SASS Wire Forum

Kid wears NRA shirt at school - gets suspended and arrested

Seems overboard - but alas, who knows the rest of the story...big 8th grader with alot of hair though :D

Maybe it was because he was wearing a shirt that 'rudely displays a rifle' :lol: .... :huh:

http://www.wowktv.com/story/22020264/8th-grade-student-arrested-over-gun-t-shirt

GG ~ :FlagAm:

From what I read and saw on his shirt, I didn't see a problem with it at all.

But I would have to read the school policy also..........

Each story has two sides. But going on what I just saw and read, the kid was within his rights ! :FlagAm::FlagAm:

From what I read and saw on his shirt, I didn't see a problem with it at all.

But I would have to read the school policy also..........

Each story has two sides. But going on what I just saw and read, the kid was within his rights ! :FlagAm::FlagAm:

According to the news report:

The Logan County School District's dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images.

Can you say LAWSUIT !

Why should we let some mambi pambi dictate how we should act just so as not to offend them?

purdy boy

According to the news report:

The Logan County School District's dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images.

The term "more" indicates that there maybe elaborate terms and definitions in the document.

But I do agree with CC.........we should not let some over active mind(s) or mindless folk to take over what we fought for.

Strange world we live in. You have all kinds of rights and delays before being arrested for gang-raping an unconscious 15 year old girl, but you get an instant arrest for wearing a T-Shirt with a gun on it.

The term "more" indicates that there maybe elaborate terms and definitions in the document.

But I do agree with CC.........we should not let some over active mind(s) or mindless folk to take over what we fought for.

Did you watch the video? - the reporter had the document in hand...

Kind of like the Sergent's story. I am all for standing up for ones' constitutional rights......That said, in todays polictically charged enviroment, a person needs to pick and choose carefully when to express their veiws. I am thinking in the middle of a classroom during a teaching session is not the right place.

I am also thinking the shirt was just the catalyst that started a heated debate that got out of hand.

Oh, on the record, I AIN'T a TEACHER :blink:

So... once again some are quick to blame the victim for having their civil rights violated. Unreal. "pick and choose when to express there (sic) views" "discretion would have been better"

When are we going to learn that unless Americans are willing to stand together to assert our 2A and 1A rights then we'll continue to lose them? THis particularly applies to gun owners. Here's the VP of the United States on the subject: "NO ORDINARY AMERICAN CARES ABOUT HIS CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS".

SH** maybe he's right!

http://www.westernjournalism.com/biden-no-ordinary-american-cares-about-their-constitutional-rights/

while I believe there was over reaction here, I also have to think that some of the blame has to go to the kid and/or parents.

Sure , I believe the kid should be able to wear the shirt, but given the climate in this country right now, perhaps discretion would have been better? If you know you're going to upset people with what you wear or say, you shouldn't be surprised at how they react. IMHO.

True..there should be common sense on both sides. the story said the kid was arrested but never said what he was arrested for, not taking off the shirt?, Maybe arguing about it with the teacher in class?

My son is in high school here in Texas and school policy says this:

Students are not to wear T-shirts, jewelry, body adornments or items of clothing with pictures, logos, phrases, letters/words printed on them that are obscene or disruptive in nature in the judgment of the principal/designee. This shall include, but shall not be limited to:

• Clothing with satanic, cult, or gang expressions - a list of apparel prohibited under this provision will be posted on each campus in the same location as the Student Code of Conduct

• Nude/semi-nude figures

• Pictures or logos of alcoholic beverages or tobacco, obscene gestures or words or pictures that depict prohibited substances

• Figures in sexually suggestive postures

Even thought it does not mention guns at all he checked with the Principal and the man said if it was simply a gun to not wear it so as to NOT cause a disruption...but if a weapon was shown in a t-shirt that is a military theme..then that is ok. See..common sense.

while I believe there was over reaction here, I also have to think that some of the blame has to go to the kid and/or parents.

Sure , I believe the kid should be able to wear the shirt, but given the climate in this country right now, perhaps discretion would have been better? If you know you're going to upset people with what you wear or say, you shouldn't be surprised at how they react. IMHO.

So if you are not P.C.you should not do it.Horsecrap the young man had every right to wear the tshirt.and his dad is doing the right thing what a lesson he is teaching his son.

So... once again some are quick to blame the victim for having their civil rights violated. Unreal. "pick and choose when to express there (sic) views" "discretion would have been better"

When are we going to learn that unless Americans are willing to stand together to assert our 2A and 1A rights then we'll continue to lose them? THis particularly applies to gun owners. Here's the VP of the United States on the subject: "NO ORDINARY AMERICAN CARES ABOUT HIS CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS".

SH** maybe he's right!

http://www.westernjournalism.com/biden-no-ordinary-american-cares-about-their-constitutional-rights/

+1 I don't understand it either.

SH** maybe he's right!

Amen.

But what I want to know is what was he charged with?

"Marcum now faces two charges for obstruction and disturbing the education
process. The charges are a result that broke out between the 8th grader
and a Logan middle school teacher. The incident comes just days after
lawmakers failed to pass extended background checks on gun."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/8th-grader-gun-t-shirt-arrest-charged-after-arguing-with-teacher-over-policy-video-94335/

ok, since only those who agree are allowed an opinion, will remove mine.

Hello Clay,

Next time you feel you are being attacked to the point you must delete your posts, you should notify a Moderator. We cannot reconstruct or "Moderate" when the posts are deleted.

Regards,

Allie Mo

No worry Allie Mo, don't need any moderation. :D

Some folks don't want to see any opinions that differ from theirs, so I removed mine. :P

Your opinion is fine - we all have 'em - Lord knows I've given mine and have been flamed to the hilt.

Sometimes I felt I'm right bar none, sometimes others opinions about my opinion made me think, other times I felt an apology was in order....

It's all good - can't take this internet stuff personal..especially on the Wire or Saloon ;) .

Rudely displaying a t-shirt.......the school has a right to a dress code and the students are normally notified of said dress code......unless he raised a stink when confronted about the t-shirt, I don't see any criminal charges unless West Virginia has some weird laws.....

Can you say LAWSUIT !

So you are going to file suit against the school district, which is supported by your tax dollars.....not sure I understand those of us that are so quick to bring legal action.

Hell fellers...........dis here's da Saloon !

Now...I like ta scrape as good as any other feller, but dis place is fer drinkin' an flirtin' an wild partyin' an drinkin' !

Did I mention drinkin' is done in dis fine establishment ?

Now....I just may be home from da horsepital but I'll stand ONE SMALL ROUND, NO BOLLTLES OR KEGS FER ALL WHO ENTER HERE !

Glad to hear you're home, hope you're feelin' better.

Getting my strength a little every day.

And feeling better too.

Still don't know what happened but the E.R. Sawbones said I almost passed on two times while on the E.R. table.

Archived