My Great Great Grandfather freed his slaves before the civil war so there is nothing on my conscious.

I don't think you're quite off the hook yet, Massa Noz! You wuz 'sociated to slave owners and are, therefore, damned to an eternity of penance.

A routine regimen of self-flagellation and appropriate donations of cash to the right reverend might buy you absolution, 'specially the cash donations, I dunno."

:-)

:-)

That's pretty cool. Do you have any memorabilia from that? Where'd you get the history? Passed down in the family or are you lucky enough to have it in a book?

Just being nosey, but it's neat family history. Pictures? That would be exceptionally cool to have.

Angus

Local military historys. No memorabilia of him. However I do have a copy of the pay book that belonged to his 1st Lt who happens to be my Great Great Grandfather. He was listed as a forager which my grandfather explained to me was a chicken thief.

I always thought a dinner at their house would be interesting in that the Capt's Company G, 15th Missouri, Union, was the son in law's unit while the Capt's Father in law was in the infantry in the Second Arkansas, Confederate. Could make for a lively discussion.

My ancestors came here in the 19th century from what is currently Poland. Some of my ancestors were likely slaves. We had nothing to do with y'all.

Fillmore

Several major event or crusades occurred during the years following the civil war. Have you been watching the show the American west on amc on Saturday nights? Jesse james was supposedly fighting against the north when he set out robbing the railroads. This was to hit the north in the pocket books then you had the railroad owner or boss of the Union Pacific railroad billing the government twice the cost of building the railroad which when it came public knowledge created the first recession in us history to get out of it grant ordered Custer into he black ills to see if there was enough gold to stabilize the economy. So the railroad building of post civil war was supposed to offer everyone a fresh start after the war. But in turn created new problems.

Sounds to me like a bit of revisionist history.

Sounds to me like a bit of revisionist history.

More hair shirt, self hate, revisionism, would be my first thought.

You know the victors write history so I guess the liberals have won.

Guess y'all need to read this -

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/history/true-story-free-state-jones-180958111/

I guess your kin folks were doing purdy goot being hows y'all was in the 4% of whites that owned slaves. I guess us poor white trash have the jump on even your forefathers.

From the article -

In October 1862, after the Confederate defeat at Corinth, Knight and many other Piney Woods men deserted from the Seventh Battalion of Mississippi Infantry. It wasn’t just the starvation rations, arrogant harebrained leadership and appalling carnage. They were disgusted and angry about the recently passed “Twenty Negro Law,” which exempted one white male for every 20 slaves owned on a plantation, from serving in the Confederate Army. Jasper Collins echoed many non-slaveholders across the South when he said, “This law...makes it a rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight.”

Rich Northerners could also be exempt from military service (Union Army) by paying someone to enlist in their place. I have read it usually cost $ 200.00 which back then would be a tidy sum of money.

Hey, my family has been getting skewed in history since My way great grandpappy Moses Fletcher got off the Mayflower, deserted the colony and shacked up with a Wampanoag woman and was listed as dead the first winter by the Plymouth colony. (He weren't the only one). Bradford wrote the history.

Its just a movie...

See, I am superior to all of you folks in the racial department. My Great Great Great Grandfather freed his slaves before the civil war so there is nothing on my conscious.

You're not superior to me, my grandparents came to the USA from Italy in 1901, waaaaay after the Civil War!! My family had nothing to do with it! :P

Several major event or crusades occurred during the years following the civil war. Have you been watching the show the American west on amc on Saturday nights? Jesse james was supposedly fighting against the north when he set out robbing the railroads. This was to hit the north in the pocket books then you had the railroad owner or boss of the Union Pacific railroad billing the government twice the cost of building the railroad which when it came public knowledge created the first recession in us history to get out of it grant ordered Custer into he black ills to see if there was enough gold to stabilize the economy. So the railroad building of post civil war was supposed to offer everyone a fresh start after the war. But in turn created new problems.

Also who has seen "The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford"? Supposed to be pretty historically accurate (if that's possible coming from Hollyweird). That guy (James) was one creepy S.O.B. Sorry didn't intend to hijack.

For those of you who worry that there's not enough feces to paint the whole barn, I recommend Grey's book on Copperhead shenanigans https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Civil-War-Story-Copperheads/dp/067037025

Bushwhackers, https://www.amazon.com/Bushwhackers-Civil-North-Carolina-Mountains/dp/0895870878/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466449484&sr=1-1&keywords=bushwackers, is another interesting read and provides some history behind the book and movie Cold Mountain.

Archived