SASS Wire Forum

December 7, 1941

McCandless

The sacrifices of The Greatest Generation leave me humbled and speechless. Thank you Dad (8th AF), and Uncle Larry (Artillery), and all the young men who went off into the uncertainty of war.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/pearl-harbor-bombed

http://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/world-war-ii-history/videos/japanese-diplomats-arrive-in-us

At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States irrevocably into World War II.

With diplomatic negotiations with Japan breaking down, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his advisers knew that an imminent Japanese attack was probable, but nothing had been done to increase security at the important naval base at Pearl Harbor. It was Sunday morning, and many military personnel had been given passes to attend religious services off base. At 7:02 a.m., two radar operators spotted large groups of aircraft in flight toward the island from the north, but, with a flight of B-17s expected from the United States at the time, they were told to sound no alarm. Thus, the Japanese air assault came as a devastating surprise to the naval base.

Much of the Pacific fleet was rendered useless: Five of eight battleships, three destroyers, and seven other ships were sunk or severely damaged, and more than 200 aircraft were destroyed. A total of 2,400 Americans were killed and 1,200 were wounded, many while valiantly attempting to repulse the attack. Japan’s losses were some 30 planes, five midget submarines, and fewer than 100 men. Fortunately for the United States, all three Pacific fleet carriers were out at sea on training maneuvers. These giant aircraft carriers would have their revenge against Japan six months later at the Battle of Midway, reversing the tide against the previously invincible Japanese navy in a spectacular victory.

The day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, President Roosevelt appeared before a joint session of Congress and declared, “Yesterday, December 7, 1941–a date which will live in infamy–the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.”

After a brief and forceful speech, he asked Congress to approve a resolution recognizing the state of war between the United States and Japan. The Senate voted for war against Japan by 82 to 0, and the House of Representatives approved the resolution by a vote of 388 to 1. The sole dissenter was Representative Jeannette Rankin of Montana, a devout pacifist who had also cast a dissenting vote against the U.S. entrance into World War I. Three days later, Germany and Italy declared war against the United States, and the U.S. government responded in kind.

The American contribution to the successful Allied war effort spanned four long years and cost more than 400,000 American lives.

Dec. 7, 1941 came and went with us not knowing about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. We had an old radio but no electricity so no news. The first I knew about the attack was at school on Dec. 8. When I got home from school I told my mother about the Japanese attack and she would not believe me. The more that I insisted that it was true, the more she tried to get me to not be "making up stories like that". She finally threatened we with a belt if I didn't stop lying. Later that evening my Dad came home from work with the news, Mom then believed it.

Blackfoot

Whenever someone has asked me who my hero is or who do I look up to I always say,

That 19 year old kid who had never been furhter than 20 miles from home, had seen but never ridden on a train let alone a plane. But he stepped up and stood in the belly of a B17 knwoing there was a 25% loss rate, he jumped into the water when the ramp dropped, he moved forward in a tank that was completely inferiour to the enemy's, he grabbed a rifle and said here I am, he stood on the deck trying to keep the ship safe in any way. That's who is my hero is. We are all honored by them, or anyone who has stood in harms way.

Ike

Whenever someone has asked me who my hero is or who do I look up to I always say,

That 19 year old kid who had never been furhter than 20 miles from home, had seen but never ridden on a train let alone a plane. But he stepped up and stood in the belly of a B17 knwoing there was a 25% loss rate, he jumped into the water when the ramp dropped, he moved forward in a tank that was completely inferiour to the enemy's, he grabbed a rifle and said here I am, he stood on the deck trying to keep the ship safe in any way. That's who is my hero is. We are all honored by them, or anyone who has stood in harms way.

Ike

+1 Well said... A true hero!

Sadly, a lesson we seem to never learn - denial of what we actually see and know.

Top folks knew they were very close to war (Secretary of whatever then) - "We don't want to panic the military and the people"

They saw the planes coming on radar - Officer on duty, "They must be ours"

They destroyed a submarine at the entrance - "Just an isolate incident"

They were warned about possible destruction of planes - "Let's line them up close together so they are easier to guard."

I know we cannot always know, but self defense experts now say to "trust your gun or your fear" If it feels funny, but you don't know why, listen to the warning. You will not know the logic until later, so trust the fear.

At the beep, do you say, "What was that noise?!!" Or do you react as you had planned?

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

My Dad was in the Army Air Corps and I had five other uncles who were in the Army in WW2; all came home from the war alive!

We have several WW 2 Veterans who live in the Retirement Community I live in now in Florida. Three are B-17 Crew Members, and two are P-51 Pilots. Youngest is 91 and the oldest is 96! All in good health; three of them still play Golf! I am in constant awe in their presence.

Cheers,,Hoss

A belated thanks to my dad, Thomas Roehrich, who served in the U.S. Army Air Corps in the Pacific, his brother Bill, who was lost at Okinawa, his brother Fred, who was on the beach-head at Normandy on D-Day, and to each and every one of the Greatest Generation who stood up and were counted in the rescue of the free world!!! :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

its interesting , ive heard more and seen more concerning it today than i have in years starting first thing this morning and running straight thru the day , funny , there were years when i heard next to nothing ,

ive always made it a point to remember as well ,

Remembering my Dad who served in Germany & France in the Army Air Corps. My Uncle Harold, and my Uncle Raymond (whom I never knew) who did not make it home from WWII. thanks to yall and all vets who picked up a gun and did what had to be done.

I was looking at my Dads enlistment papers, the period of enlistment was stated as "DOW" which I found meant "duration of war"

Archived