SASS Wire Forum

Going east

Blackey Cole

Well it looks like I'm heading to Georgia for the holidays. Plus some time. I'm planing on bring several hundred rounds of 38-40 with me to shoot at matches between the Covington and Gainesville area maybe even over to Dawson co. To shoot some matches.

Now here's the problem, if I'm there for an extend time I may run out of loaded ammo. Anyone in that area reload that caliber? If so would you be willing to help out a traveling shooter? I'll pay for the components and buy dinner or lunch for the time.

What kind of reloading press do you use to reload that caliber? Seems to me if you bring dies and everything else with you all you need is access to a press.

Wouldn't it be easier to bring lots of extra ammo? Figure out what you need and double it! :lol:

Everytime I go to a major shoot I keep loading ammo until my wife asks if the war is expected to last for more than a year.

As to bringing more ammo, if you fly or take any public transportation, you are limited to 11 pounds total.

Now, don't you feel safer!!!

Good suggestions, but a fellow shooter is also asking to make contact with a fellow cowboy, so if we can help him out, let''s do it.

Blackey

I would be happy to load .38 or .45C for you and let you shoot my guns. Will check with the cowboys/girls at Riverbend to see if any load 38-40.

If you are going to take all the components with you, why not purchase a LEE single stage press, mount it on a short piece of 2X6 and C-Clamp it on the kitchen table of your RV. Load away at your leisure, to the amount needed. Easily stored when not in use.

RBK

If you're there for an extended time you could also order extra ammo from Georgia Arms. I don't have space yet to set up for reloading so I've been ordering all of my cowboy ammo from them and have had excellent service so far.They offer 38-40 cowboy loads on there website.

The Georgia Arms stuff comes in Starline brass. This is a good way of getting Starline brass if the sources for brass-alone are backordered.

I load .38-40 but am in central NC.

The idea of a mobile press may be a good idea. I loaded 300 rounds a month on a Lee handpress for fifteen years. It still gets taken to range to work up loads.

First I'm not taking the Rv if i was the press and components would be going with me. The problem is limited space to carring stuff and store it when I get there. I had heard there was a reloading source in ga but i doubted that they carried the caliber in question as it is quite rare. I thinking of bring a 45 colt backup set since it would be a hole lot easier to find ammo for. I'm thinking of carring the pistols already to see if I could sell them or trade trade them so I would only be bringing an extra rifle. I have reasons for bringing the 38wcf to show my father the finish engraving job on the pair. Jim downing did a nice job on them at EOT this year to finish them. Be a span of several years to get them fully engraved. Started with the grip frames then I switched out to 1860 army grips so thos had to be redone, then the next thing then finally after missing a year or two I got the last section engraved. It wasn't cheap, between the guns, action work and engraving if I wanted to I could have bought almost any cowboy gun(s) I wanted. But I did I compared the USFA to colt and felt the USFA were a better deal. You pay tomuch for a colt name. And I like shooting mine.

Archived