SASS Wire Forum

We were all young once

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

Another thread, the one about Ted Nugent got me to thinking, how many of us continue to be branded for things we did when were young. Apparently Ted did not want to be drafted. I, for one, have no idea what extremes he may have gone to to keep out of the draft. I graduated from High school in '71 at the height of the demonstrations against the vietnam war. Myself I was against it, and felt great relief when I pulled a 336 in the draft.

HOWEVER, in January of 72 I got saved and a great many of my past ideas were given the boot and a strong vien of patriotism was born, that continues to this day.

To those who have held grudges against Ted, perhaps it is time to set yourself free and forgive him,,,after all he isn't the same person today that he was years ago.

Now, Jane Fonda,,,tha's another case,,,,she hasn't changed, least that I can tell. Maybe I'm wrong,,,,but...I don't give her any reign over me...however if she were to come out in favor guns rights,,,,I would have to check it out, carefully,, people change,,, I'd hate for everyone to know all my past indescressions....

just the view from my saddle...

Cheyenne

I joined the Navy in 69.

I've loved this country ever since I can remember and would do it all over again if needed.

The military isn't for everyone. But that nasty war back in those days was such a displacement on our soul and character that it is easy to understand why alot of good Americans tried to stay out of military service.

..........Widder

I give a big Amen on that one CS!

The only major problem I have is if someone did his utmost to stay out of serving back during the draft and yet has no qualms about sending someone else's sons and daughters to war.

When someone puts themselves out in the public eye as a spokesperson, they deserve the criticism they earn.

Another thread, the one about Ted Nugent got me to thinking, how many of us continue to be branded for things we did when were young. Apparently Ted did not want to be drafted. I, for one, have no idea what extremes he may have gone to to keep out of the draft. I graduated from High school in '71 at the height of the demonstrations against the vietnam war. Myself I was against it, and felt great relief when I pulled a 336 in the draft.

HOWEVER, in January of 72 I got saved and a great many of my past ideas were given the boot and a strong vien of patriotism was born, that continues to this day.

To those who have held grudges against Ted, perhaps it is time to set yourself free and forgive him,,,after all he isn't the same person today that he was years ago.

Now, Jane Fonda,,,tha's another case,,,,she hasn't changed, least that I can tell. Maybe I'm wrong,,,,but...I don't give her any reign over me...however if she were to come out in favor guns rights,,,,I would have to check it out, carefully,, people change,,, I'd hate for everyone to know all my past indescressions....

Cheyenne

+1

What ever he did. As far as I am concerned. He is making up for it now.

I have things in my past that I still have to deal with. And I am in no way the person I was back then.

Thank goodness those in my life know this, and have forgiven me for the past.

I can forgive many people for being young and stupid, but there are some who really need to pay for their past transgressions. Some have caused men to be tortured unto death and were never held accountable. Rather than being trie for treason they get to star as a first lady.

I am in a position a bit like Cheyenne's. My father (and then father in law) were both career Air Force officers and I did my best to get admitted to the Air Force Academy or, alternatively, the U.S. Naval Academy. Grades were fine and I had a Colorado congressman's commitment. After a 3-day physical at Fitzsimmons Army General Hospital in Denver, all was a go save the eyes. Both branches were looking for pilots to serve in Vietnam (this was 1964), and mine were not the required 20-20. Thereafter, I went on to college, harbored some common college-boy reservations about the war, and consoled myself that the military had had its chance--so like CC, was relieved when I drew something like 280 in the lottery. I knew the draft would go that far through the numbers. I knew I would not go to Canada to avoid the draft but was never really faced with the hard choice some faced.

Sixty-four years in, I have learned not to be too quick to judge others. I can find plenty about myself that could use improvement--and more examples of poor judgment in younger years than I would care to recall.

Cassalong Hopidy

"We were all young once"

Forty Rod wasn't.

:lol:

"We were all young once"

Forty Rod wasn't.

:lol:/>

UB, thanks for the chuckle.... :lol:

CC

What bothered me most was Carter welcoming back all the people you took off to Canada. Welcome them home, but put 2 years in the service and all is forgiven. That did not happen. My birthday was the 2nd year of the lottery when they changed the format. That was the only lottery I have ever won!!! So I went and joined up!! :FlagAm:

this is a great post

we were all young

we all made decisions, that we have to live with now

there are movies about grumpy old men

I choose to "not be grumpy"

ted rocks, punn intended

as his continued fight for the fight of our second amendment rocks

his ideals for proper game management rocks

his love and passion for life itself rocks

he feeds people with the game

he goes before cameras, talking the talk, and waling the talk

did I mention that

ted rocks mannn

grumpy old men, well, they are probably not living life to its fullest ;)

this is a great post

we were all young

we all made decisions, that we have to live with now

there are movies about grumpy old men

I choose to "not be grumpy"

ted rocks, punn intended

as his continued fight for the fight of our second amendment rocks

his ideals for proper game management rocks

his love and passion for life itself rocks

he feeds people with the game

he goes before cameras, talking the talk, and waling the talk

did I mention that

ted rocks mannn

grumpy old men, well, they are probably not living life to its fullest ;)/>

Grumpy is okay.

BItter....not so much.

Cheyenne

PURE BS

All I can say is that Ted has been a constant supporter of the military and has even toured Iraq and Afghanistan for the USO.

Well done. And remember to most Americans under 40, not only is the Vietnam war ancient history they don't even know who TED is outside of his Interviews.

Thats the nature of things, time moves on. Do you forgive those who have led a good life and done positive things since? That's an individual choice. But as opposed to Hanoi Jane I NEVER heard about Anti American Word, DEED or Photo from him!

You can be Anti War and still be Pro America...

And with few really effective 2nd Amendment voices out there supporting our rights, Ted is at the point of the Spear now...NUFF SAID!

Archived