SASS Wire Forum

$20 is the end of the world?

Santa Fe River Stan,36999L

My .02 worth. Yes, $20.00 is not much, BUT that $20.00 is PER MEMBER. For a single member, that's not much, but for a family, the number is the multiplier of that $20.00. With no early warning of the fee increase, decreases the amount of time of arranging the funds to cover the increase. Having to come up with an extra $40.00+ at the drop of a hat, with no warning, can be very hard. Add in the fact that the front office APPEARS to have their information wrong, where folks are paying the increase NOW and NOT Nov., is another problem. Sending out a rundown covering to reason for the price increase AFTER folks are paying the increase is a kin to to closing the barn door after the horses have bolted.

A knock on effect of the affiliation fee to the clubs will be a possible increase in monthly fees to shoot. All these increases, agian with no notice, will have a detriment. Some folks will be looking at a large out lay of funds for a HOBBY.

Will Limey and myself pay the increase?? As of right now, YES, but...

The optimist and the pessimist

The difference is droll

The optimist sees the doughnut

The pessimist sees the hole.

If I remember right, when I joined SASS in '95, the dues were $35 per year. SASS doesn't increase the dues every year. I only remember one increase, from $35 to $45 a while ago.

It's misleading to use the 44% figure since the increase could be construed to be a multi year affect.

Since '95 the yearly increase has averaged $1.50 per year. But they didn't increase by that amount, they do it in steps. Just imagine how much money you've saved by them waiting until now to increase the fee rather than doing it each year!

Putting the $20 per year in perspective, it doesn't seem like a hill worth dying on.

Hell, I just filled up my truck with gas at $2.10 per gallon, 20 gallons worth. A couple of years ago, gas was $1.50 per gallon higher. I saved more on that fill up alone than the dues increase!

$20.00 isn't the end of the world. Lets put this excessively high dues increase in general terms. If a pound of gunpowder costs $30.00, with a 44% increase, it now costs $53.20, you earn $40,000 per year, your president decides he wants to increase you income tax by 44%, now your income is $22.600.00. Finally, you are paying $3.00 per gallon for gasoline, with a 44% increase. you now are paying $4.32 per gallon. Many SASS shooters are retired, and on a fixed income, and they cannot afford to shoot a state match, because it IS expensive to shoot one, with travel, entrance fees, etc. now you are going to increase membership fees by 44%? This increase is excessive...........period. And yes the camels back is sagging.......

My humble suggestion, if money is tight, is to skip or drastically reduce the State and above shoots, the out of state annuals, your annual if need be. The price to go to one Big Shoot could practically finance the entire year of monthlies.,, OR buy you a new gun.instead.. :D

When you boil it down, as far as shooting,,, your monthly shoots gives you practically the same as the Big shoots. 4 stages/day for big shoot, 5-6 stages/day for monthly,, both offer,,,,10-10-4,,,,,,,,Nevada from the left,,,, Nevada from the right.... a stand and deliver,,,,2-1-2,,,,,3-1-1,,,, .. In fact, the monthly probably offers more, such as a popper, a flier, a Texas Star,,, Who ever you posse with is who you basically socialize with for that match... ya get the idea. Finally, if a monthly is rained out or bad weather hits,,,, you stay home, where as at a Big Match that you have already financially invested into a long time ago,,, you get the experience. Everybody already knows this, I am for sure.

Happy camping.

I'm with Stan on this. If only $20.00 made the difference between shooting or staying at home I would be in the wrong sport. But for me, it's not only my dues, but my son and now my wife as well. I could simply skip one post match lunch with a bunch of great folks that I've gotten to know through SASS and recoup the extra dues amount but then I'd miss out on the main reason this sport is so great....the people!

Right now gas is bumping $2.00 per gallon. If your SUV has a 20 gallon tank that's $40.00. The price will go up to over $3.00 again in a few months. At $3.00 lper gallon that fill up is $60.00. Take the $20.00 you are saving on every tank right now and use it to pay the dues increase. When the price of gas does go back up, and it will, does that mean people will stop shooting because the can't afford the extra $20.00? The only argument I have read that makes sense is the family expense of paying for multiple family members all at once. The SASS front office has read those comments, agreed with that argument and has changed the rates for family members. In this day and age any indiividual that argues he/she is $20.00 away from destitution can't afford SASS (or any other hobby). That argument just doesn't hold water.

Blastmaster,

Three go every year.

125 miles away

Entry fee $380.

Motel $300-350.

Gas $40-50 minimum

Food for three not included with match minimum $100.

Ammo components ?$120+? 600 rounds and 6 boxes 12 gauge for match plus ??rounds for warm/side match.

Vendors?

Pleasant

Blastmaster,

Three go every year.

125 miles away

Entry fee $380.

Motel $300-350.

Gas $40-50 minimum

Food for three not included with match minimum $100.

Ammo components ?$120+? 600 rounds and 6 boxes 12 gauge for match plus ??rounds for warm/side match.

Vendors?

Pleasant

Thank you!!

Stan,

Well said, my friend.

I have followed these threads regarding the increases in dues and have refrained comment, until now.

What does .5 cents more and day on top of the .13 cents a day, totaling .18 cents a day for one year mean ?

Let it be $ 65.70 a year to be a registered member of an organization that provides cohesion, if nothing more !

This organization, The Single Action Shooting Society, of which I am a member along with my family, has my full support.

My friends and fellow members including local clubs, wherever they may be, also have my full support.

I am humbled by the hardships a few might endure and they are now in my prayers.

I am proud to be a member of SASS.

I hold my friendships in very high regard. Without this society, some of my best friends and me may never have crossed paths.

I look forward to the future, the friends I'll spend time with, the friends I hope to gain, the competition, the laughter, even the grumbling,

the good times and the train wrecks, and the success of SASS.

Furthermore, I wish to express my thanks to all those who work to make this organization a true American pastime for the future.

Now let's get it on. Long live SASS and the people that make this society true.

Respectfully

RB

p.s- The penny counters can spend my dues and fees as they deem fit.

When you find a sport you love you will find the $$ somewhere, somehow.

I work 12 hours a day 6 days a week (Saturdays are shooting days except the 4th Sunday, Delta is the best stage writer)

Winter Range cost me about $3,000, I'm planning on $2,000 to go to the East Coast Championships

add in 4-5 state shoots, a regional, and at least 6-8 annuals

God I love this sport!!

Scratch

While at this point in my life,$20 per year is not a big deal, I can relate to those who feel this pinch.

Imagine if you can, being a freshman in high school, starting at a new school, having the school bus pull up in front of your tent, where you live with mom, dad, older twin brothers. In Montana, from July 1 until mid-November. Imagine your toilet is a horizontal log in the trees, you bathe in the Bitterroot River, and haul your drinking water in 30 gallon barrel from the neighbors stock faucet. Now imagine it's 1976.

I bring this up only to show that I can empathize with those who may be facing financial hardship. Not everyone has realized the blessings many of us have.

For myself, I will not judge anyone that says $20 is a hardship. Been there, done that.

$20 increase per year for something I believe in, love being a part of, and respect for what it offers us? I'll happily pay it. It is money well spent.

$20 increase in something I disagree with or loath but am still forced to pay it ( HOA dues, taxes, govt fees...)? That, I will fight or at least whine about.

Expenses for everything we do in life are all increasing. If expenses for SASS increase a little, I choose to see that as a positive thing for which I'm paying. SASS and CAS are worth it.

Apoligize for highjacking your post....I did it before I saw yours, but I'm seeing more positive posts about the raise in dues and more support for than against.

KK

Right now gas is bumping $2.00 per gallon. If your SUV has a 20 gallon tank that's $40.00. The price will go up to over $3.00 again in a few months. At $3.00 lper gallon that fill up is $60.00. Take the $20.00 you are saving on every tank right now and use it to pay the dues increase. When the price of gas does go back up, and it will, does that mean people will stop shooting because the can't afford the extra $20.00? The only argument I have read that makes sense is the family expense of paying for multiple family members all at once. The SASS front office has read those comments, agreed with that argument and has changed the rates for family members. In this day and age any indiividual that argues he/she is $20.00 away from destitution can't afford SASS (or any other hobby). That argument just doesn't hold water.

Well said!!!!

Nawlins

Archived