SASS Wire Forum

Did you know they don't sell pork broth?

Alpo

I was in Publix, yesterday, and the "recipe of the week" smelled so good I took a sample (usually I ignore it).

http://www.publix.com/recipes-planning/aprons-simple-meals/french-onion-steaks-with-chocolate-covered-berry-shakes

And it tasted good. But notice, 2nd ingredient. 1 1/2 pounds of "grilling steaks" - ribeye, NY Strip, like that. Wow. I haven't had a steak like that in several years. Beef costs too much to eat.

So I started wondering if this recipe would work with pork. Then I see to make the sauce requires beef-broth. Beef broth with pork might no go good. Wonder if they sell pork broth.

Nope. Got beef. Got chicken. Got vegetable. No pig.

Had never thought of it before, because I'd never looked for it before. But - huh! No canned pig juice.

Wonder if they sell pork broth.

Nope. Got beef. Got chicken. Got vegetable. No pig.

Had never thought of it before, because I'd never looked for it before. But - huh! No canned pig juice.

I noticed that. If I need broth for a pork dish I normally use chicken broth.

You think there might be a market for bacon broth?

I noticed that. If I need broth for a pork dish I normally use chicken broth.

You think there might be a market for bacon broth?

I keep a couple of ice cube tray full of frozen bacon grease. I use it on salad and in soups and stews and mix it with chicken broth when I need pork broth.

Tip courtesy of Delmonico on another CAS site.

Mom, being a farmer's daughter and taught never to let anything go to waste, would

keep a lard can with pork and bacon fryings in it. She used that for frying just about

everything. No wonder I am so skinny. :lol:

I can meat. Cow, chicken, deer and pig. Put the raw meat in the jar, leave it in the pressure canner for the correct time, at the correct pressure (it varies according to size of container and altitude), and when you are done you have meat floating in broth. This is cow - notice the lovely beef broth. smiliebiggrin_zps5266d70c.gif

100_0527.jpg

So, i have pig broth. I was just kinda amazed that they don't sell it.

I think chunks of pork fat floating in pork broth should be served three times a day at Guantanamo!

Akmed might go on a hunger strike.

Wolfgang Puck uses beef stock in one of his boneless pork chop recipes.

I have substituted vegetable stock with good results.

Archived