SASS Wire Forum

Any Thoughts on a Marlin 45-70?

My local store has a blue Marlin 45-70 (20" JM barrel) in mint condition on the used rack for $475. I don't have anything in this caliber except for a Mauser .458 Win. Mag. Should I snap it up and then have to hunt for brass, dies, Dillon conversion kits, etc. or just let it pass? I just think it looks cool. One of my clubs has matches that allow for a big bore stage. Probably the only time I'd use it.

Anyone have adventures with this critter?

althought I don't presently own one, I have had a couple Marlins in 45-70 and LOVE EM!

they are tough.

I'm assuming the condition was good enough (mint, as you stated) that it caught your attention and if so, the $475 is a good deal.......in my opinion.

..........Widder

That sounds like a fair price. I have a Marlin Limited II in 45/70, my barrel is a little longer and octagon. It is a little punishing to shoot with 405 gr. bullets at the least powder recommended of Hodgon 4198. I purchased a decellerator butt pad from Pachmayr and it is really fun to shoot now. I also got a Wild West trigger off of the SASS site. Have fun.

That sounds like a fair price. I have a Marlin Limited II in 45/70, my barrel is a little longer and octagon. It is a little punishing to shoot with 405 gr. bullets at the least powder recommended of Hodgon 4198. I purchased a decellerator butt pad from Pachmayr and it is really fun to shoot now. I also got a Wild West trigger off of the SASS site. Have fun.

I experienced the same thing. A Winchester 1886 is better suited for heavier loads.

At $475 its a buy. If it meets the two year rule, sell it. That's what happened to my Marlin Cowboy 45-70. Didn't shoot it for 2 years so sold it.

I had the typical luck when I got my marlin 45-70

run the gun at everyday hunting type or target practice, speeds, it feeds fine

run the gun at side match speeds, if wont feed reliablly, even with spring change testing

I have one of the 1 of 1000 LTD, and it is a good gun. It shoots HARD, and will knock the snot out of you with it's recoil while shooting stout loads, and, the action will indeed take a much stronger load than most 45-70 guns will. About the only thing stronger is the Siamese Mauser action ... but it gets the job done nicely. I've not tried to run mine like my 73, but it seems to operate just fine, and I've never had a feed problem. I've used it for Cowboy Silhouette.... maybe Mad Mike just has problems because he has 6 fingers on his right hand. ;)

Snakebite

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

If it has Ballard style rifling it should be ok. If it's Micro groove rifling then accuracy using lead bullets is not very good..

Thats not true...Slug your bore find the right bullet to match your rifle....There is plenty of history to support my position on Marlin Owners web site....

I have the blued 1895G guide gun with the JM ported barrel that I used when I used to hunt. It is my favorite rifle and I absolutely love it. Mine has the Ballard style rifling, is scoped, and is a one inch gun at 100 yards with factory Federal Classic 300 grain Speer Hot-Cor ammo. It's a tough gun in a tough caliber that will anchor anything on this planet with the right load. I just wish I had an 1895 that was cowboy legal. Damn. Now I need another gun.

I have the Cowboy long octagonal barrel model; fitted a recoil pad to ease the abuse on my throwing arm.

Shotgun Boogie did an action/trigger/spring kit job, and it is the best big bore rifle I have ever owned, pencils down.

And it's as FAST as you can humanly shoot a .45-70.

Cheers,

FJT

I know an Alaska bush pilot who carries a custom cut down model in his plane in case he's forced down in a griz area (which is pretty much everywhere up there) ;)

It's a .45-70, not anything else. The Marlin is just about big and strong enough to handle a .45-70. Whether it has Ballard or Micro-Groove rifling, if you fit the bullet to the bore, it'll shoot fine. Just don't go hot-roddin' it!

I would expect any Marlin in .45-70 will handle any loads listed in the manuals. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the Marlin action is long enough to handle the 500 gr. bullets. The advantage to the Marlin action is that you can mount a scope central-over-bore. Personally, I prefer a late-production M1886 Winchester with a nickel steel or a modern chrome-moly steel barrel, which can handle 500 grain bullets, or 405 gr. jacketed flat soft point seated out longer. Great rifle in heavy brush, especially where griz might be hiding. But, I'd say grab the Marlin.

I own 3 of the Marlins. A first year BO serial number, a Cowboy and a limited II (18 inch octagon). They shoot very well and do anything you could ask of a 45/70. 500 grain bullets have to be seated very deeply and overall length needs to be 2.55 inches for flawless feeding. I use mine for hunting and plinking, never used it for CAS long range, but think it would work fine.

Several years back, I was working at a place called Shoe's Gun Rack. We were just down Main st in Speedway, IN from the Brickyard. One day Dave Marcus comes in and looks at one of our Marlins in 45-70. We check on the legalities of an out of state sale. We can do it, no problem. Marcus asks if a friend buys our other one would we cut a deal? Sure. Marcus comes back later with Dale Earnhart to but the 2 guns. Jr was there also. I figure if it was good enough for Dale then................

Archived