SASS Wire Forum

Anybody buy from GUNBROKER?

southparkslim

Howdy

I am thinking on bidding on an item on gun broker. I got singed in, placed a bid and then it asks for a credit card .Is this the normal way they operate? Thanks for any input..............thanks SPARK

If its to set up you gunbroker account they do ask for your credit card. I have made 25+ purchases from there and have never had an issue. With that said I always check the feedback from the seller before I bid.

JEL

My gunbroker account is tied to my checking account. After you set up your gunbroker account they pull one dollar to verify the checking account. I also thought it was a scam, but I guess it's how they do bussiness with certain accounts.I now have a balance credit with gunbroker, they pull a buck every year. I am sure they will credit to their fee should I ever sell a gun on there. Up till now I have only ever bought.

YES! If you have never done business on GunBroker prior to this transaction you are talking about, part of the registration process is to ask for your credit card number and they run a test transaction, hitting your account for a dollar or so.

After that, you shouldn't need to do it again, unless your card expires or something like that, but that's part of managing your account.

That's my experience, anyway....

Cat Brules.

I am on gunbroker all the time. I have bought a good many guns and other stuff. I usually contact the seller

after the auction is over and that is the end of my dealings with gunbroker as far as that item goes. No mention

of a credit card. NOW, I do not have an "acct" with gunbroker as far as paying.

Yep when you SIGN UP they do charge a card.

They don't charge ya anything else unless you sell something. You pay individual sellers when you buy things - a lot like eBay.

I've bought and sold on Gunbroker for a lot of years. It's a good outfit to deal with. I've got an A+ rating with 47 feedbacks so far. It's a lot like eBay. They started up years ago after eBay banned guns, ammo, magazines, etc. according to California laws.

Also, if you have a PayPal account... don't use it for gun related transactions. eBay owns PayPal and that's a good way to have your account shut down.

Most of my guns have been purchased on GB, and I've sold a few there, as well. They do want a credit card on file. I generally carry a "0" balance, and use the on-file card to pay any fees I owe for selling. That's pretty-much all the on-file card is used for.

I have bought many fire breathing guns and never a credit card.

I believe johnny is correct that you must have a credit card if you are selling.

Going to be 70 degrees and blue sky this weekend- shoot Straight dammmit

Okay, suprised nobody else posted this earlier - including myself.

Straight from the gunbroker web site

Fees for Using GunBroker.com

Bidding / Buying

We offer a free membership that will allow you to bid on items right away. For security reasons,
this option is only available to members who register with a paid, corporate, government or ISP
email address. Members that use an email address from a company that offers free email addresses
like Hotmail or Yahoo will be charged an activation fee of $1.00
. Persons
whose registration information is flagged as suspicious by our fraud prevention systems may be
charged a $2.00 fee to go through a detailed security check.

http://www.gunbroker.com/User/Fees.aspx

If its to set up you gunbroker account they do ask for your credit card. I have made 25+ purchases from there and have never had an issue. With that said I always check the feedback from the seller before I bid.

JEL

Absolutely coorrect

You must have a credit card on file to register for Gunbroker

Black Harris is wrong..you can look without registering, but not buy or sell

To buy or sell on Gunbroker and to have an account you must have a credit card on fiel

I have had a credit card on file with GB for at least the past 10 years

No problem

GB is extremely reputable and upstanding

I ave over 220 successful transactions on GB

Never the first problem

I opened a SEPARATE account at the bank, and got a credit card that I keep a very low limit on, associated with that account. I use this account for Pay Pal and for all internet transactions. I also use it for automatic payments to things like Dish Network, Cell phones etc. Once you give these type businesses your credit card number, you CAN NOT stop them from pulling their monthy fees. Even if they fail to deliver good service, you can not stop them. Well.... if you keep them tied to a small auxillary account, you can shut them off at ANY time by just closing the account. That seems to "Incourage" them to make things right. If I sell something, and the balance in that auxillery account starts to build up past a very low limit, I just transfer the excess funds into my main account. Even if you don't buy or sell very often, it is a good thing to do. It helps to protect your main account from attacks, and also provides you with some leverage when dealing with automatic payment withdrawals.

Snakebite

During this 'strange' period we have in the gun market, I've sold a couple of firearms and bought a couple on Armslist. No fees. I've heard horror stories about the site (the Craig'sList of the gun community, for example), but I've had good luck with it.

ymmv

Howdy

I am thinking on bidding on an item on gun broker. I got singed in, placed a bid and then it asks for a credit card .Is this the normal way they operate? Thanks for any input..............thanks SPARK

I'm betting your answer ultimately lies in post #16.

What Sixgun Shorty said. I've bought and sold a lot on GB and am completely satisfied. However, as with any classified or auction site you better watch the feedback, read the fine print, and do your homework before bidding!!!!!

I've bought a LOT of antique firearms on gunbroker and have never been asked for a credit card number. I am a registered buyer but not a seller.

Archived