SASS Wire Forum

A Thing of Beauty

Subdeacon Joe

I really like the distortion around the fire ball and the projectile out front.

The military has learned how to get these photos. You can find them showing many different big guns shooting.

What they do is run very high speed, high definition video or film.

Then pick the best image from the sequence.

They would have to shoot all day to get one good photo if they were doing one image at a tme.

Now, I don't care how they do it, as long as they share!

The military has learned how to get these photos. You can find them showing many different big guns shooting.

What they do is run very high speed, high definition video or film.

Then pick the best image from the sequence.

Years ago my friend Chuck used to do field service for industrial automated batch mixing equipment. Most of his clients were concrete plants but his favorite was a munitions plant where they used the equipment he serviced to mix the powder used to load artillery shells. On their test range they had a special target box that worked like an optical chronograph - when a projectile passed through it, it would trigger a high speed camera and they'd get a perfect still photo of the projectile in flight. Their shells were loaded so accurately that they knew how far the projectile would rotate between the gun and the box. For VIP visits they could write the person's name on the projectile, load it into the gun with just the right orientation, and have the camera box get a photo of their name as it flew by. Chuck showed me the photo they gave him. He joked that he knew he'd never die from a gunshot wound because the bullet with his name on it had already been fired.

Not only is Birdgun Quail's bullet-in-flight impressive, but I marvel at the dedication of the club members who had to work so hard to provide all those bottles on the wall...

Cheers! ;):D

Not only is Birdgun Quail's bullet-in-flight impressive, but I marvel at the dedication of the club members who had to work so hard to provide all those bottles on the wall...

Cheers! ;):D

They were not the Baptist Category folks. :lol:

Archived