SASS Wire Forum

Kirkpatrick longhunter 09 rig?

I've got o4s and love them!!! shuda spent the extra for them years b4 I did!!!

I'm trying to sell a set of '04s, made for blackhawks 7 1/2'', belt is 42' to ctr. hole. Listed in classified section and on CAS City. Asking $300 shipped. Excellent condition in Chestnut color, with .45 slide

For custom work and talking directly to the maker, it's hard to go wrong with: http://jm-leather.com/

Johnny has a bit of lead time because his work is that good, but well worth the wait in my opinion. ;)

Hastings Leather made me a set.

If I decide to go commercial, it will be the Kirkpatrick '09 for my SAAs. For the Cap guns I would likely choose the Mernickles Slim Jim ER4 as they look like they could make plenty of smoke on their own!! (Hoping they would make them for cap and ball pistols?) You would be hard pressed to go wrong with any of our several top-makers out there and I doubt that the top tier of shooters are up there because of a brand name.

Thanks. My primary interest in the LH 09 is that it the holsters are positioned away from the body. My Rig now is nice but the holsters sit too close to the body and it is difficult to get a good grip on the pistols. I will be using a strong side holster and a cross draw. Can anyone speak to how far the holsters are positioned from the body?

Hoss,

It is an excellent choice.

One of many rigs I have or have had.

bb

Thanks. My primary interest in the LH 09 is that it the holsters are positioned away from the body. My Rig now is nice but the holsters sit too close to the body and it is difficult to get a good grip on the pistols. I will be using a strong side holster and a cross draw. Can anyone speak to how far the holsters are positioned from the body?

There is a thin piece of metal in between the layers of leather. You can adjust the amount they sit away from your body by bending them to your liking. They sit out pretty far, you can really get a good grip on your pistols.

Hey back @ ya. I have been using the LH 09 which replaced the LH 04. More fwd cant. But I have seen some of Persimmon Dan's work and he can really get those holsters out away from the area in question. How do you like No Cal.? My daughter lived there for a few years when she was married to a Coastie at Humbolt Bay. Best of luck to ya! If you but the LH rig you wont be disappointed. C-U, C.W. :)

There are several methods to maintain the leathers rigidity and these can be often used in combinations to achieve almost any amount of inflexibility. Any one of several metals have been used, but I think rawhide or hot water soaks would be most traditional and kydex the most modern method. I might be wrong but I thought Kirkpatrick was using kydex in its construction now??? The last pair I built used light weight stainless which I liked, rigid enough to easily hold their shape in the belt fold but flexible enough allow some strong arm reshaping by hand. Built alas, I cut them to short above the throat to get the amount of drop I like, the '09 looks "juuust right"! If I am correct about Kirkpatrick using kydex, Im not sure if one can heat and bend it after it is already installed into the leather???

Your mission will not be complete until you report back to those of us who are still waiting to pull that trigger. OH, and pictures would be great also. I guess that with so many models available the makers can never seem to make room for those extra pictures/angles that I always want to see!

I just ordered the LH09 rig two weeks ago. I'm running a standard LH rig now but I needed the pistols angled out to clear my gut and shotgun belt. Can't wait to get it! Remember pards! Kirkpatrick is running a sale right now. To the end of May, if you spend 450 bucks, you get 75 bucks off! Got to mention the "Fathers day" when you place your order of check out.

Gringo, Slowhand Pedro no like to be rushed! Just went to check t out and sure enough the sale actually runs through June They have this little game you can play where you list and add in the variations you like and it builds your model rig for you. I went pretty high end and still came up close to 20% discount and that is a lot of savings. Should I decide to play for real I will bring some questions to you guys on the WIRE who have similar rigs and know what to seek and what to avoid.

Archived