SASS Wire Forum

1974 Tornado Super Outbreak

Cypress Sun

On this date, in 1974, the mid U.S. was devastated by the tornado "Super Outbreak". Over 300 people were killed and numerous injured. Back then, taking video was rare and seldom done. I remember watching the Xenia OH video on the news and thinking.....Oh my God, how could anyone survive that.

Were any of ya'll affected by the storms of that day?

CS

I lived in Xenia before the tornado, the house I had lived in was leveled, being right behind the high school, I drive through there often when I drive south for Guns of August... God was Merciful that day to Xenia, the jr hi and high school were direct hits, but it was after school was out and as the tornado turned west thru town it missed the hospital and an elementary school.

Talked to one man who worked in a service station on 42-35 just a block from downtown, he saw it coming and the only thing that saved him was holding onto the lift column for dear life.

I'd lived in Xenia, also, back in the early 60's... and down the road a bit in Oldtown.

Moved from there to Texas... where we had a storm cellar!

(Used to stuff my candy wrappers into the cannon barrel on the Courthouse Square.) :rolleyes:

Xenia storm:

On April 10 1979, There was a F4-F5 tornado that took out a half mile wide strip of Wichita Falls. I'm still doing repairs to houses damaged and built because of that tornado. We've been lucky that we haven't had one since, but it did teach us the value of being prepared.

never been on the wrong side of a tornado, and dunt ever wanna be!!! Was in Rapid City in 1972 when it flooded....thankfully we were staying at the KOA on the outskirts of town up on a hill, that probably saved us....

mom grew up in Kansas, dad on the Wyoming/Nebraska border, so I heard plenty of stories of twisters growin' up, to this day the two natural disasters that scare me the most are tornados and floods!

I've never hidden from one, course a large one has never been close, I watch and listen,,,, maybe I taint tuu smart....

a very small one hit about 3/8s of a mile a few years ago, sun was out, was working in the driveway and heard what sounded like metal roofing flapping in the wind, it was! it came down and then went back up in just over 1/4 mi....

I did burn up a turbo in my truck out running storms in Missouri while heading for winter range.....

I had an uncle that lived in Xenia. Everyone in his family was fine, his house only suffered minor damage. As I recall, his stepson worked at a KFC, and rode out the storm in a walk in freezer.

We were in town the next day, and even though I was young at the time, many of the memories are still with me. My Dad has always been an avid amateur photographer and took rolls of pictures. I need to try to track them down some day.

I've seen a couple of tornados since that time from a little closer than I would like to be for comfort. I hope not to again.

After it got through with Tushka, it came to see me! This was in 2013 and this same storm went on to devastate Joplin MO. Once I lived in a oak/hickory forest and now dwell on the prairie cause it blowed all away. We rode it out in a closet as did our neighbors and a miracle now one was killed. We all have storm cellars now....I also have a safe room. Was in the 1970 Lubbock, TX tornado too!

texas tech put out plans years ago for a safe room,,, if I lived in area frequented by that kind of weather Ide surely have one!

I was a kid growing up not too far from Xenia. It was a freaky bad day with much that went wrong, but I remember my folks and others helping out which made a huge impression on me. Xenia was the biggest, but not the only storm that went through SW Ohio that day.

My town was pretty much destroyed by a tornado in 78. We had went to a horse show that was rained out. We headed home and stopped at the grocery store on the way home. My wife went in and got a few things. When she came out, she said lets go. It was dead calm. As we left town, I could see the leaves turning over behind me and the sun was shining south of town. My wife was the last one out of the store.

Archived