SASS Wire Forum

ot:NIKON camera question film digital lenses?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Are there digital cameras that can use those nice onetime expensive 35mm lenses?

Some little pocket digital cameras are very good but I keep moving my old camera bag

and wondering if some or all of those lenses could be getting used.

I have Nikon and Nikon compatible aftermarket lenses.

Should I just put em out for spring garage sales?

Use em for paperweights?

Best

CR

ps-I am most interested in Nikon but if other mfgs have this ability I might be interested in details.

Im looking to make better use of money already spent, not really spend much more.......

Digital SLR cameras can use interchangeable lenses, but I don't know if they work with lenses from 35mm film cameras. What kind of mount do your lenses have? F mount?

Some SLR lenses made by Canon are able to be used on modern cameras however you may lose some features. You'll just have to try and see what happens.

Howdy,

I don't know about F mount.....I have had several Nikons bought in the 80s or 90s

and all seemed to interchange lenses just fine.

NOT professional level but I took a number of great pix back then.

Im not even sure if I could get 35 mm film developed any more.

Best

CR

Howdy,

Are there digital cameras that can use those nice onetime expensive 35mm lenses?

Some little pocket digital cameras are very good but I keep moving my old camera bag

Use em for paperweights?

Best

CR

ps-I am most interested in Nikon but if other mfgs have this ability I might be interested in details.

Im looking to make better use of money already spent, not really spend much more.......

Older Nikkor lenses will mount on Nikon digital bodies. Of course you'll have to manually focus them. Some Nikon digital bodies (mostly the pro ones) will also index with Nikkor AI lenses.

If you have good lenses, you may be able to sell them, or hold on to them and get back in the hobby. More photographers are taking the leap from digital back to film. Even though it's more costly it's coming back into style. The colors, the "dreamy look", the flexibility, are unmatched by digital. Film will always look classic.

For me the advantage of digital is that I can just "shoot away", at CAS matches I can take hundreds of pix to of pards I haven't met before, and lots of pix of shooting and stages... But for nature photography and Black and White images, where I can take my time and compose the shot, film is better. Chrome is unequalled.

I don't know about F mount.....I have had several Nikons bought in the 80s or 90s

and all seemed to interchange lenses just fine.

NOT professional level but I took a number of great pix back then.

Im not even sure if I could get 35 mm film developed any more.

If you can figure out what kind of mounting your lenses use (maybe by looking up the model of the camera you used them on) you can search online for digital SLR cameras that use that mount. This page might help you get started:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Some of the big drug stores around here still have photo labs. I think many Walmarts do too. They use Fuji Film chemistry, which is okay but I find the colors aren't as warm as the old Kodak processing.

The older 35mm film lenses from Nikon will fit Nikon digital cameras. Fit is the operative word. I have used some of my old Nikor lenses on my D5100 body.

The results are somewhat frustrating:

1) none of your auto focus will work (obvious)

2) The aperture readings will not show up in your camera's viewfinder. No easy way to know what f-stop you have.

3) because F-stop is electronic in the new bodies and lenses, when you stop the lens down manually, your viewfinder goes dark(er) because there is no mechanical linkage to stop it down for the photo.

4) none of your TTL flash metering is going to work.

Bottom line, you have a lens that can fit and can work but you may be better off doing what I do and sell the old lens and buy new ones. I got more for my old lenses on Ebay than I thought I would. Unfortunately, several thousand dollars of lenses brought several hundred dollars in today's market but was better than using them for target practice.

Some of the new lenses are truly spectacular. Don't overlook Tameron (the 11-20mm lens is stunning) and Sigma (150-600mm is quite good) as well as the 70-300mm f5.6 Nikor lens (again stunning). The Nikor 18-140mm lens is very good too.

GS

Yes you can still get film developed.

https://thedarkroom.com/?gclid=CK7-6LCRr8sCFQcKaQodGH0IhA

Back when I was into photography the digital craze had just started. Had a HUGE selection of Nikon film lenses which fit the new digital bodies. As guitar_slinger rightly pointed out, "fit" is the operative word. Auto focus didn't work at all and even manually focusing I never got the sharpness from a film lens on a digital body that I got with film on film or digital on digital.

Can't speak for Nikon, but the old Canon FD lenses require an adaptor mount to fit on the newer cameras. I bought one because I have some pretty good FD lenses. They will only operate at max aperture, or at least I haven't been able to figure out how to stop the aperture down for greater focal depth. Also, I lost the center split ring focus, which is a very handy feature when focusing. I did buy some film for my old AE-1, but haven't shot the entire roll yet.

I reckon I'm spoiled to the instant feedback you have with digital.

On a side note, I recently purchased a Nikon P-610 that so far seems to do a very good job. It actually has a real viewfinder, which I love. Another good feature is the flip out viewfinder rotates. So when I'm photographing something straight up, like the moon, I don't have to squat or lay down under the camera like I have to do with my Canon. The P-610 zooms all the way out to 60X, but one drawback is it sucks at macro. Either that or I'm not smart enough to do macro with it. But anyway, it will do at least 90% of anything a good DSLR will do, without having to carry a boatload of extra lenses around in your bag, which tend to become heavy after a mile or two.

Yes you can still get film developed.

https://thedarkroom.com/?gclid=CK7-6LCRr8sCFQcKaQodGH0IhA

Just about everything but Kodachrome. It was a really big deal when the last processing lab announced that it was running out of the last Kodachrome chemicals on the planet.

Last year our local WalMart would develop 35mm film and give you back pictures and/or a cd with picts digitally on it. Havn't checked recently.

Yes Ron, your Ai/Ais Nikon lenses will work on digital nikon cameras but not all models. For instance, the D50/D90 won't meter with the AI type manual focus lenses so you have to manually set the shutter/aperture. The D700, D800, D7100/7200 work in aperture priority and manual and will meter through the lens. Here's a link to a Ken Rockwell page on what works with what;

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

By the way, if you'r just going to "toss" them, let me know what direction and I'll catch. I have quite a collection of film cameras I still use!! (yes, film is far from dead)

Howdy,

Use em for paperweights?

Best

CR

If all else fails and you decide to sell, check out this bunch: https://www.keh.com. Then be sure you are sittin' down when the tell ya what you stuff isn't worth anymore. Been there, got the "T" shirt, and shed the tears.

Archived