SASS Wire Forum

Which JB Weld?

Contemplating cutting a double. Watched the videos on YouTube. See it mentioned all the time in threads here on the Wire. From those of you with experience, which of the JB Weld products works best(and why) for filling/strengthening the barrel gap? The original Cold Weld Two Part Epoxy? JB KwikWeld fast setting epoxy? One of the Epoxy Putty Sticks(SteelStik or AutoWeld)? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Cold Weld Two Part Epoxy. A couple of caveats. Number one and most important, the area you wish it stick to must be ABSOLUTELY clean (true for ALL). Number two, it will take overnight to fully cure. Third, for your application, use more than "just enough." Fill the gap between the barrels with a really good glob, cover the area with masking tape, hang the barrels muzzle down overnight. Lightly sand the next day.

Don't worry about the crown of the barrels, you just cut em, there is no finish there anyway!!

It is also very important to go back and de-Burr the muzzel end where you cut it. Truing it up with a nice sharp bastard file will leave burrs on the off side of each barrel.

Overnight Epoxy adhesives forma stronger bond than the Quickies. Also much more durable.

Coffinmaker

Scuff inside of gap with 120 sandpaper clean with acetone (fingernail polish remover will work) i would mask off and cut out just the gap with an exacto knife and fill with the original. then cover that with another layrer of tape.

Titus, I lost the original "plug" out of my Baikal. I soaked the hole with laquer thinner and then stuffed it full with the Original JB Weld. I have about 3 years on it and it's still tight.

I used JB steel stick putty, worked well for me. Like others have stated, clean steel well before application, let set up overnight!

Howdy,

I just bought a bottle of nail polish remover at wmart for 99 cents.

100 acetone.

That will clean it right up.

Best

CR

I went to Nu Goo from Lawson Products. Works like JB but is rated to 500F. Just did a block repair on my sons bike.

Titus,

I don't know about THE BEST of the JB Weld products but of those I have used, they sure are good stuff.

But this advice I can give from personal experience........... DON'T use Gorilla Glue or Elmers..... ;)

You'd be better served with a good piece of bubble gum thats 'cured' overnight..... :D

..........Widder

Titus,

I don't know about THE BEST of the JB Weld products but of those I have used, they sure are good stuff.

But this advice I can give from personal experience........... DON'T use Gorilla Glue or Elmers..... ;)

You'd be better served with a good piece of bubble gum thats 'cured' overnight..... :D

..........Widder

I was thinkin' more the bailin' wahr and duck tape route. :P

Again, thanks to all for your input.

I have filled in a couple of shotguns with low temperature solder. Just clean up as described above, put a little steel wool down between the barrels and rib to catch the solder, and fill up the hole. Draw file and you are finished.

Lucky

Mrs. Lose manages a large avocado and citrus ranch and about two years ago the housing for a transmission cracked on a very old front end loader. They called the guy that usually welds stuff for them and he said that he didn't want to do the job. Well she asked me and I suggested JB Weld with the strong suggestion that the pieces had to be spotlessly cleaned before they used the JB Weld. It's been over two years now and the tractor is still running strong. I'm thinking JB Weld will hold up just fine for our game.

Archived