SASS Wire Forum

WHAT! NO CLAYS?

Paden

I have been told that Clays is not available until 2014. What do I substitute that will give me similar results? (4.5 grains is in use in my 45's and 44-40's).

Thanks,

Paden

Call Hodgdon & ask them & don't put load data in posts would be good advice. :blush:

Clay Dot is a VERY close substitute. Although Alliant does not publish handgun case loading data for Clay Dot, I use the Clays load data as a starting point and have had excellent results in .38 spl and 45 Colt loads. And for 12 gauge loads, it loads exactly same weight as Clays load data.

Good luck, GJ

Use Solo 1000! It measures easier, is not position sensitive, and works better in all temperatures and climates!!

Use Solo 1000! It measures easier, is not position sensitive, and works better in all temperatures and climates!!

FYI the latest jug of Solo 1000 I saw says it is not to be loaded in handgun cartridges.

FYI the latest jug of Solo 1000 I saw says it is not to be loaded in handgun cartridges.

I googled Solo 1000:

Accurate Powders is an American company that definitely lives up to its name. The complete line of smokeless powders for handguns, rifles, and shotguns is engineered and lab-tested to maximize the precision and performance . Accurate uses the best ballistic technicians and the highest quality components together to assure that every gun is better served with Accurate Powders

Accurate Solo 1000 is a fast burning, single-base, flake shotgun powder. Solo 1000 was the pioneer in the clean burning revolution and is an excellent choice for trap, sporting clays, and skeet shooting. Solo 1000 is an ultra clean burning powder that is well suited for target handgun loads in 45 ACP and Cowboy Action cartridges.

NO sh---, I mean, no kidding.

I was in the same position 3 weeks ago.

Scored some IMR 700x which is about the same load as Clays.

Didn't change any settings on my 650.

Loaded up 25 shots and took it to the range.

Maybe a little hotter but I like some feedback from my open tops.

Got some Trail Boss too but haven't loaded that up yet.

Hope you find a good substitute too.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Thanks all. Now, do I have my local gun shop order my choice or can I order without an FFL?

I googled Solo 1000:

Accurate Powders is an American company that definitely lives up to its name. The complete line of smokeless powders for handguns, rifles, and shotguns is engineered and lab-tested to maximize the precision and performance . Accurate uses the best ballistic technicians and the highest quality components together to assure that every gun is better served with Accurate Powders

Accurate Solo 1000 is a fast burning, single-base, flake shotgun powder. Solo 1000 was the pioneer in the clean burning revolution and is an excellent choice for trap, sporting clays, and skeet shooting. Solo 1000 is an ultra clean burning powder that is well suited for target handgun loads in 45 ACP and Cowboy Action cartridges.

Most interesting. I wonder why the info on the jug disagreed?

I was at the local gun shop today looking for Clays. Saw the Clay Dot but the bottle only said for shotshells.

Yep, that is what the bottle says. Well, actually, that is not what my caddies of CD say. They simply say '12 gauge shotgun powder.' You can go with that statement you believe you saw, though, if that is what makes you safe. ;)

Or you can be careful while working up your load. After all, we are "pushing the bounds of science" with most of our Cowboy loads. (Not)

Alliant's web site and product data simply says its "optimal use is in 12 gauge target shotshell loads."

Seriously, when they have not taken the time to work up data, they pretty well have to have some limiting language to keep the lawyers at bay.

Good luck, GJ

Good powder, but have you looked around for it?

Use it in all my pistol loads 'cause it fills the case fuller than most pistol powders. Use it in both the rifle and pistol loads because the velocity spreads are close to no spread at all, but mostly because accuracy is very good. One of the first powders I ever chronographed that showed so little velocity spread AND accuracy to match.

Only problem with it is finding any to buy.

If I have the time to go back today I may buy some then. They had plenty on the shelves and I have 500 cases cleaned, sized & primed. Just needed to find powder. Then I can start on the next 500. Should pick up more primers while I am there. They had a shelf full of those. First time I have seen their shelves so full in months.

I've been buying my Solo 1000 from Graf's and from Outpost Armory in Murfreesboro, TN.

Outpost is our main match sponsor for The Regulators' Reckoning, our Tennessee State S.A.S.S. Championship Match.

I have not had to buy this year because I made a bulk purchase last fall.

Could you be thinking of Nitro 100 (the other Accurate shotgun powder) rather than Solo 1000? I have a jug of Nirto 100 from 2009 that labeled "Do Not Use For Handgun Loads" (I have never seen that label on Solo 1000). Checking the vendors FAQ on Nitro 100 I found:

"

We unfortunately had to change the manufacturer for Nitro 100 early in 2009. This was due to factors outside our control.

Handgun Calibers:

There was am initial caution/warning re handgun calibers however, that was just a prelim measure because the handgun data will be different. We are in process of developing loads for this powder in handgun calibers.

For the interim we suggest a reduction of - 10% for both the start and maximum loads relative to any old original Nitro100 data.

"

Could you be thinking of Nitro 100 (the other Accurate shotgun powder) rather than Solo 1000? I have a jug of Nirto 100 from 2009 that labeled "Do Not Use For Handgun Loads" (I have never seen that label on Solo 1000). Checking the vendors FAQ on Nitro 100 I found:

"

We unfortunately had to change the manufacturer for Nitro 100 early in 2009. This was due to factors outside our control.

Handgun Calibers:

There was am initial caution/warning re handgun calibers however, that was just a prelim measure because the handgun data will be different. We are in process of developing loads for this powder in handgun calibers.

For the interim we suggest a reduction of - 10% for both the start and maximum loads relative to any old original Nitro100 data.

"

Might be!

Archived