SASS Wire Forum

Don't Ignore That Little Pain

J-BAR #18287

Some of you may recall that I broke my kneecap about two months ago. Noz and others had a good time razzing me about it. But I was lucky...I did not have to have surgery, just keep the knee in a padded brace and take it easy for a couple of months, then rehab.

Last Thursday night at bedtime, I felt a mild pain in my upper right chest. Not bad, about like the stitch you get when you walk too fast, but I could not get comfortable. So I swallowed my pride and called the after-hours nurse at my doctor's office. She recommended going to the emergency room.

I'm glad she did. My heart is in great shape, but I had a pulmonary embolism. My injured leg started throwing blood clots into my lungs. The reduced mobility and pressure from the brace allowed clots to form. I spent Friday and Saturday in the hospital, starting on anti-coagulant medication. They sent me home when I told them I could give my own shots twice a day until the pills kick in.

So this post is not an attempt to get sympathy. I feel fine now, no pain, normal activity, glad to be home and breathing, getting a lot of blood tests this week to monitor my blood clotting factors. I am just posting this because we guys tend to ignore symptoms, not wanting to be seen as a candy ass or a hypochondriac. The pain I experienced on Thursday really was not much of a pain at all, and I was embarrassed when I entered the Emergency Room. I had it checked out only because I remembered my Dad had ignored his symptoms of heart attack, and I did not want to wind up like him.

Moral of the story, if you experience an unusual pain or any other kind of symptom, even if it is not severe, get it checked out. Let's keep the Wire roster full.

Take care of yourself, J-Bar! Had a scare like that last year. Tests were negative, but at least I know it's all right.

I have to ignore most pains or move across the street from the hospital. :)

But seriously, some things you have to pay attention to. Chest pains are up at the top of the list.

You know how I feel about it. You can't do anything right! Even get well from a broken bone.

Get well J-BAR!!

Hope to get a chance to see you this winter. We are presently staying in Bull Shoals.

Your pard,

Marty Mudd

Archived