SASS Wire Forum

Sorry, shouldn't have posted this here, topic deleted

Clay Mosby

Been through the same thing with my pit bull when we put my 17 1/2 year old male lab down.My pit is 4 1/2 or 5 years old but she loved him.What got her over it was my son's dog.She would lay down and the pup would start getting on her and biting her and she got to playing with the pup after about 4 days. Now she is fine.Prayers up for your friend and for you and your family.

Captain Jack is still very strong in my heart. It is hard to lose a four footed friend. My advice is to enjoy what time you have and make the pup as comfortable as you can. The good Lord will take care of the rest.

Of course I will add the prayers.

If the veterinarian cannot give you a definite diagnosis, then how can the vet be sure the dog will not recover?

It is your pet and your wallet and you have a tough choice to make, but there are a number of relatively inexpensive tests that will give you some answers. A comprehensive blood chemistry profile and complete blood count should not break your budget. Forget about x-rays until you can focus on a definite part of the body that is under suspicion.

Rather than time for a new pet, it might be time for a new vet. Get a second opinion.

Speaking from 25 years private veterinary practice experience...

We've gotten a second opinion, both from vets we have a great deal of respect for. We had a couple of the simpler tests that we could afford done, and diagnosis was based on those and other symptoms.

I'm sorta sorry I brought this up here. I was hoping for some moral support from a great group of folks, that while i haven't met personally, I have every respect for.

What I was not expecting, was a coulda shoulda woulda lecture regarding what I or the vet could or should have done.

BMC and PitBull Tex, thanks for the kind words.

I've lost a bunch of goodies and down to the last dog I think I'll ever have...getting too hard to lose them! This border collie has had major shoulder/elbow surgery but finally was getting to the point of having to put him down. Finally I just quit giving him rimidil to ease the joint inflammation and danged if he didn't improve to the point he's pretty mobile for a 14 yr old dog. Get some tests done and don't give up just because the get off their feed!

Thanks Lumpy. I need to remember that we've been living this for the past 6 weeks, so perhaps have processed it to the point where there is a bit of resignation to what will likely be the outcome.

For that J-Bar, I do apologize for my response.

I've lost dogs before, but Arlo is Special. I've loved all the dogs, but Arlo is beyond measure my favorite.

Not unusual for a pet to slip away after the loss of a long time friend. They can get broken hearts too. They will cross the rainbow bridge together.

Clay, you deleted your information before I had a chance to read it. I can only surmise what it was about based on the responses. You and East Coast are in my prayers. I understand how difficult it is to watch a great friend and companion suffer. May there be an end to all of your suffering soon.

No apology necessary, and I am sorry if my post upset you. In my years of veterinary practice I encountered pet owners who would not even spend $20 on a complete blood count to try to find out what was ailing their pet. And I also encountered veterinarians who did not want to be bothered by trying to figure out what was wrong with a pet. I was trained to be an advocate for the animal as much as possible.

I'm glad to learn you did some tests and got a second opinion. I admire you for doing so, and I think you have done well for your pet.

My condolences on your loss. It was never easy for me to put any animal down, whether it was my own or a client's. I hope you will understand that was where I was coming from.

I do understand J-Bar, and thank you. I'm dealing with very raw emotions right now as I don't think I've ever been as attached to a four-footed friend as I am with Arlo, and reacted hastily and incorrectly.

Calamity, we are indeed facing the possible loss of a four-footed family member. While there is an extremely remote chance he might come around, we're trying to come to grips with the fact that more than likely sometime in the next few weeks he'll go to sleep and not wake up.

On July 19th I had to put my 11 year old Schnauzer down.....I cried more over my dog than when my Mother died two weeks earlier on July 4th.......It was a blessing to know Mother was no longer suffering after watching her deteriorate for the past 3 years in a Nursing home. But losing my little buddy knocked a huge hole in my heart. It leaves a void that will never be filled, but the memories provide some comfort and time will lessen the pain.....

Clay, in times like this, I wish I could muster magic words of comfort for you and your family. Please know that you have my deepest condolences, and that you and your family, that meaning Arlo of course, will be in my thoughts and meditations.

Archived