SASS Wire Forum

Need load data for .38 using 700X for a 105-125 gr. bullet.

PM Sent. I've loaded probably 5k, shot about 2k at my favorite load. Chrono'd at about 550fps out of a 5 1/2 inch Ruger NV.

Hi Skor 700X has the same comparable burn rate of Red Dot & TiteWad ... look up the loading data for these 2 other powders!

I use a medium CAS load to get better metering with the 700x. kR

I get the feeling that Deuce is trying to avoid a bunch of testing and hoping to find a proven load from a reliable pard without having to spend a couple of days at the range ;) I like 700X because it's readily available and not expensive. I use it in .45 Colt and Schofield. Scored 2 -8# jugs for about a C note each.

CR

I get the feeling that Deuce is trying to avoid a bunch of testing and hoping to find a proven load from a reliable pard without having to spend a couple of days at the range ;) I like 700X because it's readily available and not expensive. I use it in .45 Colt and Schofield. Scored 2 -8# jugs for about a C note each.

CR

That's why I said medium CAS load, if he checks the load book for cowboy action loads he will find it. It meters well and is the load my wife uses, with a good crimp it also is relatively clean burning. kR

I've got solid chronographed cowboy load/data on 700X for 38spl and 12 GA.

Give me a shout.

Regards,

Ringer

fast enuff, your inbox is full...

... avoid a bunch of testing and hoping to find a proven load from a reliable pard without having to spend a couple of days at the range

Rick - that's the best over exaggeration I've ever heard!

Cowboy shooters should buy a copy of Propellent Profiles that has every powder on the market except Alliant 300-MP. They will find tested loading data from recognized authors that are not in the manufacturer tables and they would have their answers before bed time. If Deuce bumped the bullet weight up to 148gr - there is a 38 Spl recipe for Hi-Skor 700 that is 755 fps with a pressure of 10,200! Can't get much lower than that - if that is the objective ;)

These things always stray so far off topic...

3 Point Oh is a software and video production company in Greenville, SC. Although several of us around here have never experienced any problems with 3pointoh, it might not be for everybody, but I definitely wouldn't settle for anything less. Other online sites say 4pointoh, a similar company out of Maine, comes better recommended and may be a safer alternative.

http://www.3pointoh.com

http://www.4pointoh.com

Cowboy shooters should buy a copy of Propellent Profiles that has every powder on the market except Alliant 300-MP. They will find tested loading data from recognized authors that are not in the manufacturer tables and they would have their answers before bed time. If Deuce bumped the bullet weight up to 148gr - there is a 38 Spl recipe for Hi-Skor 700 that is 755 fps with a pressure of 10,200! Can't get much lower than that - if that is the objective ;)

OK - a couple of hours with several loads a few 10ths different and a chrony & notebook. Still, if one can save duplicating efforts exerted by trusted others ....

I get the feeling that Deuce is trying to avoid a bunch of testing and hoping to find a proven load from a reliable pard without having to spend a couple of days at the range

You're probably right.

......have their answers before bed time.

Sounds like the same argument. <_<

I've loaded probably 5k, shot about 2k at my favorite load. Chrono'd at about 550fps out of a 5 1/2 inch Ruger NV.

Ripsaw, what weight bullet are you using that is 550 fps over the chronograph?

Reason for asking, does it meet the power factor of 60 or better because a 105gr bullet doesn't meet the minimum standard?

The minimum standard for center-fire ammunition used in all smokeless categories in all SASS matches State, Regional, National, International, and World Championship Competitions is not less than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps

I'm using a 125g RNFP. Power factor is 550 x 125/1000=69. Right?

Actually my ES was 552-585, and my average was closer to 570. I used 550 for the bottom end of the range to be sure I met the PF.

Ringer is your load info for 105 grn bullet or close to it? Can u pm your data. I use 700x for light shotgun loads currently but we are running out of American Select for the rifle & may have to switch to 700x soon.

OLG, define cold? How much would you have to bump it up for colder weather?

Thx. Roper

Ringer is your load info for 105 grn bullet or close to it? Can u pm your data. I use 700x for light shotgun loads currently but we are running out of American Select for the rifle & may have to switch to 700x soon.

OLG, define cold? How much would you have to bump it up for colder weather?

Thx. Roper

PM was sent

I don't know what a load going 500 to 600 fps does when it's cold. (i though i used low recoil loads at 700-750FPS ?) But i do know what a load going 750FPS does when its cold. I put them in the freezer for awhile. I shot them when they litteraly had frost on them. They slowed down by 70-100FPS and noise was reduced. They still sounded, felt good and where consistant. especially for that cold! If your doing a micro drop at 550fps I'm guessing they will stink when frozen:)

regards,

Ringer

Good point on the cold weather effects on 700x. During load development I loaded a bunch with a tenth of a grain more and that bumps the fps to 600+. I'll shoot either load at a match, it doesn't make any difference at my skill level. The 550fps load always knocks down the knockdowns and plates.

I'll have to chrono both loads once the weather gets colder. I'm brand new to CAS, so haven't shot in cold weather yet. Of course, "real cold" here in Virginia is just "a might bit cool" in other areas of the country. :)

Archived