SASS Wire Forum

Can cats taste "sweet"?

Alpo

Bound to be a vet out here that knows.

Explaining the intricacies of how my mind works. Y'all may need a drink or twa.

I will see something, that makes me think of something else, which in turn makes me think of a totally different other thing.

So I'm reading this comic, where a cat has been given a magic collar, by a fairy, and the collar allows the cat to shape-shift. It is the first anniversary of the comic, so the characters had a birthday party for the cat. In the artist's commentary, he said that it should be a treat for her, as cats can't taste "sweet", and she's in her human form (or at least, her cat-girl form), so her tongue CAN taste sweet, and she's having chocolate for the first time.

This got me to wondering of cats are not supposed to eat chocolate, like dogs are not supposed to. Found a site that said that yes, chocolate is toxic to cats, but not to worry because cats would normally spit it out.

This lead me to believe that the artist was right - that cats can't taste "sweet".

Then I remembered reading of people poisoning ferral cats (or their neighbor's cat, for that matter) with antifreeze. Just leave some out, and the cat would drink it, because it was sweet, and it being extremely poisonous to everything, it kills the cat.

But if cats can't taste "sweet", then why would the antifreeze's being sweet induce them to drink it?

And no. I am not planning on poisoning the neighborhood cats. I just want to know these things.

I guess it depends on how you prepare them. I prefer mine with teriyaki sauce.

:D :D :D :D :D

Don't know about their being able to taste sweet, but one of our cats loves spicy foods. One we had actually ate lettuce after licking off the salad dressing. That one also loved pickles, but would not eat roasted turkey or chicken or wet cat food.

:D :D :D :D :D

Grind them, roll into meat balls, bake and serve with the aforementioned teriyaki sauce and rice. Yum Yum

I was watching a show about cats a month or so ago on one of the Discovery Channel-type channels. They stated flatly that cats could not taste sweet.

Laz

One must remember that to get to the sweetness, you have to remove the fur coat.

I was watching a show about cats a month or so ago on one of the Discovery Channel-type channels. They stated flatly that cats could not taste sweet.

Laz

One would hope, with the way cats lick themselves, that they couldn't taste anything..

I was takin' a nap one day when my stoopid cat decided to take his own nap, and flopped down on my face.

Half a tube o' Crest later, I can assure you, that critter don' taste sweet at ALL! :blink:

Archived