SASS Wire Forum

Pre-1960 Ladies of the Silver Screen

Subdeacon Joe

Great tribute to some gorgeous ladies. I'm sure that there will be comments about "How could she put (name) so high, but (name 2) so low? To which I say, "De gustibus non est disputandum."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QlSgOtHNHo

A lot of elegant, dignified ladies shown. It is a shame that those qualities seem to have been discarded by so many of the "stars" of today.

Boy, that was fun! I would add:

Carol Landis

Barbara Stanwyck

Cyd Charisse

Dinah Shore

Ida Lupino

Inger Stevens

Joanne Woodward

Rosemary Clooney

Cyd Charisse was in there.

I thought it was a pretty good list. Being personal preferences, I would add some, change a few around. For me, I would have to start with Natalie Wood at number one, followed by Audrey Hepburn, Rita Hayworth and on. Hedy (not Hedley) Lamarr would be on the list, although whenever I look at her, I just think about how brilliant she was.

Cyd Charisse was in there.

I thought it was a pretty good list. Being personal preferences, I would add some, change a few around. For me, I would have to start with Natalie Wood at number one, followed by Audrey Hepburn, Rita Hayworth and on. Hedy (not Hedley) Lamarr would be on the list, although whenever I look at her, I just think about how brilliant she was.

OT - My mother had been told numerous times she looked and sounded much like Hedy Lamarr. They shared the same birth name as well.

OT - My mother had been told numerous times she looked and sounded much like Hedy Lamarr. They shared the same birth name as well.

She must have been quite a beautiful lady.

Only a total fool would attack such a project.

All are lovely, some more than others.

Comes down to chocolate and vanilla.

Only a total fool would attack such a project.

All are lovely, some more than others.

Comes down to chocolate and vanilla.

There's a difference between attacking and questioning why some either weren't included, or were placed where they were.

I didn't see Ginger or Mary Ann on that list, but of course, they were of another era.

Close but no cigar, ladies.

Correction:

Tina Louise did appear on stage and in Hollyweird in the mid 50's

She must have been quite a beautiful lady.

She was. I have a fantastic glam picture of her from the early 50s. I'll have to find it and post it.

Hedy Lamarr was not only a beautiful, sexy movie star, but had a brilliant scientific mind. She and a friend invented and patented frequency skipping techniques and equipment which is used to prevent enemy from intercepting communications between things such as torpedoes and the command transmitters, etc. The technique is still in use today! IIRC today is her birthday! So is mine! :) I'll go along with Natalie Wood being one of the top movie stars. Just watched her and James Garner in "Cash McCall". (Although one of the "sexier" things in that movie was the converted B-26 (in the days BBJ's...Before BizJets!). Too bad they are both gone now.

oops….my mistake………...

How about Gina Lolabrigida???

oops….my mistake………...

How about Gina Lolabrigida???

I believe so. Edit: #20

I would have placed Grace Kelly at the top of the list with Ingrid Bergman close behind.

Was there any explanation as to how the ranking was made?

For sure not the women of Walmart!

It is purely the video creator's personal preference.

I would have placed Grace Kelly at the top of the list with Ingrid Bergman close behind.

Was there any explanation as to how the ranking was made?

For sure not the women of Walmart!

It is purely the video creator's personal preference.

Yep. The title of it is "The 40 Most Beautiful Actresses Pre-1960 (my preferences) " Just actresses the person really likes.

Archived