SASS Wire Forum

Savage Navy Revolver

Subdeacon Joe

Seen plenty of photos of these revolvers over the years but never knew how they worked.

Thanks. Cool gun. Nice grouping.

I still oike the bobbed hammer DA Adams from England. I think that if I had lived during the CW and/or Old West, the Adams would have been my preferred sidearm.

Thanks for posting this, it was nicely done.

The revolver groups low and left, just like a Ruger Vaquero! A gun ahead of its time.

Would love to see Uberti or Pietta come out with an affordable repro!

How many thousands of dollars would you consider "affordable"? Tooling up for that one would entail considerable costs, and I wonder how many they could actually sell.

I'll tell you something about the Savage Navy. First, a "standard" Pattern 1863 holster is way too small! I know, because I have seen and measured the documented holster owned by Lt. Fred Beecher during the CW. Unfortunately, his nephews sold the gun right after WWII, and couldn't remember what kind it was. But you could drop a '51 Colt's Navy or M1860 Army in that holster and have room to spare for a deringer! In addition, a Savage Navy acquired by the owner just to go with the holster (without any intention of passing that gun off as Beecher's!) fits exactly! Unfortunately, the replacement Savage isn't in the best condition, and the owner was reluctant to shoot it. Certainly an interesting gun...a "one-and-a-half cocker??? ;) )

Even with a little gas leakage around the barrel/cylinder junction, and with the longer chambers than, say a '51 Colt's Navy, I wonder what the MV would have been. Frankly, I think it would have made a good repeating rifle, as a stock would have made it a bit easier to handle. One thing that got me interested in guns in general was the intricacies of some of the CW arms, even if they weren't the commercial successes of Colt's, S&W and Remington. Sometimes the times dictate the market.

This Savage pistol posting made me check my Colt books.

Sam Colt's first guns were Patterson models where the trigger drops from the frame when the hammer is cocked. His second group of guns include ring cocked rifle and shotguns that wprked just like this Savage. He made these guns in the late 1830s.

Kind of cool having the offset hammer so you can look down the sights....definitely a different look compared to other cap and ball guns I've seen.

Kajun

Archived